Fanime Tips *Hosted by Stage Zero 2010

Started by The Dude, June 02, 2009, 11:16:55 PM

The Dude

Wendell And I "Sean" are interested in hearing what you think would be good tips for Fanime con.
I.E: Wash, Eat, Etc.

After we get a good selection we choose some that we like have them transelated into Japanese and then taped for use during next years con at Stage Zero. So let's get those minds turning.
Stage Zero, Manager & Director
Fanime Music Vid Director
Any Questions or Comments send to [email protected]

Runewitt

1. if you are staying at the con the whole weekend, hav a hotel room to sleep and shower in.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Knightfire

1. Shower. Holy crap, alot of bad BO at Fanime this year. Some of them had the oder liked they soiled them selves. It was horrendous. Wash up for christ sakes.

2. Drink Water. Hydration is a good thing.

3. Eat "good" food regularly through out the con. Apples along with soup (Tomato and Chicken Noodle) kept me held over between meals at the con.

4. Don't avoid eating just to have money to buy more stuff. Your body will hate you by Monday.

5. Get a good amount of rest. Six hours a night should be plenty. Varies from person to person, though. If you too tired to attend a panel or viewing, it ain't worth it. Again, stress yourself out too much and your body will hate you.

6. Have a fresh change of clothes ready for each day at the con.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Dagger-6

Drink responsibly, and stay in your rooms if you are drinking heavily.  Don't wander around the concourse and throw up in the public bathrooms and everywhere else.

KitsuneOniko

They said pretty much what I was gonna say too lol... hmmm for humor sake should we do a few silly ones like "What happens in Fanime... STAYS in Fanime"? Plus from a lot of the complaints we've had this year bout those hug me/glomp me ppl n lines I think we need to revive our "glomp/hug control group" ;D
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

ChibiSerenaChan

Quote from: KitsuneOniko on June 03, 2009, 03:04:26 PM
They said pretty much what I was gonna say too lol... hmmm for humor sake should we do a few silly ones like "What happens in Fanime... STAYS in Fanime"? Plus from a lot of the complaints we've had this year bout those hug me/glomp me ppl n lines I think we need to revive our "glomp/hug control group" ;D

apparently i've been getting half half complaints and comments about those hug/glomp me line.  so some helpful tips on being a little less dangerous would be good for this one don't you think? XD

oh and, if you would love hugs and glomps, please be sure you smell nice and clean. not many would like to hug and glomp with someone that has BO that might stick to them.  :-X had friends who had that happen to them. >O_o<
One of the Original

Stage Zero Hostess (the hyper one who makes random noises) since Fanime 2006 till I retire! XD when will that be >O_o< teehee >^.^< I hope you keep supporting US HOSTS!!!

JTchinoy

Brush your teeth, put on deodorant. PLEASE.
Keep your pocky away from me, apparently pocky is destroyed when I touch it.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

rude32

Quote from: KitsuneOniko on June 03, 2009, 03:04:26 PM
OK from what I heard, What happens at Fanime, ends up on fanime forums.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Runewitt

Quote from: trooper715 on June 03, 2009, 10:45:31 AM
Drink responsibly, and stay in your rooms if you are drinking heavily.  Don't wander around the concourse and throw up in the public bathrooms and everywhere else.
what if you are vomit proof?

Dagger-6

Then don't take off your shirt and try and start fights, or smuggle alcohol to the little kiddies that aren't vomit proof.

Runewitt

Quote from: trooper715 on June 04, 2009, 11:22:14 PM
Then don't take off your shirt and try and start fights, or smuggle alcohol to the little kiddies that aren't vomit proof.
was that Party Guy, on saturday night?

oh, one more thing.

thedeke

I follow the good 5-2-1 rule. At least five hours of sleep, two good meals and one shower a day.

Glitch

Before taking someone's picture, ask permission first.
And be careful of other people costumes. Some can damage easily.

Mizuki

Be courteous. I can expand on this if you want.

Yumiko

Completely disregarding the person above me,

-Don't Caramell Dansen/Caipirinha/Glomp Sign/Hug Sign/Attempt "Scientology Raid" again unless you want my fist in your face.

-Don't "Party Boy" dance cosplayers who are inevitably yaoi-paired with your own cosplay character. Especially when said receiving cosplayer is making it very clear she is horrified of you and absolutely does not want.

-Also, if you don't have money to buy a two dollar print, don't try to steal one from an artist instead. Seriously. Just scrounge for loose change. It pisses off the artist and makes you look like a derk.

(Wow looks like this just turned into me complaining. Derp.)

Dany

A Fanime Noob (but not convention noob) brings forth a few of her own personal guidelines.

1. If you have a room, get a few light groceries for in-room noms. If you have a fridge, bonus, but if not, a small cooler can take care of some drinks. Just make sure everything is iced in the morning at least.  It's nice to be able to come back after a long day and be able to have a few nibbles to settle with.

2. If you don't have a room, bring a water bottle. You can refill it throughout the day in a variety of ways in most events. If you're not a fan of strictly water, there are those various Crystal light/Kool Aid single packs that are usually pretty cheap for a box. I personally LOVE those things :) (Oh, make sure it doesn't leak ;) )

3. Drink some water or other drink that's healthy before bed, even if you haven't been drinking. Dehydration is what usually causes the symptoms of hangovers, and you can get dehydrated whether you have been drinking or not.

4. Sleep a little so your body can recharge. It's embarrassing to fall asleep in a panel and realize you're snoring loud enough to be heard ;)

5. Have something resembling a business card with basic contact info you are comfortable giving printed out. Doesn't even need to be a card, just slips of paper off of a printer cut into smaller pieces has worked for me in the past :)

6. If it looks too dangerous to glomp it probably is (not that I glomp, but hey, it's good to keep in mind if you know folks who do).

And with that I just go back to lurking :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Neo-Zaku

Always assume an elevator has people trying to get out, wait a moment and let them before trying to get in. It makes it easier for everyone as you should never be in that big a rush.

Plan ahead. Sit down with the program guide and figure out the things you definitely want to see. No need to go crazy and plan every moment of Fanime though.

Wash your cosplay. Falls under the same thing of showering and changing clothes. If you are going to wear a cosplay for more then one day then wash it or at least febreeze the snot out of it.

Maps are your friend.

Remember you are representing the fandom. I know it sounds cheesy but you really are, especially if you are cosplaying. So be nice to the "normals" out there and be relatively brief if they ask you about your costume or Fanime. They may be interested but odds are they aren't THAT interested if you know what I mean. ;)

If you and your friends are going to have some adult beverages, make sure at least one of you is sober to wrangle the rest of the crew back to their rooms. If you aren't with a group then stay well within your tolerance and don't even think about driving back to your hotel. Most of them are within walking distance or a fairly cheap cab ride.

Sun screen. Bring it. It's stupid and simple and everyone forgets it until they have been outside for a few hours for photos. Then pain happens. At least for me but I am really fair skinned.

When taking pictures please try and move yourself and the subject towards the edges of the hallways. Or outside if possible.

If wearing a "Free Hugs/Glomps" shirt/sign, please be polite about it. People see the shirt, no need to shout about it. (Addition: Be showered and wearing clean clothes at all times if carrying said sign. Brushing doesn't hurt either.)
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

JTchinoy

Hold your phone firmly when waving it in the air.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Guess I'll put some input here:

KNOW HOW TO MANAGE YOUR MONEY!  Though it may seem difficult, it doesn't require a business/econ degree to know the basics of how much to spend.  You are not just paying for the pass; you are also paying for food, room, parking, items from AA/Dealers, etc.

Drink responsibly.  Also, make sure that everyone else drinks responsibly.

Manage your own food supplies.  The "free food or water" is often limited, so do not rely on the con nor others about it.  Of course, make sure what you intake makes you healthy, not just all booze.

Do NOT blast boombox music in specific areas like Video Room, Arcade, eGaming, or other events.  This interferes with events dramatically and having someone say "What did he or she say?" is not something people don't want to deal with.

Do not steal.

Do not commit actions that might be considered inappropriate against others without consent.  This is often targeted to those with Yaoi Paddles smacking people with it and wanting them to shout "Uke", those people randomly glomping people, or those taking pictures in uncomfortable ways.  If they did not respond, don't do it.  If they did respond with a NO, DON'T DO IT!

Do not disclose information that might hurt others unintentionally.  This is pointed to those with relationship hardships, bitter rivalries that could be easily resolved, specific "con politics" that may or may not be true, etc.  The last thing to deal with is "Con Drama."

There's more, but I'll respond more later.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

MikoChika

Showers are important

Be kind to those you do glomp, like don't mess with their costume too harshly, things can break off

Be kind to those on stage doing performances. ( it didn't really happen last year, but the year before I actually heard booing. Seriously, it takes courage to get up infront fo that many people and do a silly skit that you think might bomb anyway.)

Keep this a friendly environment. Keep Con-Drama to a min.

Please watch out for younsters. there aren't many but sometimes there are young children, don't run them over.

Food is your friend, at least eat one good meal a day.

Travel with friends, its just more fun, and safe, that way.

Try to attend at least one gathering,one panel, and visit all the rooms , such and gaming room, dealers hall, video room. one dance. You'll feel like you've truely experienced the con that way. Don't just send your time in one place.
Please, don't feed the moogle.