You think that the protesters will return next year. (2010)

Started by G.I.R, May 28, 2009, 12:35:23 PM

Dagger-6

Sunday is church day, so hopefully we get a reprieve for the sabbath.  ;)

Rukia-Hitachiin

I think they'd make it an "after church event" on Sundays XD

apsykes

WAIT.... If you mean they attend almost all the major events...
Btw i was the dude praying to Jesus when he had the "The end is near, Sin while you still can!" sign
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

outcast

Dagger-6

Is there anyone that actually thinks they won't be back next year?

There was a person or two claiming that some of them got arrested for slapping someone in the military with a bible, but I haven't heard anything about this, so unless someone has some first-hand information on it, I'm filing it under the rumor-mill-gone-wild.

DerangedGenius

Quote from: trooper715 on June 06, 2009, 01:09:23 PM
Is there anyone that actually thinks they won't be back next year?

Doubt it. But hey, I'm not complaining! Those 'tards make for great entertainment. They're like an unscheduled event for the convention.  ;D

G.I.R

Quote from: trooper715 on June 06, 2009, 01:09:23 PM
There was a person or two claiming that some of them got arrested for slapping someone in the military with a bible, but I haven't heard anything about this, so unless someone has some first-hand information on it, I'm filing it under the rumor-mill-gone-wild.
Attack with a Dead-Sea Weapon?

There has got to be some dirt on these guys somewhere, but what would you look under?

Shinsengumi

I wouldn't be surprised if they show up again next year. And god hates us cause we're having fun, that's what I heard from one of the protestors.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

DentyneIce408

I wonder if they realize they're commiting the sin of Pride and forcing us cosplayers into the sin of sadness by saying awful words to us. I really wanted to tell them personally, "Who gave you the right to judge whose commiting a sin?"
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

Liquid

Quote from: DentyneIce408 on June 07, 2009, 05:04:01 PM
I wonder if they realize they're commiting the sin of Pride and forcing us cosplayers into the sin of sadness by saying awful words to us. I really wanted to tell them personally, "Who gave you the right to judge whose commiting a sin?"

Aye, I wanted to say it too, but I knew they wouldn't listen. I'm sure they've heard it all before from countless other people who have approached them. They are already set in their ways. They believe they are doing God's work. I say just ignore them. That's what'll tick them off more in the end. They want the attention.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

apsykes

If anyone wants to rick roll them epicly, can someone help me carry these to the front @ Fc(Fanine-Con, Not Further-Confusion, FANNIME-CON!):
-A High Cap. Battery Backup (ones used for computer)
-An 5.1(Min) Amp Speaker System
-5 Speakers
-1 Subwoofer
-Mp3 with "never gonna give you up" downloaded into it?

We'll Also need some people with camcorders, and ect.
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

Dagger-6

Can't do that.  It violates noise ordinances.  On Saturday the police came by to tell us to have one person turn down the music they were playing on a nifty belt-mounted speaker.

BrightHeart76

Quote from: apsykes on June 08, 2009, 08:49:52 PM
If anyone wants to rick roll them epicly, can someone help me carry these to the front @ Fc(Fanine-Con, Not Further-Confusion, FANNIME-CON!):
-5 Speakers
-1 Subwoofer

That would be really rude to the members having gatherings and photoshoots at the fountains.  We can't control the witnesses and how they affect the members, but we can control what we do. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

kakashifangurl1

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on June 08, 2009, 10:08:06 PM
Quote from: apsykes on June 08, 2009, 08:49:52 PM
-5 Speakers
-1 Subwoofer

That would be really rude to the members having gatherings and photoshoots at the fountains.  We can't control the witnesses and how they affect the members, but we can control what we do. 
Thank you BrightHeart76 I would like to note that this year The Bleach! gathering will be held on Saturday, as well as many other large gatherings

G.I.R

Quote from: trooper715 on June 08, 2009, 09:35:09 PM
Can't do that.  It violates noise ordinances.  On Saturday the police came by to tell us to have one person turn down the music they were playing on a nifty belt-mounted speaker.
But it's okay for the Zealots to use their bullhorn?

Dagger-6

Quote from: G.I.R on June 09, 2009, 05:00:38 PM
Quote from: trooper715 on June 08, 2009, 09:35:09 PM
But it's okay for the Zealots to use their bullhorn?

I'm not a lawyer or a police officer, nor do I have the time or inclination to go through SJ noise ordinances at this time, so I can't answer that question.  I will look up information later on to see if I can provide clearer guidance on the issue.

I can say that the police told us to have a congoer turn down the music they were playing on their speaker, so I would highly discourage any attempts to play excessively loud music outside.  Not only has law enforcement been seen to disapprove of this behavior, but it is inconsiderate to those trying to hold activities at the convention center entrance, as BrightHeart76 noted.

Dagger-6

Okay, from a quick run through, here's what I've come up with.

Again, I am not in legal affairs, so do not take any of this as legal counsel.  It's merely a contribution to a forum discussion.

We are assuming that the preachers do not have a permit for their bullhorn.  However, seeing as how the SJPD is well aware of their activities and recurring presence, as well as their possession and use of a bullhorn, if there were a legal issue, I trust the police to have acted upon it as they did when the sidewalks became blocked.

However, if there is an opportunity to confirm the legality of their bullhorn with the SJPD, I will inquire about it.

The issue of whether the preachers are a 'disturbance' is debatable.  To use they are a disturbance.  But to the SJPD, they are fully within their constitutional rights in their behavior.

Playing loud music in an attempt to drown out someone exercising first amendment rights is different.  You are not promoting any political or religious speech in that case.  You are simply trying to silence another person's speech.  Also, as members and attendees, you are representing Fanimecon.  The police have enough to deal with in handling one group of loud people.  If we can help out by having our members turn down their noise amplifying devices, or not forming a crowd, it will help us maintain good relations with the SJPD.

San Jose City Noise Ordinance
Reference:
http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/sanjose.htm

Liquid

I do not know the reason why, but on Monday there was no bullhorn present. They were just yelling out loudly.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Dagger-6

Good for us if that's the case.

Something to double-check/follow up with the SJPD on.