Traveling to Fanime

Started by Kertus, July 02, 2009, 10:00:50 PM

Kertus

Hi, I was wondering if the con ever thought about cutting deals with airlines and stuff like other conventions and conferences sometimes do?  I know people who travel far to get to the con would appreciate it and it might even make us more accessible to some who want to come but haven't been able to in the past because of the cost.
It seems most airlines will give between 5 and 10% off, I think someone official with the con or whatever just needs to ask them about it and have some info about attendance numbers, projected amount of people, demographics so that the companies will be more willing to give out discount.
I've done a bit of research into it and have links to conferences and stuff that have done it, I'm not sure if they would for fanime or not, but I'm sure we've got a demographic they're into, and playing the whole getting brand loyalty while people are young.
Hell I'd negotiate with them myself but I'm in no official position with the con, just think it would be neat for it to get rolling to help cut people's cost and maybe allow people to make it out who otherwise wouldn't.
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Steve.Young

Hi Kertus,

This idea is already being brought up, we'll see how it pans out. There are a lot of things for Fanime already in the works for next year, so stay tuned. =p

-Steve
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Kertus

Quote from: Steve.Young on July 02, 2009, 10:54:09 PM
Hi Kertus,

This idea is already being brought up, we'll see how it pans out. There are a lot of things for Fanime already in the works for next year, so stay tuned. =p

-Steve

That's great to hear! If you need any help or suggestions let me know I looked into how alot of other conferences did it, seems very important to start as soon as possible in contacting them so by the time people start booking the promo codes and offers would be ready to be used. I look forward to hearing any developments ^_^

apsykes

Like FanimeCon, Further Confusion, Nvision, or any convention that happens to bring people all over the world (And U.S)  Actually Stimulate San Jose's Economy!

Fact: Further Confusion's attendees spend a estimate of 2 Million Dollars in stuff that stimulates San Jose.

Conventions, Stimulating the Economy, one attendee at a time XD

To get back on topic, Yes fanime plz split deals with transportation and stuff, I REALLY WANT TO RENT A LIMO TO DRIVE ME TO FANIME (5 miles away XD)
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

Kertus

Hey I was just wondering if there's any news since we're starting to get into the fall when some people begin to plan their money saving and traveling for fanimu.

ewu

most likely if anything is set up, you wont hear until november or december at the earliest.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

KyraEnsui

It is best to save now than later.

HunterZero

As far as traveling, I highly suggest getting tickets with Southwest Airlines if possible. San Jose airport is a major SWA hub and they take up almost half of the airport. They're usually pretty cheap, especially if you reserve ahead of time. SWA only accepts reservations 6.5 months in advance, so you'll want to check their website in December. You can then take the light rail from the airport to the convention center.
Cthulhu for President!
"Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." -- Shunryu Suzuki

venus_ivy

I'd be happy to look into this for future years, although I'm not sure if it would be possible at this time. Any savings at all for our attendees are awesome, so it's always good to have more options  :)
What do I do for Fanime? I say No!

Kertus

Hi, since reg is opened now I was wondering if anything had been done about my idea  :P

If nothing for this year I would like to join staff to help out for future years in this kind of thing if it is possible