DO NOT WANT

Started by ichigocorcor, May 28, 2009, 12:55:35 PM

ichigocorcor

So, my friends and I decided that we were going to buy groceries instead of eating out. This was a good idea; I spent over $60 at a three-day con; the idea of eating out for five days was a little daunting. So buying groceries is a really good idea, because I spent instead a total of $30 and was able to feed 2-3 people. Plus I brought a rice cooker and a crock pot.

HOWEVER

if you're going to bring your own food, DO NOT BRING RAMEN ONLY. My friend and I ended up getting very, very sick from eating ramen all weekend. I see a lot of "how to eat at Fanime cheap" posts and threads that focus on eating ramen. DON'T DO IT. Ramen has waaay too much salt, and not enough nutrients, to power you through five days of the very physical demands of con.

Suggestion? Bring bread, peanut butter, bananas, jugs of tea and water, and dry cereals. None of these things need to be refrigerated, they have substance, and most importantly, they have nutrition!

Anyone else have food suggestions/horror stories?
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

G.I.R

Bring an Ice chest.  You can keep milk, cheese and other things that need to be kept cool.
As for the ramen, lots of salt.  No wonder you got sick.

ichigocorcor

Quote from: G.I.R on May 28, 2009, 01:00:22 PM
Bring an Ice chest.  You can keep milk, cheese and other things that need to be kept cool.
As for the ramen, lots of salt.  No wonder you got sick.

We got a mini fridge because our friend had medical issues, thankfully. Next year we are definitely bringing more solid food.
Cosplay Plans

Dagger-6

Granola bars are good.

When I was roving around, I would grab one or two fruit&nut bars to tide me over (and maybe spoil myself with a fruit danish in the morning).  Get you some calories, some sugar, and fairly healthy.  I wouldn't get hungry for a real meal until later on in the evening.

For instant noodles, you can invest in some of the higher quality ones.  They usually require a little more work but are much more filling and have more vegetables or other things in them.

For Ramen, go with the packets of noodles instead of the cups.  This way you can go without their super-high-sodium flavor packets and instead actually cook a little something on your own.  I prefer to just use chicken broth to flavor mine, and toss in some simple vegetables or something.

But yeah, granola bars, protein bars, meal replacement bars are all awesome.  The latter are usually a little pricier though.

deonchan

Crockpot is your best friend if you know how to use one. Try this on for size source: johnny wander

QuoteHere is my regular recipe for curry.  This makes enough curry for maybe 5 or more hungry people, with leftovers.  This is an excellent "bachelor" recipe.  It's quick to put together, you don't have to watch it, you really can't overcook it unless you're trying... there are not many ways to mess this up.

INGREDIENTS:
(x1) 8.4 oz. box S&B Golden Curry (I also keep another partial box on hand in case the flavor is too mild)
(x1) medium sized onion, cut into eighths or smaller
(x~3) russet potatoes or whatever potatoes you want, peeled and cut into large bite-sized chunks
(x~3) large carrots, peeled and cut into large bite-sized chunks
(x1) beef chuck roast, or whatever boneless meat you can get ahold of.  Do not trim the fat, or trim it minimally.  Cut into large bite-sized chunks.
A splash of milk or cream toward the end of cooking, if I feel like it.

NOTE: My group of friends-- save Ananth-- are big meateaters.  The beef is the most popular part of the curry.  I buy the biggest, fattiest, cheapest roast I can (~4lbs if I can).  Do not worry about the fat, it'll melt into the stew after 6-8 hours of cooking.

INSTRUCTIONS:
PUT EVERYTHING INTO THE SLOW COOKER.  COVER WITH JUST ENOUGH WATER TO COVER THE INGREDIENTS.  LEAVE IT ON LOW.  GO TO WORK.  COME BACK 6-8 HOURS LATER.  STIR. EAT.  YOUR HOUSE WILL SMELL LIKE CURRY FOR DAYS.

Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

G.I.R

Also try  pouches of tuna.  Nothing to drain, ready to eat.  Dried fruits are good to.  And last of all, don't forget paper plates, and plastic utensils.

Dagger-6

I was like...hey, that curry recipe sounds kind of good.  Until the last part.

"YOUR HOUSE WILL SMELL LIKE CURRY FOR DAYS."

DO NO WANT. =(

Tuna and dried fruit are awesome.

ichigocorcor

Since I brought my rice cooker, I didn't have enough space to bring my full-sized crock pot, so I brought my mini one and just cooked soup. Which kinda sucked, because everybody in my room except for ONE person liked clam chowder, and because he didn't like it I couldn't cook it because it would have made the room smell.

I can't eat curry D: But thanks for posting the recipe for those who can!
Cosplay Plans

G.I.R

Quote from: trooper715 on May 28, 2009, 01:09:12 PM

I forgot to add, I've even seen seasoned tuna and even salmon in pouches at 99 Cents Only stores.  If you do keep a cooler, I'd also recommend baby carrots, or carrot sticks.  You might even want to bring a small bottle of ranch dressing (a small amount on the tuna is good  ;D ).

deonchan

Quote from: trooper715 on May 28, 2009, 01:09:12 PM
I was like...hey, that curry recipe sounds kind of good.  Until the last part.

"YOUR HOUSE WILL SMELL LIKE CURRY FOR DAYS."

DO NO WANT. =(

The last line is the only reason why there was no curry @ Rovers base this year =( I had my crockpot ready to go to!

FWIW There's also a chicken and pumpkin curry recipe on there to.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Tony

Arg. We really don't need Pyron to be right again.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

deonchan

Quote from: Tony on May 28, 2009, 02:29:27 PM

Say huh?
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

ichigocorcor

Cosplay Plans

ewu

why are you all so lazy.....I manage to read every post.....

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12154.msg322037.html#msg322037
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ichigocorcor

Quote from: ewu on May 28, 2009, 02:39:21 PM

Oh, I actually did read that. That thread was where I got the idea to bring my rice cooker... AND my crock pot.

And I'm sharing a real experience, as opposed to just knocking it :)
Cosplay Plans

Liquid

*sigh* You beat me to posting this link.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

deonchan

Ahh gotcha

But ya know he was right on that one. The kids or "Adults" that decide to skimp on food, live on Ramen and Ramnue for 5 days are the same ones that cause more medical emergencies than just about anyone else (save out "Code Chunky" friends...) It's fairly easy to pool $$ for food esp if you're going in a group. My 3 roommates and I brought PBnJ, Whole Grain Breads, Cold Cuts, Fiber Banana Nut Muffins, Mixed nuts and about 5 cases of water. No one got sick and we were all happy. But like Pyron said if you can't afford decent food restaurant or pre purchased and may I add if you're too immature to choose things necessary for your health you should not be at con.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

rude32

Quote from: ichigocorcor on May 28, 2009, 02:41:31 PM

Oh, I actually did read that. That thread was where I got the idea to bring my rice cooker... AND my crock pot.

And I'm sharing a real experience, as opposed to just knocking it :)
so did you read the entire thread, or just the first few posts? If you would have read the entire thing then you would have realized that eating  only one type of meal for the entire con is a very bad idea, especially when that one thing is ramen.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Liquid

Quote from: deonchan on May 28, 2009, 02:51:13 PM

Ahh gotcha

But ya know he was right on that one. The kids or "Adults" that decide to skimp on food, live on Ramen and Ramnue for 5 days are the same ones that cause more medical emergencies than just about anyone else (save out "Code Chunky" friends...) It's fairly easy to pool $$ for food esp if you're going in a group. My 3 roommates and I brought PBnJ, Whole Grain Breads, Cold Cuts, Fiber Banana Nut Muffins, Mixed nuts and about 5 cases of water. No one got sick and we were all happy. But like Pyron said if you can't afford decent food restaurant or pre purchased and may I add if you're too immature to choose things necessary for your health you should not be at con.

We were hardly ever in the room to eat most of that stuff, but at least we tried... and we did go eat out. (La Vics 3 days in a row FTW!)
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Dagger-6

And lots of raisin danishes, because you piggies eat all the berry ones.  :'(