How do you feel...

Started by Lan Moore, June 28, 2009, 12:45:41 AM

Lan Moore

How do you feel about people who buy their costumes for cosplaying? Are you one of those people?

Pengin-san

I don't hate people who buy their costumes, I just disagree with the idea.  I'm not in charge of what they do, but I personally don't like it.  I think part of the charm of cosplay is making it yourself.  Not from scratch completely all the time, but having your own work on it.  Even if you're not the best seamstress, you can tell who put work into it and who just cut holes in some felt.  I wouldn't ever buy my cosplay.  It just wouldn't feel authentic.
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

anime4me

I don't hate people who buy their costumes, but it seems like the easy way out.  To me, cosplay is my art.  For those of us that make our own costumes, it makes it that much harder to make them look authentic because the pre-made ones are made by machines and the detailing is typically perfect.  Making them by hand is much harder.  I made Tales of Symphonia costumes this last year and even though they weren't perfect and didn't look quite as "good" as the ones people bought in stores, I was proud because I put hard work into them.  It feels like a betrayal to the art to buy an entire costume.  I buy some difficult items like hats and swords.  I'm not opposed to buying something extremely difficult to make, as long as it's not passed off as someone's own work.

EDITED because I accidentally pushed the edit button and so I might as well...
Sheena Fujibayashi: Did you see my attack?
Zelos Wilder: Oh yeah, baby, I was watching.
Sheena Fujibayashi: For some reason, I don't think that's what you were focusing on.

Charis

I understand that not everyone has the time/resources/skills to make a costume themselves.  I have more respect for those who do, because it's not at all easy, and I see nothing wrong with buying some part of the costume that's readily available (e.g. a hakama) to save time/tears/insanity.

But my personal two cents is that I'll make my own stuff, because it'd feel like a cop-out to buy something I know I can make.  On a similar vein I prefer to see other people make their stuff.  It's learning good skills, and goodness knows that mass-produced bought cosplays are seldom accurate.  (Commissions are a grey space, really.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

BSaphire

There are people who can draw, write, dance, sing, play an instrument, speak multiple languages, solve complex mathematical or scientific problems and the like. Then there are those that can't.

Sewing isn't something that everyone can do... thank goodness or I wouldn't get the money I get on consignments :P but to knock someone for purchasing a costume over one whom makes it is not fair... in my humble opinion. I applaude all those who try, but if you have been on the receiving end of vicious conversation over something you made then you will purchase it.

To me it is like slamming all those mothers who didn't make their child's costumes for Halloween, the Christmas pageant, or pretty dresses for Easter. If you didn't have someone to show you how it is done when you are growing up then you are at a HUGE disadvantage.

On the other end of that, I am to a cosplayer that makes their costumes both by hand and by machine. I event went as far as to make my own wig. I have seen all to often other cosplayers talking smack about the kid who doesn't have the money to make it look really great.

The $50 dollar cosplay kid is one that comes to mind. From a far he was being judged unfairly until I over heard it and pointed out that his point was to cosplay characters that he liked, he did the research, but most importantly that were $50 bucks or less proving that you can cosplay on a very limited budget. Only then did they get it and nice as they were they then stuck up for the guy when they over heard someone later dogging the same kid.

Cosplaying should be fun, weather or not your cosplay is purchased, and what should matter is how well they do their poses, can interact in character, and know the character because these things can cause issues with photos, skits, and piss other cosplayers off... In my humble opinion...

BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

kimu

Also...within a cosplayer's collection are going to be things like improved costumes as you learn more, or some that are simpler and some that are more complex.
It's nice to have both kinds, especially for day 0s, last days. or maybe evening where you just want something easy to put on and wear. 
I have a couple crazy costumes with things like 28 hours just on a skirt made of $10 a yard silk...and I have a costume that unless I really wanted to master knitting... (my prior attempt years ago was a disaster and I'm seriously not interested in taking up that skill....) So I just bought the sweater.
If you're not trying to enter a contest that is based on making one's costume....
If you don't misrepresent yourself about what was made or commissioned or bought....
Then if you're having fun and it fits the character, it's all good.

ZweiFateheart

Cosplaying is all about having fun whether you make or buy your costume(s).

I have a friend that makes my costume whenever she has free time. The thing is she doesn't like to make accessories and I would have to come up with a way to get these accessories. Whether it buying it if available or making it. So I guess I am somewhat inbetween the two.

What is the TS opinion on this matter?

redroses3164

The only time I believe it matters when someone buys a costume is if that person tries to enter a contest and pretends that they made it. Other than that, I see no problem buying cosplay outfits because cosplaying is for fun. It's just a hobby after all. Some people are more dedicated to the hobby and make everything under the sun but that shouldn't stop someone from buying/commissioning a costume.

Kertus

My buddies and I don't really make our own from scratch and own fabric completely since we always get in on the planning for cosplay only a week before the con each year, but we do search alot for good pieces and hand make most all our accessories :P  Like this year how we made jailbot and did all that wiring lol
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Lan Moore

Quote from: redroses3164 on June 28, 2009, 03:14:22 PM
The only time I believe it matters when someone buys a costume is if that person tries to enter a contest and pretends that they made it. Other than that, I see no problem buying cosplay outfits because cosplaying is for fun. It's just a hobby after all. Some people are more dedicated to the hobby and make everything under the sun but that shouldn't stop someone from buying/commissioning a costume.
I have to agree with you there, no one should act like they made a bought costume.

BrightHeart76

I totally agree with what B said.  I'm not a great seamstress, my skills are in other fields.  However, I know people who are skilled at sewing and need money.  When I buy cosplays from them it allows them to work on their craft and for me to have a cosplay I can wear with pride.  I usually have a business card with me incase anyone wants to contact the seamstress who made whatever cosplay I'm wearing.

Anyone who lies about how they came about their cosplay really don't float with me. 

I've made a cosplay before.  Heck I make my Halloween costumes and they're not bad.  However, when I go to Fanime I usually wear a cosplay made by someone else simply because there are more people there who will ruthlessly pick apart the details of a cosplay.  I want to enjoy myself not worry about details.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

BSaphire

I am in agreement with kimu, redroses, and BrightHeart on people who try to pass of anothers work as their own. I have had that happen with some of my work and it is just wrong.

A perfect for instance... while pre judging for cosplay masq & there was an entry that really tried to convince all of us judges that her cosplay was made by her and her grandmother. It was obvious to us that the main outfit was purchased and she did a hair accessory, but had she noticed the cosplayer sitting behind the judges and off to the side was wearing the EXACT SAME cosplay she might have owned up that she purchased it.

Purchased cosplay was allowed to enter, but was not eligible on the craftsmanship portion, I personally think she lied because it eliminated her from the "Best In/Of" category. I was greatly disappointed because it took time away from those cosplayers who's hard work and developing skills were up there to be judged, not to mention making her look bad. I am glad that the big majority are honest about what parts they made and you can tell the pride that someone has in something they have created especially when they had to overcome a hard obstacle to get to the finished product. ^^)
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Lan Moore

Yeah I can't male a cosplay for the life of me, but when I buy one or wear some one else's I never take credit for it, that's for sure. Besides I don't have the skill and there is not reason for me to lie and say I do.

Barnes

What if I buy something for Halloween, but also wear it casually for Fanime? (not for competing)
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Druix

Just over a year ago, I was one of those people that bought costumes. These days, I make all my own, and sometimes some of my friends'. It's all a matter of ability. I didn't know how to sew, so I bought. But I also worked on learning how to sew. But that's because it's a creative outlet for me, an art form. So really, it depends on your personal outlook on cosplaying itself.

If you go to conventions just to go to conventions and meet other people and buy merchandise, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying costumes. But!! If you cosplay for the recognition, for the attention and the compliments, then I think it is a bit...well, bad....to buy costumes. Because then you're getting praise for work that is not yours. And let's be honest; the majority of people won't put "I bought this costume from (website)" in the description of all their photos on deviantart or wherever they happen to be.

So I suppose it really depends on the cosplayer as a person. Individually. I....>_< aaahh, I'm not sure this is coming out right. I hope I'm getting out what I mean to say, but......XP aah, I'm just gonna stop talking now -skuttles off-

2010 Cosplays:
~Sasuke Uchiha (Naruto: Shippuuden)
~Katara (Avatar Book 3)
~Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)
~Cain (Starfighter)
~Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji)

Lan Moore

I wish i could make costumes, but I suck.

Ryo_Hellsing

Truthfully I don't think it matters. Cosplay to me is a Hobby  I think that the people who can create their own costumes deserve the credit for the hard work that they did put in.  I respect them greatly. But some people can not sew or have not been to be tough yet. Plus the people who do make the costumes do need money, and when people do not know how to sew and buy the costumes,.. $$$ . I know a few people who have payed their bills from it.
Right now I am learning how to sew however it will be a long time before I feel comfortable to wear it proudly. I have bought only one custom made costume but the rest of my cosplays where either handy- downs from friends or clothing that I had to edit from stores or my own closet. [ Those poor blood stained white shirts,... They never stood a chance]

redroses3164

Quote from: Barnes on June 30, 2009, 03:04:48 PM
What if I buy something for Halloween, but also wear it casually for Fanime? (not for competing)

Well that's fine too. The only thing about Halloween costumes though is that they tend to be very cheaply made and are highly expensive for the materials put into Halloween stuff. I remember browsing a Halloween store before the holiday itself and things cost $35 when it could easily be made with $15 or something. Halloween costumes have really crappy fabric.

anime4me

I just had a thought with regards to Halloween costumes and cosplay.  Might be slightly off topic, but sometimes you can find things in hand me down stores like the Salvation Army or trendier second hand stores (many major cities and tourist/college towns have these) that look way better than the stuff you can spend a ton of money on in a Halloween store.  Before I started making costumes and before I started cosplaying, I found a ton of great items in second hand stores.  I think I made an entire gothic fairy costume from hand me downs one year and it only cost $15 as opposed to the $50 they were asking for in the Halloween store.  Just a thought for anyone who is thinking about Halloween costumes for this year already.  If you start looking soon enough and are willing to explore multiple stores, you can find everything you need for an awesome costume without having to sew or spend money on cheap, poorly made, and overpriced items.
Sheena Fujibayashi: Did you see my attack?
Zelos Wilder: Oh yeah, baby, I was watching.
Sheena Fujibayashi: For some reason, I don't think that's what you were focusing on.

AnimeEmperor

I have no skill in making cosplay, I made an attempt once and was traumatized by the results. Also my schedule is pretty stuffed as it is, so I wouldn't have much time to work on cosplay anyway. I buy my cosplays, I am happier having them done by a professional. I just dress up to have more fun, I don't even try to show off. I didn't make the thing, i'm just wearing it.

So it's fine by me, just don't enter any contests with a store bought costume.