Tabletop Gaming Panel?

Started by azor12, August 29, 2009, 10:41:41 PM

azor12

havok on the forums was the first to suggest this idea and I do agree with him. Not many people know about tabletop roleplaying games. I mean people know the cult references to Dungeons and Dragons, but what about games like Maid, Hackmaster, Kobold Ate My Baby, etc... I think a panel designed to explaing what Tabletop RPGs are and the fun they bring to the table is in order. Thanks to havok we can already have a title. "Tabletop RPGs: That's How I Roll." What about you fanime forum, what do you think?

havok rt

Well I for one think its a fan-f***ing-tastic idea a HUZZAH for whoever thought it up.  8) Assuming we can do this panel I'd like it to be a a basic intro to table top that will hopeful connect to some workshops/sign for random games over in the gaming hall. 
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Yes I remember Havok mentioning this at Ultimate Gaming Night...
I think it is a great idea. I'd especially love to be apart of it, but that is not up to me. Tabletop RPGs seem to be underrepresented at Fanime in my opinion. All I see in the gaming hall is Warhammer or other War Games. A panel like this could help to increase the representation of the TTRPG fan base at Fanime.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

azor12

Im not sure. But im still part of the camp saying we need one!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well if anyone is down to organize it, I will be willing to help.
Been thinking about doing SOMETHING for Fanime this year.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

deonchan

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 10, 2009, 10:55:43 PM
Well if anyone is down to organize it, I will be willing to help.
Been thinking about doing SOMETHING for Fanime this year.

Wow ironic that I ran into this.

A buddy of mine (RPGA/Wizards DnD Judge) wants to run a DnD panel and games for F-Su night of Fanime. He actually has it all planned out but just needs the vehicle to do it. I emailed and pm'ed Rena about it but haven't gotten a reply yet.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

azor12

Woot! Love to see the RPG love. If theres anything I can do to help deonchan, please dont hesistate to ask.

MikoChika

This is an awesome idea!!! I'd so go to this panel at Fanime2010.
My friends know of chat rp. but none fo them know about real tabletop rpgs, othere then D&D. it would be awesome to educate them in our world. lol.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Most of my RPing is by PbP (Play by Post) Games. It is coming onto 2 years soon...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

azor12

Ya, Tabletop RPGs often are given the look over but never fully explained. So much fun can be had from these simple games and yet many people never get to. When i ran D&D at Fanime this year there were at least 10-12 new people who were curious to play. Its time we gamers bring these people into our light!

havok rt

Sorry folks I've been busy with skool and work. But here hows I plan(planned assuming somebody doesn't) to do this(similar) panel. Start off with a brief intro about what the panel will entail. Followed by these major points:
-a brief history of table top gaming
-what is needed to run a table top RPG (Dice, books, people etc etc.)and where you can find said things. 
-Proper table etiquette.
-their a game for every one: discussing various table top RPGs(and LARP for cosplayers)
-game sign ups/share info/dial a DM
-tools to help run a game smoothly
-give out some swag/awesome stories time permeating
Obviously no can't do this alone. So I assuming azor12, TC, and I are set to be apart of the panel and volunteers to help run it are welcome. I'm e-mailing about about this now (along with another panel I want to do).
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

azor12

Woot! As soon as were confirmed Havok, we need to start planning

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

jagsthepandaman

Hi Folks,

Deon-Chan was referring to me when he made his post. Now I've been discussing the idea with him and so here's the pitch.

First of all a few RPGA veterans and I are designing a world specifically to be first played at Fanime should we gather the interest. Now, I'll be running D&D specifically 4th edition. The reason I've chosen 4th edition is that the game is much more newbie friendly AND has many MANY anime things in it that make it sort of an anime feel. A sword mage for example (A defender archetype) has the feel of a Bleach character and so on so forth. it' open to discussion, but I envision a D&D game that most new players, especially of the anime fan type could associate with. To that end, I'm working as i said with a few friends to write up and create a world that has the feel of such animes as Record of Lodoss War, Claymore, Berserk and other fantasy genre anime. If you're interested either let Deon-Chan know or me know.

thanks for the consideration!

-Jagsthepandaman

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: jagsthepandaman on November 17, 2009, 07:07:56 PM
Hi Folks,

Deon-Chan was referring to me when he made his post. Now I've been discussing the idea with him and so here's the pitch.

First of all a few RPGA veterans and I are designing a world specifically to be first played at Fanime should we gather the interest. Now, I'll be running D&D specifically 4th edition. The reason I've chosen 4th edition is that the game is much more newbie friendly AND has many MANY anime things in it that make it sort of an anime feel. A sword mage for example (A defender archetype) has the feel of a Bleach character and so on so forth. it' open to discussion, but I envision a D&D game that most new players, especially of the anime fan type could associate with. To that end, I'm working as i said with a few friends to write up and create a world that has the feel of such animes as Record of Lodoss War, Claymore, Berserk and other fantasy genre anime. If you're interested either let Deon-Chan know or me know.

-Jagsthepandaman

Well I am always down to be sure.
But the things is, while I have seen it done, D&D 4e and 3.5 don't fit well as Anime RPGs. The Mechanics just don't translate well into a anime feel. though then it matters how much of an Anime feel you are looking for.
And I wouldnt say 3.5 lacks anything that can be translated into a anime like feel. The Duskblade fits as well as a 4e Swordmage, as would the Psychic Warrior. And then there is that lovely book known as the Book of Nine Swords... Yeah, I'm sure you can tell I prefer 3.5 to 4e. Though I will have to agree that 4e is more newbie friendly with straight forward (I would say lack of varienty) character options.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

deonchan

I think 4e would make for a smoother Panel and game time (I am a unisystem guy myself but that's a different story all together)

IIRC Jag is going to be registering this as a panel and game time (I can't remember how long Panels are) along with signing up for Panel's staff (Paging Rena)

If I wasn't busy running around doing the protect and serve gig, I'd be down to help. I'll def be there to play tho.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

jagsthepandaman

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 17, 2009, 08:44:47 PM
Quote from: jagsthepandaman on November 17, 2009, 07:07:56 PM
Hi Folks,

-Jagsthepandaman

Well I am always down to be sure.
But the things is, while I have seen it done, D&D 4e and 3.5 don't fit well as Anime RPGs. The Mechanics just don't translate well into a anime feel. though then it matters how much of an Anime feel you are looking for.
And I wouldnt say 3.5 lacks anything that can be translated into a anime like feel. The Duskblade fits as well as a 4e Swordmage, as would the Psychic Warrior. And then there is that lovely book known as the Book of Nine Swords... Yeah, I'm sure you can tell I prefer 3.5 to 4e. Though I will have to agree that 4e is more newbie friendly with straight forward (I would say lack of varienty) character options.

D&D 3.5 and 4th both have a uniqueness to them. I would say however that part of the feel to make the game feel like an anime is also in the creation of the world that the players are immersed in. Immersion is part of that which makes the game "feel" right.

azor12

I totallt agree jags. Immersion should be priority. Well what possible ideas could there be for an anime based 4e campaign setting and story? There really is a lot of room to work with. I mean theres the classic group must recover powerful artifacts to bring down the big baddie. or maybe find a powerful ally to help stop evil monsters from destroying all of reality. Jags, you have my full support for this and I would be glad to help in any way possible. Im a huge 4e buff and ran a group at Fanime 2009.

TC X0 Lt 0X

An interesting thing to note:
Record of Lodoss War routes back as a Replay for D&D.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.