DO NOT WANT

Started by ichigocorcor, May 28, 2009, 12:55:35 PM

ichigocorcor

Quote from: rude32 on May 28, 2009, 02:54:00 PM
Quote from: ichigocorcor on May 28, 2009, 02:41:31 PM
Quote from: ewu on May 28, 2009, 02:39:21 PM
Quote from: Tony on May 28, 2009, 02:29:27 PM
Arg. We really don't need Pyron to be right again.

why are you all so lazy.....I manage to read every post.....

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12154.msg322037.html#msg322037

Oh, I actually did read that. That thread was where I got the idea to bring my rice cooker... AND my crock pot.

And I'm sharing a real experience, as opposed to just knocking it :)
so did you read the entire thread, or just the first few posts? If you would have read the entire thing then you would have realized that eating  only one type of meal for the entire con is a very bad idea, especially when that one thing is ramen.

I actually did eat more than just ramen, but I still got sick. My roommate ONLY ate ramen and he got really sick.
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

deonchan

Quote from: Liquid on May 28, 2009, 03:17:47 PM
Quote from: deonchan on May 28, 2009, 02:51:13 PM
Quote from: ewu on May 28, 2009, 02:39:21 PM

why are you all so lazy.....I manage to read every post.....

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12154.msg322037.html#msg322037

Ahh gotcha

But ya know he was right on that one. The kids or "Adults" that decide to skimp on food, live on Ramen and Ramnue for 5 days are the same ones that cause more medical emergencies than just about anyone else (save out "Code Chunky" friends...) It's fairly easy to pool $$ for food esp if you're going in a group. My 3 roommates and I brought PBnJ, Whole Grain Breads, Cold Cuts, Fiber Banana Nut Muffins, Mixed nuts and about 5 cases of water. No one got sick and we were all happy. But like Pyron said if you can't afford decent food restaurant or pre purchased and may I add if you're too immature to choose things necessary for your health you should not be at con.

We were hardly ever in the room to eat most of that stuff, but at least we tried... and we did go eat out. (La Vics 3 days in a row FTW!)

and La Vics > Raman (in nutrion) anyday. Plus Rovers had lots of fresh fruit that I ate this year.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Liquid

Quote from: trooper715 on May 28, 2009, 03:33:38 PM
And lots of raisin danishes, because you piggies eat all the berry ones.  :'(

I didn't eat one danish. I had a few crossants the first day or two and then promptly learned my lesson about that. I only had one thing of ramen from there. I had a couple cookies and maybe one granola bar. I mainly only took water from the Rover room. I didn't even know we had fruit. :-X
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

PyronIkari

Seriously, whenever that punk ass is right, only bad things happen.

MrFreeman

My ConFood Survial Guide:

• Bottled Water: Depending on how many people you have, it's a necessity. You need to remain hydrated, and you can carry it out of the hotel with you, and if you wish, refill it at a drinking fountain.

• Instant Energy Drink Mix: Shove this into one of your bottled waters, and you don't need to waste all that money on the equivalent of 20 Red Bulls. This is completely optional, but a necessity for me.
  • Bagels: One or two in the morning, and it's possibly the most filling thing there is for breakfast. A little peanut butter can be added for nutrition, and they can be healthier when toasted, but these can keep me going for the first few hours I'm awake just fine
  • Ramen: Unless you have your own bowl and silverware, Instant Lunch is about the only thing you've got. I'm not picky, and can use hot tap water out of the bathroom, now if that makes you shudder, keep in mind most hotel rooms have some sort of coffee thing, in which you can just heat that tap water. You're also not trying to impress anyone, so I suggest using plastic disposable forks over disposable wooden chopsticks, but use whichever you have cheapest access to.
  • Slim Fast: I don't recommend this for everyone. The store I went to was out of the other drink called "Ensure" which I normally use. These are very rich in nutrients and can tame your hunger for a while, but I recommend combining it with a sold, like a bagel, granola bar, or fruit snack. These are great to nab before you know you're not going to be able to get into your hotel room for a while. Or if you have a place to store it, take it with you for a quick chug while waiting in line for something.
  • Power Bar or other nutrition bar: They cost a little more, but believe me, these things can help you get all around whatever convention center you're going to, including San Diego. They're small enough to be carried with you in a sock or what have you if you don't have pockets, and they don't melt (the Power Bars don't anyway). Great for snacking in the con, but be warned, they can be a bit sticky, so eat carefully, and you may want some water after one.

The food pictured fed two people for three days at Fanime and cost less than $40, there's even some stuff left over. The notepad and pens were for exchanging contact info, which I always recommend people having when they meet someone cool.

jinnai_animexcalibur

Saw kids trying to survive on 2 liter sodas, king sized bag of Hersheys chocolate miniatures and sugar cubes for 4 days.

Wannabe L's  ;)
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

ichigocorcor

Quote from: jinnai_animexcalibur on May 28, 2009, 11:28:33 PM
Saw kids trying to survive on 2 liter sodas, king sized bag of Hersheys chocolate miniatures and sugar cubes for 4 days.

Wannabe L's  ;)

Sugar cubes? Really?

o.o;
Cosplay Plans

Runewitt

i brought a rice cooker, rice, granola bars, rockstar and generic walmart breakfast pastries for our room, and we ended up eating out pretty much every meal, and my fanime budget still came out less than $100 including a few trips into the dealers room.

next year i'm going to bring oatmeal packets for the rice cooker, and sandwich stuff. i didnt know if we were going to have a mini-fridge in our room, so i didnt want to pack in anything that needed to be kept cold. next year, i'll probably go back to staying at the ramada, where there is always a mini-fridge and if you get there early enough, you can request a room with a microwave, which makes supplying yourself with better noms options much easier, and cheaper.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

ichigocorcor

Quote from: Runewitt on May 28, 2009, 11:41:40 PM
i brought a rice cooker, rice, granola bars, rockstar and generic walmart breakfast pastries for our room, and we ended up eating out pretty much every meal, and my fanime budget still came out less than $100 including a few trips into the dealers room.

next year i'm going to bring oatmeal packets for the rice cooker, and sandwich stuff. i didnt know if we were going to have a mini-fridge in our room, so i didnt want to pack in anything that needed to be kept cold. next year, i'll probably go back to staying at the ramada, where there is always a mini-fridge and if you get there early enough, you can request a room with a microwave, which makes supplying yourself with better noms options much easier, and cheaper.

I would have given ANYTHING for a microwave. But the Ramada is so far away from the CC o.o
Cosplay Plans

PyronIkari

I brought... money... and a friend to go buy me and Jun food whenever we needed it.

Everyone needs a Ben... and a Stu.

Runewitt

Quote from: ichigocorcor on May 29, 2009, 12:00:33 AM
I would have given ANYTHING for a microwave. But the Ramada is so far away from the CC o.o
actualy, walking from the side exit to the ramada is less than five minutes. i stayed there twice for the con.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Nyxyin

In addition to sandwiches, cereal, and fruit in your room, my suggestion would be to make your own trail mix with unsalted nuts and dried fruit (without added sugar or sulfur).  Trail mix doesn't need refrigeration, it contains lots of nutrition for the amount of space, it can tolerate getting swashed, and a little goes a long way.  That way, you can carry a ziplock bag of the trail mix with you and have a quick snack any time you need it without having to go all the way back to the room.  I also recommend bags of baby carrots.  They're still edible without refrigeration.

mDuo13

I ate a lot of cup ramen during the con, but there were other things mixed into my diet including fruit snacks, bread & nutella, oatmeal, and one "proper" meal outside the con per day. It was a pretty reasonable compromise for money, IMO. Having rice would have been a nice addition, but of course not sufficient on its own.

Protip: If you go to Original Joe's, ordering a 3/4 size of one of their pasta dishes is a good way to save money. Yes, the restaurant is still expensive, but you'd have to have an immense appetite not to fill up on a 3/4 portion of OJ's pasta, and it is pretty high-quality food.

ichigocorcor

Quote from: mDuo13 on May 29, 2009, 11:37:05 AM
I ate a lot of cup ramen during the con, but there were other things mixed into my diet including fruit snacks, <b>bread & nutella</b>, oatmeal, and one "proper" meal outside the con per day.

Best snack evar.
Cosplay Plans

Raydere

Pizza My Heart on San Carlos and 3rd/4th offers some pretty filling stuff for $3-4.

Then there's La Vic's across the street, if you want to grab a taco for about $3.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

rude32

Quote from: G.S. LXVIII on May 29, 2009, 10:27:42 PM
Pizza My Heart on San Carlos and 3rd/4th offers some pretty filling stuff for $3-4.

Then there's La Vic's across the street, if you want to grab a taco for about $3.
Werd. Pizza my heart and la vics is awesome.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Fructose

My group and I came prepared, and as a result, none of us went hungry or malnourished all weekend. We brought one cooler (which we filled at the hotel from the ice machines) and used the hotel-provided coffee maker to heat water. We had various sandwich fixings (including both normal sliced bread and actual loaves of bread, and a simple slice of bread with jam or butter is a beautiful snack) for both meat sandwiches and pb&j, milk and cereal (the cheap-o offbrand bags, which taste just as good), granola bars, fruit bars, baby carrots, oranges, pears, string cheese, and pudding. We also had a case of bottled water, and those flavor packets to make it lemonade, as well as 3 different types of hot tea. We also brought like 4 Cup Noodles, and they went uneaten because there was so much more satisfying food available!

All that for 15 bucks a person, and we were all fed all weekend, including a few moochers. (We went to Jack in the Box once for shakes. XD)

BSaphire

Camping Equipment for Con :P

George Forman grill
Rice Cooker
Microwave
Mini Fridge
Ice chest
Hot water boiler

some or all of the above equipment can improve the possibilities of your eating habits during con..

There is also something to be said for high carbs, veggies, fruits, and protein.

pack at your own risk, but I would take the ice chest over the sewing machine any day :P

Squidge
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Barnes

Quote from: BSaphire on June 03, 2009, 11:54:15 AM
Camping Equipment for Con :P

George Forman grill
Rice Cooker
Microwave
Mini Fridge
Ice chest
Hot water boiler

some or all of the above equipment can improve the possibilities of your eating habits during con..

There is also something to be said for high carbs, veggies, fruits, and protein.

pack at your own risk, but I would take the ice chest over the sewing machine any day :P

Squidge
B

Hotels allow you to plug those in? 0_o Me confused....
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

PyronIkari

Hotels have outlets... ... ...

Outlets allow you to plug things in. As long as you don't do anything like set off the smoke detectors or anything crazy, then why wouldn't they?