How about a little elevator etiquette?

Started by ShiftyGirl, May 29, 2009, 08:03:10 PM

ShiftyGirl

This was my first con and it was ABSOLUTELY amazing! The only thing I had a little trouble with was getting bum rushed in the elevators. People need to wait for others to exit the elevators first and also let people get on who have been waiting. I can't tell you how many times I had to push through people or get loud when I was trying to get off and people came pouring through the doors as soon as they opened. Just a little manners and patience please!!!

Thoughts?

Kertus

Yeah I know what you mean, that's the way I've always seen it at the cons though.  Idk what could be done that would HONESTLY change it.  :-\
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

ichigocorcor

The elevators at the Marriot were ridiculous. My friends and I had to hike up five flights of stairs every time we wanted to get to their rooms because the elevators were always packed and always busy. I definitely know how you feel.
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

Jiraya

well at least the elevators were kinda fast, I mean I can only hold my breath for so long, I swear some people have never been shown what soap is or how to use it. I think the only thing that came close to the funky bunch were the people who thought they didn't need a shower because they had body spray or perfume, come one now you smell like a funky bunch of flowers, I understand the rooms have showers soap and towels, maybe next year we get a forum on how to use those items found in the hotel rooms.

spare the air. ;D and mind others waiting for the elevator.

rude32

Apparently people don't know about manners.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

asscrack

Here's a hotel tip:

When booking, always request for a low floor to avoid the elevators. IE: Floors 4, 5, or 6. *I* always make this request if it's possible. It's faster to take the stairs and avoid the smelly people when you're in a hurry.
Does my ass look fat?

Knightfire

If the elevator is packed I just wait for the next one to come up or go down. I found to be really irritating when people just come right on in to an already overcrowded elevator with all their stuff, making it more cramped. I really wished people had the patience to wait. Also, Hilton Side here, by the way. Anyone also had problems with the middle elevator? Hilton staff had to stop running it for a while on Saturday due to malfunctions.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Meirin

Isn't this kind of thing inevitable during peak times of operation? Elevators being crowded and what have you. But I do agree that people need more manners, but that's just people in general, not limiting to FanimeCon-goers. wwwww
Fanimaid Veteran circa 2009

codex biblio

Quote from: Knightfire on May 31, 2009, 11:35:08 AM
Anyone also had problems with the middle elevator? Hilton staff had to stop running it for a while on Saturday due to malfunctions.

I don't know if it was similar to what happened on Monday morning, but I was in another elevator with a Hilton building engineer going down and we asked him about the stuck elevator. He said it was stuck because people had been jumping in it.

I was in a Hilton elevator on Saturday when the crowd decided to jump also. I asked them the stop and got off at my floor, but I don't know if they kept jumping after that. Not sure why they would do something like that. There's enough fun things to do at con besides getting stuck in a broken elevator. 

Unfortunately, con-goer behavior seemed to be a big issue (this was my first Fanime and it was the one negative thing I noticed). There seems a "pack" mentality for doing silly/stupid things sometimes. A few idiots suggest something and more idiots just seem to go along with it. Not sure how that can be regulated unless all the other con-goers speak-up when it happens and asks them to stop.  I don't think it's malicious. I do think it's thoughtless and stupid.

Charis

On the subject of elevator etiquette, in addition to what others have said:

1) Don't yell at people waiting for the elevator to "take the stairs instead".  Seriously.  Someone did this to us one day at the Marriot (fifth floor), and when I'm standing there with a prop almost as big as I am that'd be a hazard to take down the stairwell, that's just juvenile.

2) Button-pushing.  Please, for the love of whatever you hold sacred, DO NOT PUSH ALL THE BUTTONS.  It's not funny.  It never was funny.  It's part of these blasted elevator delays, and it only pisses people off.

3) Because it can't be stressed enough: common courtesy.  If people have been waiting, let them go first.  If people come through that obviously need the elevators (e.g. wheelchairs), try to accomodate.  It's not that hard, really.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Knightfire

Quote from: codex biblio on May 31, 2009, 09:08:54 PM
Quote from: Knightfire on May 31, 2009, 11:35:08 AM
Anyone also had problems with the middle elevator? Hilton staff had to stop running it for a while on Saturday due to malfunctions.

I don't know if it was similar to what happened on Monday morning, but I was in another elevator with a Hilton building engineer going down and we asked him about the stuck elevator. He said it was stuck because people had been jumping in it.

I was in a Hilton elevator on Saturday when the crowd decided to jump also. I asked them the stop and got off at my floor, but I don't know if they kept jumping after that. Not sure why they would do something like that. There's enough fun things to do at con besides getting stuck in a broken elevator. 

Unfortunately, con-goer behavior seemed to be a big issue (this was my first Fanime and it was the one negative thing I noticed). There seems a "pack" mentality for doing silly/stupid things sometimes. A few idiots suggest something and more idiots just seem to go along with it. Not sure how that can be regulated unless all the other con-goers speak-up when it happens and asks them to stop.  I don't think it's malicious. I do think it's thoughtless and stupid.

That's exactly why they stopped the middle elevator on Saturday Evening. This isn't the first time this has happened either.

Dracil

One of these conventions, people will die/get injured/get stuck while jumping in the elevator and then maybe people will learn.

"1) Don't yell at people waiting for the elevator to "take the stairs instead".  Seriously.  Someone did this to us one day at the Marriot (fifth floor), and when I'm standing there with a prop almost as big as I am that'd be a hazard to take down the stairwell, that's just juvenile."

While I didn't see anybody yell, I did hear people mumble about it.  Personally, I don't see the point if someone is fully capable of walking, to wait for an elevator that's just gonna be packed to the point such that you can't even get in, so you have to wait for the next elevator that will just be the same thing, just 'cause you don't wanna walk down a few flights of stairs.  It's your own time that you're wasting.

Kender

Quote from: Dracil on June 02, 2009, 05:47:43 PM
One of these conventions, people will die/get injured/get stuck while jumping in the elevator and then maybe people will learn.

"1) Don't yell at people waiting for the elevator to "take the stairs instead".  Seriously.  Someone did this to us one day at the Marriot (fifth floor), and when I'm standing there with a prop almost as big as I am that'd be a hazard to take down the stairwell, that's just juvenile."

While I didn't see anybody yell, I did hear people mumble about it.  Personally, I don't see the point if someone is fully capable of walking, to wait for an elevator that's just gonna be packed to the point such that you can't even get in, so you have to wait for the next elevator that will just be the same thing, just 'cause you don't wanna walk down a few flights of stairs.  It's your own time that you're wasting.

I heard quite a few people yell this and I told them off (with logic) for it.  One of the times I was in obvious pain and very ill.  Taking the stairs would have completely done me in.  And another time I was in the elevator when people were yelling it at people on the fifth floor.  I got them to look guilty and actually apologize.

If people are willing to wait for the elevator, that's their choice.  The point most people seem to forget, however, is that we all pay for the same right to use the elevator.  I'll gladly take the stairs if someone wants to pay for a chunk of my hotel room bill to make up for the inconvenience of not having the use of the elevator, though ;).  And be willing to carry me up and down them safely if I find myself doubled over in pain again.

People should not be making their own judgments about who can and cannot use the elevator.  It's rude and honestly, it just makes that person look like a complete jerk.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."

Knightfire

I do agree with you how we shouldn't yell at others to not get on the elevator, it does go both ways however. People wanting to get on an elevator should be courteous and should not get on when the elevator is already crowded, or at least ask if it's possible to fit one more. Sadly, this rarely happened.

BSaphire

I just want to remind people out there that the use of elevators is a must for some of us. I personally have to use the elevator to go up. No exceptions. If you see me (after going up three flights of stairs) please call an ambulance, because I will be that body slumped over in the stairwell not answering you all because I had to go up to my room and took the stairs instead of the elevator after waiting five minutes.. I fear that no one will find me if I do pass out or have an issue when I am in the stairwell, but getting to my room to lay down seems to take longer and longer.

If you don't need a lower floor for health reasons... please don't take up the room... It is a lot easier for most of you to go up six flights of stairs... I know of three people who attend conventions as staff/industry/guest on a somewhat regular basis whom need a lower floor room because of elevator/stair issues and their physical limitations.... BTW... I really REALLY thought it sucked that NONE of the escalators were working in the con center or the Fairmont when I went to the B & W Ball.

BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Kender

Quote from: Knightfire on June 03, 2009, 12:38:51 AM
I do agree with you how we shouldn't yell at others to not get on the elevator, it does go both ways however. People wanting to get on an elevator should be courteous and should not get on when the elevator is already crowded, or at least ask if it's possible to fit one more. Sadly, this rarely happened.

Oh I perfectly agree.  I unfortunately witnessed this happening as well and was appalled by it.  I noticed these people were also the ones who seemed to also have no issue cutting in front of others who had been waiting long before they had.

All of these are little minor annoyances compared to the bigger issue: people just plain being inconsiderate of others.  I was incredibly disheartened by how I saw people behaving in regards to the elevators and each other.

Quote from: BSaphire on June 03, 2009, 11:42:58 AM
If you don't need a lower floor for health reasons... please don't take up the room... It is a lot easier for most of you to go up six flights of stairs... I know of three people who attend conventions as staff/industry/guest on a somewhat regular basis whom need a lower floor room because of elevator/stair issues and their physical limitations.... BTW... I really REALLY thought it sucked that NONE of the escalators were working in the con center or the Fairmont when I went to the B & W Ball.

I don't think anyone should judge who should and should not be allowed to have a lower floor, either.  At what point do you say "that's not a valid reason"?  Who's the judge of that?

Not trying to be a brat, but if someone has specific needs--such as needing a lower floor due to medical need--then they should be alerting the hotel before they arrive so that their requests can hopefully be accommodated.  It's the person with the special need's responsibility.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old.  We grow old because we stop playing."

Lucifargundam

nothing can be done about etiquette. too many people. you just have to bite your lip and take it or take the stairs.

Of coarse you can always  mow them down with a giant pocky stick.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

jAded

I took the stairs when I could, with my 50+lb of art supplies/prints every day. When I couldn't, I cleaned up a bit early, and used the elevators before their was a rush.

Yes, people need to learn elevator etiquette. We can't really school people who refuse to be respectful in that sense. We all pay the same amount for the hotel and the use of its services. It's not really fair to say, hey, you're on the ___th floor, take the stairs, etc. As for what floor of the hotel you are on, unless you request for a lower floor due to health issues (once again, personal responsibility), they're going to place you as they see fit. I arrived the afternoon before this year (around 4pm) and got a lower floor. I arrived at midnight last year, and got a higher floor. Not a big deal.

AnimeEmperor

People are rushed and excited and forget their basic manners. It didn't happen to me, but I can understand how it can easily happen. But that doesn't excuse it.

BSaphire

Quote from: Kender on June 03, 2009, 08:53:19 PM
Quote from: Knightfire on June 03, 2009, 12:38:51 AM

Oh I perfectly agree.  I unfortunately witnessed this happening as well and was appalled by it.  I noticed these people were also the ones who seemed to also have no issue cutting in front of others who had been waiting long before they had.

All of these are little minor annoyances compared to the bigger issue: people just plain being inconsiderate of others.  I was incredibly disheartened by how I saw people behaving in regards to the elevators and each other.

Quote from: BSaphire on June 03, 2009, 11:42:58 AM

I don't think anyone should judge who should and should not be allowed to have a lower floor, either.  At what point do you say "that's not a valid reason"?  Who's the judge of that?

Not trying to be a brat, but if someone has specific needs--such as needing a lower floor due to medical need--then they should be alerting the hotel before they arrive so that their requests can hopefully be accommodated.  It's the person with the special need's responsibility.

I honestly wasn't "judging" I was more asking "If you don't need a lower floor for health reasons... please don't take up the room..." thus why I said Please.

People will do as they want, but since this was about etiquette I thought it might be nice to point out that there are handicapped and disabled people that attend Fanime and other conventions. Since the majority of the handicapped rooms are on lower floors I thought I would throw it out there. I personally do request lower floors for my issues and I do agree that it is the responsibility of the disabled/handicapped person to request such a need. 

I felt for the guy I say with the hip/spine? disability whom was walking up the stairs during con. I see lots of elevator antics during different hours of the convention and wanted to point out that not everything is a prop (wheelchairs, canes, etc..) and many times those with disabilities are over looked by the other attendees.

Shouldn't elevator etiquette include behavior that can effect them also?
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC