Cosplay sewing patterns

Started by xXbabykisaXx, August 02, 2009, 02:08:25 PM

xXbabykisaXx

I have looked and looked, still havn't found any sewing patterns. Maybe i am not lookign hard enough!! Well if anybody could help i am looking for Devil May Cry IV 4 Kyrie Cosplay, Final Fantasy XIII 13 Lightning Cosplay,Temari from Naruto(any of her outfits), The Akastuke outfit, Anbu black ops, Sailor Moon Lita Kino Cosplay, Battle Vixens Ikki Tousen Cheongsam Cosplay,Dead or Alive Kasumi Black Cosplay, and any type of Fox or kitty girl cosplays. ;)
Shhhh......-wispers- Those stinking yellow faires are after us fritz -pets Fritz the sheep-

Charis

For most cosplay, you either have to find a 'close enough' pattern and modify it or invent one from scratch.  I don't know what a number of those outfits look like, but Folkwear Patterns has a cheongsam.  Really, your best bet is to take the pile of reference images and sit at your local JoAnn's or whatever and look through pattern books for starting points.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

xXbabykisaXx

Thanks I just have to make some of my cosplays from the scraps of clothing i got and it usaly works.
Shhhh......-wispers- Those stinking yellow faires are after us fritz -pets Fritz the sheep-

anime4me

I don't know what any of your characters except Temari look like, but I use a lot of Simplicity patterns.  They have a huge selection of costumes that are easy to modify to fit your needs.  I like Folkwear patterns, too, but I will say not to waste your money if you're looking for a hakama pattern from them.  I spent money to get it and the directions are actually not that great.  I found directions online that made much more sense and turned out better.
Sheena Fujibayashi: Did you see my attack?
Zelos Wilder: Oh yeah, baby, I was watching.
Sheena Fujibayashi: For some reason, I don't think that's what you were focusing on.

BSaphire

Quote from: anime4me on August 02, 2009, 04:51:50 PM
I don't know what any of your characters except Temari look like, but I use a lot of Simplicity patterns.  They have a huge selection of costumes that are easy to modify to fit your needs.  I like Folkwear patterns, too, but I will say not to waste your money if you're looking for a hakama pattern from them.  I spent money to get it and the directions are actually not that great.  I found directions online that made much more sense and turned out better.
There are not a lot of patterns out there that I specifically use with out modification. I have just gone into creating the piece or pieces I need to do a cosplay. As for Hakama, Yukata, and Kimono there are lots of accuracy flaws that I had to solve with each one I have found so far. The biggest one out there is the Hakama patterns have a basic structural flaw and the only way to compensate it is to understand Japanese clothing and patterns.

I agree with going to JoAnns and looking through the catalogs (look in the Halloween costume section for starters) and instead of looking for a pattern that is the same as what you want rather look at a pattern with the most design similarities (if you understand clothing construction and pattern principles) then you can alter the pieces to provide a better visual.

For all the cospeeps out there: Halloween is one of the best times to pick up stuff for your future cosplays so save your extra money for several shopping trips to pick up wigs, props, make-up, unique shoes/boots, and lots of other odds and ends. Now is the time to look at the new fall patterns if you plan on making some of your cosplays. Just wanted to throw that "heads up" out there to everyone ^^)

XXX's
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC