DO NOT WANT

Started by ichigocorcor, May 28, 2009, 12:55:35 PM

Dagger-6

Just don't overload outlets.  Use a surge protector to be on the safe side.

G.I.R

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 03, 2009, 07:52:02 PM
Hotels have outlets... ... ...

Outlets allow you to plug things in. As long as you don't do anything like set off the smoke detectors or anything crazy, then why wouldn't they?
... or trip a breaker.  Mini fridge, Microwave equal lots of current.

Barnes

Quote from: G.I.R on June 04, 2009, 09:09:03 AM

Outlets allow you to plug things in. As long as you don't do anything like set off the smoke detectors or anything crazy, then why wouldn't they?

That reminds me of what Tony once told me years ago. Something about cooking appliances taking alot of power, and the staff would somehow notice. That's why I was confused.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

G.I.R

Quote from: Barnes on June 04, 2009, 12:20:09 PM
Quote from: G.I.R on June 04, 2009, 09:09:03 AM

That reminds me of what Tony once told me years ago. Something about cooking appliances taking alot of power, and the staff would somehow notice. That's why I was confused.
Yeah, and more than likely, if you trip a breaker, it also affects the room next to you as well (common circuits in the dividing walls.

Dagger-6

I don't think the hotel staff is doing anything crazy like monitoring the amount of power each room is drawing...but yeah, they'll definitely notice when several rooms complain about the power being out.

If you're going to use a lot of appliances, I would say have a surge protectors on hand for both the Microwave and the Minifridge, since as GIR pointed out they are the biggest power hogs.  And make sure they aren't plugged in to the same outlet or anything crazy like that.

Or instead of a fridge, use an ice-chest.  One less crazy appliance to worry about.

G.I.R

Quote from: trooper715 on June 04, 2009, 01:13:31 PM
Or instead of a fridge, use an ice-chest.  One less crazy appliance to worry about.
QFT.  In fact don't plug them in on the same wall.  That makes it more likely you get them on different circuits.  But the ice-chest is probably the better choice still.

Tony

I was just thinking about this, at the convention, actually... I take back what I said.

I saw the hair dryer - that the hotel provided - was rated at over 1,000 W. That's enough power for a small appliance.

I noticed, too, that certain outlets were labeled with how much they could handle. (The Hilton had plugs in the lamps, for example, but they were low-power.) The outlets in the bathroom appeared to be standard 15A GFCI-type - the ones with the little "test" and "reset" buttons. It's an important difference, because these are not only safer, but may trip before the greater circuit does.

So, in theory, assuming no other restrictions, you could probably plug in a single item and use it for heating stuff up. You wouldn't want to put multiple things on there; a microwave alone will hog most of the power, so running that and just about any other heating/cooking/cooling appliance will probably blow the circuit and you'll have an unhappy hotel.

The hotels might highly discourage outside appliances anyway, because heat can lead to fire. It doesn't hurt to ask the hotel if they allow it, but personally I wouldn't do it. (I'd hate to be spending time cooking at the con, anyway!)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

G.I.R

Hmm?  Can you cook a Grilled cheese sandwich with an iron like some of the hotels provide?  JK.

15 Amps are pretty much what your standard  3 pronged grounded outlet is rated at.  GFI's are there just in case there is a short to ground.  (like droping something plugged in into the sink).

deonchan

This is giving me a great idea for a thread and or you tube series or something...

I'm sure you've all seen Depression Cooking and maybe even Cooking with the Batchelor

I'm thinking

The CCC

Convention Cooking Channel!

SAFE Easy recipes and techniques to use while you @ your favorite (insert type) con!

I'm serious. Anyone in with me?
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

deonchan

Quote from: trooper715 on May 28, 2009, 01:09:12 PM
I was like...hey, that curry recipe sounds kind of good.  Until the last part.

"YOUR HOUSE WILL SMELL LIKE CURRY FOR DAYS."

DO NO WANT. =(

Tuna and dried fruit are awesome.

BTW the misses made this receipe for me this past monday

House was fully aired out last night >.<
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Liquid

Quote from: deonchan on June 04, 2009, 02:18:50 PM

Easy recipes and techniques to use while you @ your favorite (insert type) con!

I'm serious. Anyone in with me!

*Calvin gets done making a grilled cheese sandwich with the hotel iron*

Calvin: "And that's how you trick poor kids into burning down their hotel! Any questions?"
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

deonchan

Quote from: Liquid on June 04, 2009, 04:27:44 PM

Easy recipes and techniques to use while you @ your favorite (insert type) con!

I'm serious. Anyone in with me!

*Calvin gets done making a grilled cheese sandwich with the hotel iron*

Calvin: "And that's how you trick poor kids into burning down their hotel! Any questions?"

Geee thanks ya jerk!  :P
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

otakuya

I smell a panel in the future

or maybe something's burning

PyronIkari

Quote from: Tony on June 04, 2009, 01:20:31 PM
I was just thinking about this, at the convention, actually... I take back what I said.

I saw the hair dryer - that the hotel provided - was rated at over 1,000 W. That's enough power for a small appliance.

I noticed, too, that certain outlets were labeled with how much they could handle. (The Hilton had plugs in the lamps, for example, but they were low-power.) The outlets in the bathroom appeared to be standard 15A GFCI-type - the ones with the little "test" and "reset" buttons. It's an important difference, because these are not only safer, but may trip before the greater circuit does.

So, in theory, assuming no other restrictions, you could probably plug in a single item and use it for heating stuff up. You wouldn't want to put multiple things on there; a microwave alone will hog most of the power, so running that and just about any other heating/cooking/cooling appliance will probably blow the circuit and you'll have an unhappy hotel.

The hotels might highly discourage outside appliances anyway, because heat can lead to fire. It doesn't hurt to ask the hotel if they allow it, but personally I wouldn't do it. (I'd hate to be spending time cooking at the con, anyway!)

B'ah to all of that. One year we had a surge protector with 8 laptops, 2 game systems, another TV, on one side of the room, and a george foreman grill, a hot plate, and another 2 laptops on the otherside of the room. Nothing bad happened at all.

G.I.R

This is giving me a great idea for a thread and or you tube series or something...

I'm sure you've all seen Depression Cooking and maybe even Cooking with the Batchelor

I'm thinking

The CCC

SAFE Easy recipes and techniques to use while you @ your favorite (insert type) con!

Isn't that what this topic is about (altho I don't get the title...)

deonchan

Quote from: G.I.R on June 05, 2009, 01:02:26 AM

I'm thinking

The CCC

Isn't that what this topic is about (altho I don't get the title...)

Kinda sorta (also seems like a how not to blow up a hotel room thread)

BTW Eps 1 of the CCC on YouTube Coming soon
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

ayame_nguyen

Quote from: ichigocorcor on May 28, 2009, 12:55:35 PM

if you're going to bring your own food, DO NOT BRING RAMEN ONLY. My friend and I ended up getting very, very sick from eating ramen all weekend.!
i don't think bringing ramen only is a bad idea. well it depends on the person i guess. i love ramen so i can eat it all weekend perfectly fine without getting sick or anything.

Vensy

Yeah our room had a fridge.. so we stopped by a grocery store at one point.. got some ham, bread, juice, and most importantly (for me) yogurt!  I'm very happy and satisfied through the entire day if I start it off with a yummy yogurt.. :3
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

apsykes

What a (left unnamed) Furry that Fursuits at Further Confusion did for food (That only was able to afford a Room, Registration, and a Flight To San Jose CA):
Ate Granola Bars from the Fursuit lounge (fursuit relaxing spot away from photographers)
Cheap and easy alternative XD
except she got hers for free XD
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

deonchan

Brining the crocpot this year w/ supplies on the ready.
Hot Curry FTW
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div