Volcano High... MTV Style

Started by Kyo Sanzaki, December 19, 2003, 12:00:29 PM

Kyo Sanzaki

You're either dead, dying, or about to die.

Vanessa

When is it out again? Just kidding. I just think it's totally random how they get every single black artist out there to voice Japanese schoolchildren. I'm very curious as to how it's going to turn out. I do hope it goes well, because I would like to more Japanese flim's on such a big outlet.

Nephilim

i thought there was a topic of this already... o.o
if i haven't said it somewhere else before, i just hope they don't try to make it funny, using the rappers voices to dub it.

"Frah muja lycd sa uid, ed fyc lniamdo fru duug bedo uh sa..."

Kyo Sanzaki

Quotei thought there was a topic of this already... o.o

Oh. Whoops. Sorry bout that, heh.

Nephilim

it might just be my imagination. i remember someone saying that dubbing it with rappers would just kill it, and that hopefully there would be a subbed version. it might just be going on in my head though. O.o

protocol7

Aparently it was on yesterday.

Horribly dubbed.
Dubbed in rap soundtrack so the original sound effects were useless.
And changed the plot.

Boo!
FanimeCons resident zombie.
*I* MADE this happen!

KinFreon

American producers bringing over Asian popular culture...good.

American producers grossly dubbing urban American popular culture over Asian popular culture...bad.

It was better done in the 60s and 70s, from when Kareem Abdul-Jabbar appeared in that Bruce Lee movie (and got his ass kicked), right up to the movies that nicely mixed Kung Fu with Blaxploitation. I can just tell by the packaging that "Volcano High" is not at all palatable.

Required Viewing -- "The Last Dragon"

Produced by Berry Gordy, the visionary head of Motown Records in the 1980s, this movie is a crafty mix of martial arts, urban American culture, crazy East-meets-West action (including the villain "Sho-Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem"), and lots of 1980's music and fashion (real 80s junkies will recognize Vanity, one of Prince's female proteges of the time). This will more than make up for "Volcano High". ^_^

EDIT: And the most memorable line from the movie, which was one of my favorite taunts in high school..."Kiss my Converse!"

Glitch

Last dragon is uber cool.^^

Now onto volcano high.This seemed like MTV's way of exploiting a movie in order to promote their product.Although it does not surprise me since it is mtv we're talking about.It would have been better if they made a martial arts movie with rappers instead of butchering volcano high.

KinFreon

Haven't there been martial arts movies done with rappers? Or are we talking about a movie comprised entirely of rap singers doing martial arts? Man...that's going to take a lot of disciplined training...

Of course I know the Jet Li movies "Romeo Must Die" and "Cradle 2 The Grave" had enough hip-hop personalities. Though I don't know if that would be considered "Martial Arts Cinema" or just straight "HK Action". I just know I recognized a lot of scenes from "Romeo Must Die" as Vancouver, BC, Canada (right down to the city buses), even though they claim it was set in Oakland, California.

Nephilim

Quote from: "Ryuunosuke Ayanami"Aparently it was on yesterday.
i missed it! ;__;

BlackDelo

It's probably best that you did miss it. Go for the subbed.

"Bean Paste Soup"
www.myspace.com/bigfatiori

"You know, AX gives you cancer."

ChibiSerenaChan

One of the Original

Stage Zero Hostess (the hyper one who makes random noises) since Fanime 2006 till I retire! XD when will that be >O_o< teehee >^.^< I hope you keep supporting US HOSTS!!!

Haruka

Yeah, where can I get a subbed version.  I tried watching the dub, but it was pretty bad and reminded me too much of "Kung Faux," which is hilarious, BTW.  I was unable to enjoy it and take it seriously.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Kyo Sanzaki

Any of you guys live in the bay area (i'm assuming most on this board do). In that case, head over Pacific East Mall. Kinsgstone Books has the subbed version on either VCD or DVD, I forget. :mrgreen:

ChibiSerenaChan

i always wanted to watch it but i don't really have any channels.. i have no cable so i don't know how the dubb is like >^_^<;; from the sound of it don't even want to try watching it

where's pacific east mall? >O_o<
One of the Original

Stage Zero Hostess (the hyper one who makes random noises) since Fanime 2006 till I retire! XD when will that be >O_o< teehee >^.^< I hope you keep supporting US HOSTS!!!

maikaerin

It hurt my head. I have no clue why they did it. Kelis should be shot. THE END.
Ikaw ang lahat sa akin!

You're my everything

... not really, but i'm addicted to this show.

topnotch97

hey isn't Volcano High a Korean movie?
Retired from Fanime.
Thinking of coming back. :D

swordofthebezerk

Well it says here on the official fanime schedule that it is indeed a korean movie.

Updated Version

ChibiSerenaChan

One of the Original

swordofthebezerk

*slaps the schedule* yup see right here *points to the word korean next to the movie title* a korean film.

Updated Version