Fanime Tips *Hosted by Stage Zero 2010

Started by The Dude, June 02, 2009, 11:16:55 PM

Dany

Quote from: JTchinoy on November 02, 2009, 12:38:27 PM
Hold your phone firmly when waving it in the air.

Is this dedicated to the folks with the Zippo lighter app on their phone?

Wisdom has spoken :D
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

JTchinoy

Actually it's a reference to an incident that occurred at stage zero this year...

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

PyronIkari

Quote from: JTchinoy on November 14, 2009, 03:23:21 AM
Actually it's a reference to an incident that occurred at stage zero this year...

And at every concert for a long time. THE BEST BEST BEST BEST showing of this, was probably the Kotoko concert at AX. It literally looked like a sea of phones. Kotoko even commented about it and how it looked like everyone had pulled out their celphones at the same time and it was incredibly beautiful to her.

BunofGovt

(I know I'm repeating some things already said but repetition is good)

Practice courtesy.

Walk, don't run.

Plan ahead, use the program and gathering guides wisely (hey, someone spent money on getting those printed out), so you don't end up running/stressing/getting mad at companions for any delays/missing a panel/event, etc.

Plan on down-time so you don't overdo it.

If you know you'll be waiting in a long line for a panel/dealers' room/etc., bring something to read/do.  Play Cosplay bingo in line (you know, make a list of all the cosplayers in line or who walk by to see how many you recognize or how many blue-haired characters, etc.).

Be open-minded and accepting of others (within reason).

Ask permission before taking pictures.  Don't be shy, go ahead and ask if you can get your picture taken with the cosplayer, too.  The worst that can happen is that he/she will say no.

Keep hydrated.

Don't carry ALL your spending money with you at one time (or don't have it accessible).  Split it out to what you think you'll spend during the day and hide the rest (you may surprise yourself at your thriftiness and be able to treat yourself at the end of day/con) either in your room or in your bag (like that secret pocket).

Wear comfortable shoes or carry an extra pair to switch in to when your feet and legs (and your lower back) start to feel weary.  Prop your legs up when you get a chance to let the blood flow back.

Take advantage of those massages.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Mr. Wendell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

Jerry

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on November 15, 2009, 07:08:00 PM
Quote from: BunofGovt on November 14, 2009, 02:25:00 PM
I strongly agree with this statement.

Just make sure your getting the massages from someone you trust or someone you know well.

Lets not forget some of the fanboys/girls will find any excuse to break your touch bubble. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Mr. Wendell

Quote from: Jerry on November 16, 2009, 08:23:07 AM

Just make sure your getting the massages from someone you trust or someone you know well.

Lets not forget some of the fanboys/girls will find any excuse to break your touch bubble. :P
You know those masseuses across from Stage Zero are highly recommended. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

Mizuki

Ugh, don't remind me of the massages...

I totally forgot to go there and get one, and I realllllly needed one too.

Chem0

Don't carry ALL your spending money with you at one time (or don't have it accessible).  Split it out to what you think you'll spend during the day and hide the rest (you may surprise yourself at your thriftiness and be able to treat yourself at the end of day/con) either in your room or in your bag (like that secret pocket).
^
This is a biggy.
Watch your impulse buying too. It could really bum you out. *experience*

Kyra_Maverick

Keep in mind that your actions represent Fanime and all of it's guests. Hotels shouldn't have to post signs telling people not to sleep in the lobby. While Fanime is likely the center of excitement for you, there are other people who are staying in these hotels too. Try not to make all of us look like raging schizophrenics. It's hard to convince people you're having a good time when you look like you haven't eaten, slept or showered all weekend. 

PyronIkari

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on November 19, 2009, 04:57:20 PM
Quote from: Jerry on November 16, 2009, 08:23:07 AM

You know those masseuses across from Stage Zero are highly recommended. :D

In this vein... DON'T BE A DOUCHE... if you get a massage TIP THEM.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Knucker on November 28, 2009, 07:52:26 AM
^
This is a biggy.
Easier method: make a budget beforehand, and stick to it.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

otakuya

1) Be happy and have fun, which is what the con is for in the first place

2) Go outside and get some fresh air

3) Even though it's an anime convention, get your mind off of anime/gaming/cosplay/etc for a bit to regain sanity, composure, and finances, maybe the hotel lobby or somewhere with a TV on the news or a Sharks playoff game (I wish).

4) Don't "plan" to do something before the con starts, such as thinking "I'm gonna do this, attend this, this, and this, meet this person and this person, glomp this character and that character, etc...", chances are you won't follow it. Unless you are the one hosting an activity or event, and even then it's not certain.

Kamen Rider Tag

A few things:

- TAKE A SHOWER BEFORE YOU SHOW UP.  Good hygiene goes a long way.  Brushing your teeth is also recommended.
- Be courteous.  Don't be that dude who just accidentally bumps into someone and then walks off like it wasn't his problem.  Apologize to the person if that happens.
- MAKE A BUDGET.  Figure out how much you want to spend on what day (food, hotel expenses, any disposable income for the Dealer's Hall, etc.).  Plus, when out in the Dealer's Hall, browse around a bit.  You never know; that figure or model you've wanted so badly might be cheaper at another booth or stall.  This also goes hand-in-hand with buying on impulse; try not to do this.  You don't want this convention to become a financial money pit for you personally.
- HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE.  If you gotta go to CostCo before the con and buy 3 cases of bottled water, do so.  A lot of people in one place = a lot of body heat, which will also lead to dehydration, fainting, etc.  Make sure you have some water on you when you're out and about; don't just drink some when you go get a bite to eat.
- Tip the masseuses if you decide to get a massage.  Just throwing that out there.
- Don't stay in one particular area for too long.  Go around; enjoy the sights.  If you stay in one area the entire time, before you know it the con's already over and you haven't really done anything.
- Keep a positive attitude.  Con drama = no fun for anybody, plus you risk getting banned.  Don't be that guy.
- Try to watch the language (as in the profane or vulgar kind), especially amongst the younger kids.  Although some of them might also say such things, I'd still watch out; you might accidentally offend somebody and not know it.
- Get a good night's rest the night before.
- If you feel a little too overwhelmed by all the goings-on (stress, exhaustion, just too much anime, people constantly saying "you just blah blah blah"), just get away for a bit.  Go back to your hotel room; take a load off.  Get a power nap in.  Relax.
- Try to be sociable.  It's an anime convention; we all like the same thing.  Try to make a few new friends while you're at it.

That's about all I can think of.  Also, one last thing:  if you see any demonstrators or protesters like the ones we got last year, try not to egg 'em on.  The only thing you're doing is making yourself as well as the staff look bad.  If an incident like that happens, just call the police.

LightandDarkSoul

~ If you make a rest stop, whether at Stage Zero, outside, or in the gaming hall, be sure to have your items where you can see them, in front of you and within arms distance. (Happened to my brother in gaming hall. $100+ worth of DS and games stolen right from his backpack.)

~ When walking around the convention, carry as little as possible. If you buy from the dealers room, take the time to drop off your items at your hotel room or your car.

~Be mindful of what you are carrying. If you have a large prop/weapon, have common sense and carry it without hitting people. (I've gotten hit a couple of times)

~Watch out for people taking pictures. You can ruin a great cosplay picture just by walking in front of a camera. So be nice and walk behind the cosplayers or the photographer.

Brainpowerd

Quote from: LightandDarkSoul on January 04, 2010, 11:37:38 PM~Watch out for people taking pictures. You can ruin a great cosplay picture just by walking in front of a camera. So be nice and walk behind the cosplayers or the photographer.

Also, for those having your pictures taken or attempting to take pictures. Please do not simply stop in the middle of the concourse walkway because that causes for a fire hazard. The upper convention concourse services close to 15,000 people moving to and from other convention events throughout the day. If you are asked to take a picture, please be courteous and move either closer to the wall or the railling of the convention walkway or, if you have time, move to the downstair area where there are significantly fewer people. This will probably make for clearer, less populated photos and a happier convention experience all around as the Rovers (usually the bad guys in this scenario) will not have to ask people (politely yet in a firm tone) to move...
- Assistant Director of Programming,
   FanimeCon '06

lyricaldanichan

Agreed, so much that there should areas in the concourse where people can take pictures without killing the flow of traffic.

I remember there was talk about having a backdrop area where people can take pics, but nothing even came out of that.

Quote from: Brainpowerd on January 18, 2010, 06:10:04 PM
Quote from: LightandDarkSoul on January 04, 2010, 11:37:38 PM~Watch out for people taking pictures. You can ruin a great cosplay picture just by walking in front of a camera. So be nice and walk behind the cosplayers or the photographer.

Also, for those having your pictures taken or attempting to take pictures. Please do not simply stop in the middle of the concourse walkway because that causes for a fire hazard. The upper convention concourse services close to 15,000 people moving to and from other convention events throughout the day. If you are asked to take a picture, please be courteous and move either closer to the wall or the railling of the convention walkway or, if you have time, move to the downstair area where there are significantly fewer people. This will probably make for clearer, less populated photos and a happier convention experience all around as the Rovers (usually the bad guys in this scenario) will not have to ask people (politely yet in a firm tone) to move...

Knightfire

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on January 18, 2010, 09:34:59 PM
Agreed, so much that there should areas in the concourse where people can take pictures without killing the flow of traffic.

I remember there was talk about having a backdrop area where people can take pics, but nothing even came out of that.

Quote from: Brainpowerd on January 18, 2010, 06:10:04 PM

I would love for a back drop area
Starting work for Fanime 2011

VanessaAyukawa

A backdrop sounds like a great idea. I wouldn't mind seeing that at the con.

Glitch

Quote from: otakuapprentice on December 03, 2009, 07:11:18 PM
Quote from: Knucker on November 28, 2009, 07:52:26 AM
^
This is a biggy.
Easier method: make a budget beforehand, and stick to it.
This probably can't be stressed enough. I wanna smack every person who says at fanime "oh no! I don't have cash left for hotel and food."