How about a little elevator etiquette?

Started by ShiftyGirl, May 29, 2009, 08:03:10 PM

Raymei

I've been to (not a LOT, but several) cons and crowded elevators seem to always be a problem.

The only thing I've experienced at Fanime as opposed to other cons was lack of elevator etiquette.  Not only people not waiting in line (jumping ahead of people or "going to sit down on the bench" only to enter the elevator ahead of their friends and the people ahead of THEM) and not waiting for people to get off the elevator, but at one time I went upstairs to my floor and the entire HALLWAY in front of the elevator was filled with people from the con sitting and talking.
As I'm trying to step around them (not easy; you couldn't even sit with a PATH made?) they joked that they were the "welcoming party".

Dude, that's not only really annoying and inconsiderate, but it also CAN'T be safe. 

Gotta say though, it seemed like especially this year people weren't thinking of common courtesy in general.  (some jerk on a megaphone blasted some poor guy dressed as a Naruto character [I apologize, I'm not at ALL familiar with that one lol] by calling through it: "Wow, Goku, you got FAT!" -- Dude, not funny, just mean.)

But especially when there are people staying at the hotels totally unrelated to Fanime, I think as a community we need to step up our game on common sense and plain-old-politeness.  To be honest, I was a little hesitant to wear my badge outside of the center because I was worried people would expect the same behavior out of me. :(

G.I.R

Quote from: BSaphire on June 09, 2009, 12:24:07 PM
People will do as they want, but since this was about etiquette I thought it might be nice to point out that there are handicapped and disabled people that attend Fanime and other conventions. Since the majority of the handicapped rooms are on lower floors I thought I would throw it out there. I personally do request lower floors for my issues and I do agree that it is the responsibility of the disabled/handicapped person to request such a need. 

I felt for the guy I say with the hip/spine? disability whom was walking up the stairs during con. I see lots of elevator antics during different hours of the convention and wanted to point out that not everything is a prop (wheelchairs, canes, etc..) and many times those with disabilities are over looked by the other attendees.

Shouldn't elevator etiquette include behavior that can effect them also?
The last sentence sums it up.  Just like not blocking doorways / walkways, and goofing around on the stairs and escalators.

And to the person(s) on the elevator that yelled "Use the stairs!"  Don't assume that because someone is standing in line for the elevator or just walked towards the elevators that they can easily walk up the stairs.  You may not know if they have something to go up with them, or like me have trouble with stairs.  It's okay to recommend to others where the stairs are, but don't act like you own the elevator.

And on the issue of safety, screwing around in a small enclosure like an elevator is stupid. 
I've also seen to many people that play around on escalators the don't realize how dangerous they can be.  Don't sit on them.  It's really easy to get your shoes or clothing caught in the comb plates at the ends.  Don't ride on the hand-rails.  You can stop, or damage the escalator, and injure yourself or other riders.

Liquid

Quote from: Raymei on June 09, 2009, 05:48:52 PM
(some jerk on a megaphone blasted some poor guy dressed as a Naruto character [I apologize, I'm not at ALL familiar with that one lol] by calling through it: "Wow, Goku, you got FAT!" -- Dude, not funny, just mean.)

If that the is the person I think it is....that guy has been taken care of.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

deonchan

Quote from: Raymei on June 09, 2009, 05:48:52 PM
I've been to (not a LOT, but several) cons and crowded elevators seem to always be a problem.

The only thing I've experienced at Fanime as opposed to other cons was lack of elevator etiquette.  Not only people not waiting in line (jumping ahead of people or "going to sit down on the bench" only to enter the elevator ahead of their friends and the people ahead of THEM) and not waiting for people to get off the elevator, but at one time I went upstairs to my floor and the entire HALLWAY in front of the elevator was filled with people from the con sitting and talking.
As I'm trying to step around them (not easy; you couldn't even sit with a PATH made?) they joked that they were the "welcoming party".

Dude, that's not only really annoying and inconsiderate, but it also CAN'T be safe. 

Gotta say though, it seemed like especially this year people weren't thinking of common courtesy in general.  (some jerk on a megaphone blasted some poor guy dressed as a Naruto character [I apologize, I'm not at ALL familiar with that one lol] by calling through it: "Wow, Goku, you got FAT!" -- Dude, not funny, just mean.)

But especially when there are people staying at the hotels totally unrelated to Fanime, I think as a community we need to step up our game on common sense and plain-old-politeness.  To be honest, I was a little hesitant to wear my badge outside of the center because I was worried people would expect the same behavior out of me. :(

I can only recall two males with megaphone/bullhorns.

1) Prob dosen't know who Goku is and has is own agenda
2) The Rovers and upper management are aware of the 2nd person and that issue has been addressed.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Raymei

Quote from: Knightfire on June 11, 2009, 03:48:04 PM
That actually happened?

the Megaphone insult?  Yeah.  He was out front on Monday while my brothers and I waited for our ride.
I saw the other guy on the megaphone, he didn't cause any problems that I saw and was actually using it to compliment some cosplayers.  The guy that I saw Monday was just talking into the mic with his friends (yeah, we all want to hear just YOUR part of the conversation because everything you say must be so interesting) and would occasionally use it to heckle con-goers.
It was just mean.  I'm glad he's been dealt with.

KyraEnsui

I always request for the lower level since I'm rooming with several cosplayers and we all have lots of luggages that are heavy. Plus, some of us will be tired from walking, dancing or other events going on.

I actually had problems going up the stairs when I walked up because my legs started to cramp up and I almost slipped down in my boots if I hadn't hold onto the rail. Luckily, my friend was with me.

I haven't had problems yet when I was at the Hilton and actually, I strike up some conversations in the elevator.

Yuki Valentine

When I was in the Marriott elevator, I was smashed up against the wall by some guy, and he put his hand on the wall over my head, putting my face about an inch from his sweaty armpit.  I'm pretty short, and so it was not fun.  I almost passed out from holding my breath from the smell. =p

Just a note to everyone in elevator:  DO NOT PUT YOUR ARMS UP! O.O

See you next Fanime! ^_^
Please check out my 8tracks account and add me!
http://8tracks.com/yuki_valentine

My YouTube account- http://www.youtube.com/user/xYukiValentine

PLEASE PLAY AND DONATE!!!

freerice.com and freepoverty.com

michiko nakano

hmmm... i know all the fanime staff is probably busy 24/7 during the con, but if they have a staff member to spare, they could maybe be an elevator bouncer or something during the busiest 1-2 hours of the day... just to reduce some of the shenanigans like PUSHING ALL THE BUTTONS and being inconsiderate and rude to people who really need the elevators for reasons like injuries and fatigue and props and big shoes and stuff. 

I was on the 17th floor of the Marriot, but by the second day of the con I realized that there were other people who needed the elevators more than I did so I took to running up and down the stairs.  Yes, it took forever.  I just told myself it was good crosstraining (I'm a dancer) and that I was making more space in the elevators.  I hope that helped someone somewhere in the elevator system of the Marriot in some small way!  I have a lot of respect for people with health problems and am a firm believer that they deserve the elevators and repect from everyone.

ewu

good idea, but also bear in mind that during those times that the elevators are most busy are the same time that the con is most busy and are short on staff.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

michiko nakano

true... maybe if i'm not busy I will be a bellhop! 

Xeluu

Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread necro.... Just a thought, and I have no idea if it's plausible or not....

Maybe set up an actual line for the elevators in Marriott/Hilton? They've got the little rope-dealies that are used in banks and disneyland, and also at the check-in counter. If they have a few extra perhaps they could actually set up an elevator line in the hallways.

There were multiple times where my sister and I were waiting for an elevator only to have one of us not get a space since everyone would bum-rush the second the doors opened.

Also: on Monday please please PLEASE try and accommodate people who are attempting to get on the elevator if it's just them and one item. There were multiple elevators that I saw go by that could have fit one more only to have people scream at me to take the stairs or that it was full. I know it's busy and a stressful time, but there's no reason to be rude.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

caskaslyrk

wow this thread is bringing back bad memories!!  The fairmont had the most crowd free elevators out of any of the cons I went to...THE WORST ELEVATOR is the Marriott BY FAR!!  Worst experience...was being in the elevator getting glomped by this masked ninja who SOOOOO had not taken a shower the whole con...and this was on a Sunday!  Then his equally sweaty friend...who looked like he had a backyard made cosplay tried to glomp me as well...thank God my ducking skills are on point!! LOL  I can still smell the sweat on my shoulder!!   :'(  proper etiquette would definately be to please wear deoderant & shower on a regular basis...DO NOT remove any footing wear while in a confined elevator/ space!!  Please cover your mouth when sneezing and coughing...AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL FANIME!!! ASK if the person minds getting glomped BEFORE you do the glomping!!  Also if it looks like there is not enough room for you in the elevator..please do not TRY to make room!!  And #1 no-no do not get off the elevator and press all the floor buttons...it really sucks to be the person on the top floor having to stop at every level!! ::)

MonkeyRikku

Someone actually started pushing all the buttons in my elevator once so I hit the stop button and started yelling at him. I'm pretty sure I asked if his mother was proud of him being a little...well, you get the idea. I think I made him cry, but if that's what it takes to make those brats stop I'll gladly do it again.

Also, as to Elevator locations and speeds, the Fairmont has the nice one, the Hilton smells like feet, and the Saint Claire is probably the slowest.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

pmorrison2588

What annoys me extremely is when the elevator is set to close the door, someone gets in , and I get delayed.

Moonblossom

Delayed by a whole ten seconds? Oh lordy, how inconvenient for you.  ::)

Imagine you're the person on the other side of that elevator door - you don't get into the elevator at the last second, and you get delayed by a LOT longer than that.

I always hold the elevator door if I see someone dashing towards it, as long as the elevator isn't already full to capacity.

michiko nakano

yes.  i like this person.  she is considerate.  to sum up some of the more positive ideas on this thread, we should:
1) try to get the hotel to put up rope dealies
2) before the door closes, look and see if anyone is running desperately to get in, and let them in
3) be courteous of EVERYONE, because you never know if they have a handicap or have a real emergency
4) use (at least) a death glare against anyone who tries to push all the buttons
5) if you are mature, responsible person (thank god for them at cons like this) perhaps act as a bellhop during your ride and push buttons for people, asking which floor they need and such
6) always try to squeeze people in.  if they can't stand being in close quarters, that's their problem.  

i'll come back and add more later, gotta run~~

Edit: as for number six, I definitely didn't think that one through, my apologies.  What I meant though, was that people shouldn't just automatically yell "we're full go away" if in actuality there is room for another person.  This happened a couple times to me. 

Yes, by all means, costumes are one of the most important things at fanime, respect other people's costumes.  I apologize for overlooking that.

Moonblossom

I'm mildly disabled myself (as I've whined about elsewhere on the forums). Not to the point of needing a walking aid at all times, but often times I do walk with a cane. I try to put myself in the other person's position, and rather than think "argh they're making me late why don't they just take the stairs?!" I think "Maybe they're like me and in a lot of pain, maybe they can't take the stairs."

If I'm a few seconds later getting downstairs, so what? If I have anywhere urgent to be at a con, I make sure to leave my room with plenty of leeway time.

michiko, your suggestions are all good ones. I also try to push the buttons for other people if the elevator is crowded and they can't reach easily. It's no extra effort on my part, and saves a lot of squooshing and shuffling around.

The only one I'd be careful about is squeezing lots of people in - the limits in elevators are for safety as well as comfort, they can only handle so much weight before they start having difficulty.

Charis

Since this thread's already been revived, one thing worth noting on the "cramming folks into elevators" front: please, please be understanding of folks who cannot squish.  Both I and others in my cosplay group wear costumes that have fragile elements and would potentially be damaged by such things.  At another con there was someone running around covered in fake blood, and I shudder at the notion of someone like that cramming into an elevator next to my giant white hooped dress.  It's the same sort of etiquette as running around a con: be considerate, but don't invade people's personal space.  If you need to fit more people in, ask.  I think that's a common-sense thing that's overlooked more often than not.

(Wow, I sound rather cranky.  I admit the elevators have been an issue for me at enough cons that I probably am.)

A very good point made on the disability issue, Moonblossom -- my sister is arthritic to the point of fairly severe pain, and though she doesn't use any sort of walking aid, for her to have to take the stairs would probably destroy her weekend in terms of the aftereffects.  It'd be nice if people remembered not to judge based on appearance alone.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Xeluu

One other thing:

I can't recall if this works at any of the hotel elevators at/around the convention center, however, if someone presses all the buttons, try pressing the Call Cancel button. I know of a few different elevators where this cancels the floor selection.

Can't recall if the Marriott has that or not. Regardless, I once got in a Marriott elevator where someone had pressed all the buttons. At about the 6th floor it cleared all the selections itself. This was a few years ago though, so I'm not sure if it's still true.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas