Question About the Masquerade for 2010

Started by c_jai, August 31, 2009, 03:29:48 PM

c_jai

QuoteAll costumes must be based on Asian film, such as characters from Battle Royale (Japan) or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (China), Asian animation, such as the Japanese animation Naruto or the Korean animation Wonderful Days, Asian comics, such as the Japanese Card Captor Sakura, Korean Model, or Chinese Story of the Tao, Asian-origin video game, such as Final Fantasy  or Ragnarok Online, or Asian music stars (such as Malice Mizer or Morning Musume). Also acceptable is Asian-inspired anime, such as Avatar. The rule of thumb is: if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than the Pacific, it doesn't qualify. If you aren't sure, ask.

Me and my friends are planning a skit we want to try and do for the masquerade next year. For the rule stated above, is this just for costumes that would be judged? Right now, our skit is about people planning a skit. Do they have to be characters, or can they just be out-of-costume "cosplayers"? Our skit would have a number of character, in-character-and-costume character, throughout, even if our main characters are not part of them. It'd be really nice to have this straight as soon as possible so we know whether we need to prepare costumes. Also, if we have to have all people in "cosplay" do they have to be the character they're portraying, or can they be "out-of-character"?

Frantic

I've always thought the Masquerade was meant to judge skits and not costumes, but if this rule is correct.../shrug
My friends and I are focusing more on acting than costumes, but I digress. :c

Being a total newbie to this thing, I suggest you wait until someone who can actually knows what they're talking about comes along and answers your question ;;

Out of curiosity, though, what kind of skit are you planning? :>

c_jai

We're looking at taking the song "You Won't Succeed On Broadway" from Spamalot, and changing the lyrics so that it's "You Won't Succeed in a Masquerade (If You Don't Have Any Yaoi)."

angeljibrille

Uh ... as long as the majority of people in your skit are in costume and in character, I don't care...?

We have had people acting in the past as "fanboy" or "stage ninja" or "regular con guy" in a skit, we've always approved of that. However, it has to be related to an anime skit.

An example one year was the chicks from Tenjo Tenge dancing "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" around a "regular anime con guy". That was fine; if it's similar, then you're good.

c_jai

So... if we have two or three people "out-of-cosplay" of maybe six or more paricipants, is that good? Or should we make them all cosplayers in costume, but not character? Or... should we try to find any anime that could fit and everyone is in character? This will just be last chance to do a skit with them, and I really want to make sure we won't get rejected for something like that after putting in so much work. The skit plot is definatly appropriate for an anime convention audience, we're just trying to figure out if costumes are mandatory for all members. I can post our script so far if that will help.