La Tomatina en Reno...come join in the food fight!

Started by BrightHeart76, August 18, 2009, 03:35:33 PM

BrightHeart76

So...we're having a HUGE tomato based food fight here in Reno on Saturday August 29th.  It costs $10 to join in, proceeds are for a good cause. 

If anyone would like to join in the fun I have room in my apartment for a few people...a few people over 21 who can be well behaved that is.  The 21 thing isn't because I have an issue with people under 21.  It is because I have some booze in my home and I work for the school district.  I need to make sure nothing happens that could get me in trouble.

Let me know!

Knowing no bounds, the Club Cal Neva will once again push the envelope with La Tomatina en Reno, what the club believes will be the nation's largest ever food fight.

On Saturday, August 29, 2009, at approximately 6:00 p.m., the City Plaza at 10 North Virginia Street will be covered with people drenched in tomato juice as a crowd estimated to be between 3,000 and 5,000 people participate in the country's biggest tomato fight.

Admission in to the tomato fight is a minimum $10.00 donation with all profit from the event going to the American Cancer Society.

The event will begin at 1:00 p.m. with street vendors populating Virginia Street between First and Second Streets. Visitors will be able to enjoy plenty of food, beverage, and live street acts while they peruse for gifts and novelties from various local vendors. Food and merchandise vendors will also be on the City Plaza venue where live bands and other entertainment will be showcased.

The day will climax at 6:00 p.m. when roughly five tons of tomatoes will spill onto the City Plaza and thousands will scramble to pick up their ammunition for the biggest food fight the city of Reno, the state of the Nevada, and quite possibly the United States has ever seen.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Jerry

Damn, that just sounds Wild. and well, downright Dirty.

No promises, but we'll see as next week develops...

I could see the weather report now...
Cloudy with a heavy Chance of Tomatoes...

:D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Liquid

Wow, that sounds pretty crazy. I've seen videos of other countries doing this. Looks like tons of fun and a HUGE mess, lol.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

BrightHeart76

LOL.  Yes, it should be a HUGE mess.  That's most of the fun.  Well that and getting to pelt people with tomatoes and not getting into trouble that is.   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Jerry

Hmm. still looking over my random calendar and still not sure if I'm able to make it.

I'll keep you posted, but is anyone else down for a random road trip to Reno? :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

BrightHeart76

Other benefits to Reno:

Some good arcades
Awesome buffets (Be warned the really good one costs about $20 or more...but it is totally worth it)
Truckee River, if you're into innertube rafting you can rent innertubes to play on the river
Gambling (for those over 21 who like to risk their money)
This takes place during the State Fair.  Warning our State Fair is about the same size as most county fairs.
You might get to see some of the early "Burners" going thru town on their way to Burning Man (it officially starts on August 31st)
Circus Circus has live circus acts once every hour.  Sometimes it's acrobats....sometimes it's dancing dogs.  You never know
Umm...lets see...Tom Jones will be here on the 29th...if you really wanna listen to a 69 year old sing "What's New Pussycat"
Marilyn Manson also has a show the same night.

yeah...there's a lot to do and I'd love to have some friendly people come on up and enjoy the town for a day or two. 

david

Oh man I've been wanting to go to this for so long.  Saw a video of it a few years ago and it looks insane.  Too bad it's allll the way in Reno.

BrightHeart76

This just in....they will have 50,000 pounds of tomatoes....that's a lot of spagetti sauce people.

BrightHeart76

sweetchorizo

Damn I wont be there till like early Wednesday and then it's straight to burningman.

BrightHeart76

No worries.  None of my local friends went either.  I decided I'd just enjoy a nice relaxing day instead. 

Enjoy Burning Man.  So far the weather looks pretty mild for you guys.  Mid to high 80's, not a lot of wind.