Halo Anime

Started by Dagger-6, July 23, 2009, 11:09:52 AM

Dagger-6

From IGN:
QuoteSDCC 09: Microsoft Making Halo Anime
Japanese production houses working seven 'Legends' short films.

July 23, 2009 - The Halo-verse just got bigger. Microsoft is producing Halo Legends, an anime-style series comprised of seven short films that expand the story behind the wildly popular videogame franchise.

Five production houses in Japan -- Bones, Casio Entertainment, Production I.G., Studio4 C, and Toei Animation -- are handling the animation, while Microsoft's creative staff is handling the approval for the visuals and storytelling, the software maker announced today.

"The opportunity to work with talents such as Shinji Aramaki, Mamoru Oshii and others from some of the greatest anime studios is a very rare opportunity for Microsoft," said Frank O'Connor, Halo franchise development director and provider of story and creative direction for 343 Industries.

"We've seen the world through Master Chief's eyes, and we've experienced facets of the universe through a variety of literary prisms, but now we get to watch new tales unfold in really rich, visually dynamic ways. I think anime fans and Halo fans alike are in for a real treat."

Few story details have emerged, but the Los Angeles times has the broad strokes. Shinji Aramaki, one of the creative directors working with Microsoft on the project, is crafting a short that will detail the history of the Spartan warrior class.

Another installment from Studio4 C, "Origins," is a two-part film. The two 30-minutes segements tell "the entire 100,000 year history of the Halo universe."

"I think the core Halo fans will recognize key moments from the universe never shown in the game," he said. "They're moments where people wanted more depth. That's where this fits," O'Connor explains.

Warner Bros. will distribute Halo Legends on DVD, Blu-ray, and digitally in early 2010. Xbox Live fans can catch a preview of the anime this fall.

The first look at Halo Legends will be revealed during the Halo panel at Comic-Con on Thursday.

From Gametrailers:
Quote"Halo Legends," which will officially debut at a panel presentation today at Comic-Con International in San Diego, is being produced by Microsoft's 343 Industries and features creative direction from anime pioneer Shinji Aramaki, director of the critically acclaimed "Appleseed" and "Appleseed EX Machina" anime features, and Mamoru Oshii, director of the landmark "Ghost in the Shell" movies, with additional production from Joseph Chou of J-Spec Pictures. "

From Halo.bungie.org
QuoteMicrosoft is producing seven short films titled "Halo Legends" in the anime style. Five production houses in Japan are handling the physical animation, but Microsoft's creative staff is approving major visual and storytelling decisions, O'Connor said.

Press release:
QuoteA preview of select "Halo Legends" episodes will first debut on Xbox LIVE, the largest gaming and entertainment network in the world, starting this fall through a new experience called Halo Waypoint. Launching in fall, Halo Waypoint will be a new destination for "Halo" fans on Xbox LIVE around the world. It will inform fans of the latest "Halo" news and activities, and grant access to content ranging from podcasts, trailers and screenshots, to exclusive video footage you won't find anywhere else. It also will provide a new challenge for "Halo" gamers with a career system and player rankings tied to both in-game and out-of-game accomplishments related to "Halo." In addition to the limited, early episode premieres, Halo Waypoint will debut several behind-the-scenes videos that chronicle the making of "Halo Legends."

The first trailer for Legends will air tonight on GTTV on Spike, at 12:30am.

There is also a panel at Comic Con today.

Guess this means I'll feel a little less out of place wearing Halo armor to Fanime. =P

Liquid

Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

LordKefka

Damn Studio 4C is in on it too. Bill Gates must have offered them a new airport or something.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Mizuki

And we will soon find out that some things should belong in their home countries (i.e. PPG, Dragonball, etc.)

mDuo13

Quote from: LordKefka on July 23, 2009, 12:36:04 PM
Damn Studio 4C is in on it too. Bill Gates must have offered them a new airport or something.
What are you talking about? Studio 4°C is always, like, the first one to jump on any "America wants an anime!" bandwagon. OK, sorry, make that the second, #1 being Production IG. Bones is another non-surprise (what with Afro Samurai under their belt and all).

Anyway, this sounds just like the Batmanime, which was pretty good at times and kinda dull at times. I expect something similar here.

LordKefka

bah... nvm. I was referring to something else..
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

Oh sweet Jesus...

Well considering it's Microsoft I didn't doubt this would happen.
Still...

Well with a few known Studios on board, and a favorite Bones, I can look forward to this. I hope that this comes out good. But at the very least I get to see some more stories set in the Halo Universe. Always a plus side. Which reminds me I still need to play Halo Wars...
I guess I can say i'm looking forward to this.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Dagger-6

Trailer's out:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-halo-legends/53157

My thoughts: Lore is dead, those crotch-rocket ships look out of place, and I can't wait to see what comes out from this collaberation because it looks pretty neat.  Lots of different styles.  Reminds me of Animatrix, or the Halo comic book (and I've hear the Batman one referenced as a similar project before also, though I haven't seen it yet)

david

I don't understand why they need five production houses to work on animation.  I mean, I've never heard of this happening before.

Anyway this could be alright.  It could either be a huge hit or a huge bust.  I can't think of any successful video game to anime crossovers (but then again I don't know what I'm talking about lol).  I remember the Tales of Symphonia anime and that wasn't too good imo.  So i dont know...this could go either way.

Oh and here's the site

http://www.globalhalo.com/

Dagger-6

Quote from: david on July 24, 2009, 09:29:47 AM
I don't understand why they need five production houses to work on animation.  I mean, I've never heard of this happening before.

It's similar to what they did with the Animatrix, where each studio is working on a short segment that is independent from each other.

Lucifargundam

I hope the series turns out ok... I hope it's more persistant(not to be confused with consistant) than Red vs blue. It's gunna be the closest thing we're ever gunna get to to a Halo movie.

Bit off-topic:: I dont know if ODST will be to my palate... I have hopes but I havent seen much media hype and I've only seen one trailer. I'ma rent it before I buy it. Anyone here gunna do the same?

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

TC X0 Lt 0X

You can never say there wont be a Halo Movie.
WE are talking about Microsoft. They will try to cash into anything.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on July 29, 2009, 04:14:47 PM
Yes, but wouldn't they have dont it by now? Its been 9 years; only dust and echoes so far.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Lucifargundam on July 29, 2009, 05:33:34 PM
Yes, but wouldn't they have dont it by now? Its been 9 years; only dust and echoes so far.
Well 5 years ago a game being made into a movie was almost unheard of. Even now only a few movies based on games are coming out. We can assume it will be a few more years until a Halo movie is made.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Lucifargundam

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on July 29, 2009, 08:14:31 PM
Quote from: Lucifargundam on July 29, 2009, 05:33:34 PM
Well 5 years ago a game being made into a movie was almost unheard of. Even now only a few movies based on games are coming out. We can assume it will be a few more years until a Halo movie is made.
I suppose with Microsoft in the equation, it's possible. But they've had the idea thrown at them for a long long time. Rumors have been around for too long. Bungie says it'll never happen but they're not the boss.... I just dont see it happening though. Red vs blue and any series microsoft cooks up is likely all we'll get. I'll just continue to read the books and play a movie in my mind mk? :)

havok rt

Quote from: mDuo13 on July 23, 2009, 06:53:30 PM
What are you talking about? Studio 4°C is always, like, the first one to jump on any "America wants an anime!" bandwagon. OK, sorry, make that the second, #1 being Production IG. Bones is another non-surprise (what with Afro Samurai under their belt and all).

Anyway, this sounds just like the Batmanime, which was pretty good at times and kinda dull at times. I expect something similar here.
Actually, that was Gonzo that did "Afro Samurai."(One of their few decent titles IMO).
As for the Halo anime I expect it to be like "The Animatrix" or "Batman: Gotham Knight" though probably judge by what I've seen so far, it probably won't be as good as either of those.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: havok rt on September 09, 2009, 09:39:00 PM
Quote from: mDuo13 on July 23, 2009, 06:53:30 PM

Actually, that was Gonzo that did "Afro Samurai."(One of their few decent titles IMO).
As for the Halo anime I expect it to be like "The Animatrix" or "Batman: Gotham Knight" though probably judge by what I've seen so far, it probably won't be as good as either of those.
The Animatrix was good?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.