Masquerade Info for 2010 - FINAL UPDATE 5/26/10 *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM

angeljibrille

Quote from: Beastcub on March 19, 2010, 02:49:19 PM
are there any prizes? wondercon has a $500 cash prize and now i am wondering if i should skip fanime's masquerade and do the one at wondercon. the costume i plan to enter is a lot of work to wear and my younger sister is the one stuck in it and i know the cahnce at getting prize money would make her feel better about me "torturing" her XD

Plenty of prizes, but no true cash prizes. We do have trophies and usually CosWorx donates gift certificates... Also, TokyoPop is sponsoring the Masquerade this year and will be donating items.

angeljibrille

Quote from: gwhsanimeclub on March 23, 2010, 12:35:09 AM
i know there's the 2min 30sec time limit, but how long do we have to set up our stuff and remove it afterwords? also, is it ok to have it like 2min 35sec? or does it have to be exactly under 2min30sec? cause my group's skit... we kind of are struggling to fit it under 2min and 40sec :(

You have 30 seconds additional (total) for setup and taking down large props. But, yes, due to flagrant abuse of the timeframe last year, we are having to tamp down this year on time. Your skit needs to be 2 minutes 30 seconds or we will cut it, but you do have the extra 30 seconds padding upon request (and proven need).

angeljibrille

Quote from: lunarknight on March 24, 2010, 03:02:59 AM
I was wondering if chairs,tables, and cloths were going to be provided for us or do we have to bring it ourselves.

We generally have chairs; the rest you need to bring yourself.

angeljibrille

Thanks Shark for the good advice for participants :D

Dany

OK...as it looks right now Masquerade registration will be going on pretty soon....in about...a little over 24 hours I believe?

Can anyone tell me what they commonly ask for when you sign up, so I can be prepared to provide the info?

I know what we're doing, who and how many will be involved, and our general skit idea. I even have reference and progress photos. The only thing I don't have is how long the skit will be (mostly because we're still in the very early planning stages of that part).
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

angeljibrille

Quote from: Dany on March 31, 2010, 02:01:39 PM
OK...as it looks right now Masquerade registration will be going on pretty soon....in about...a little over 24 hours I believe?

Can anyone tell me what they commonly ask for when you sign up, so I can be prepared to provide the info?

I know what we're doing, who and how many will be involved, and our general skit idea. I even have reference and progress photos. The only thing I don't have is how long the skit will be (mostly because we're still in the very early planning stages of that part).

I ask for all the standard contact info, and this:
A summary of your skit. Please include the anime or game your characters are from as well as what type of performance you will be doing. This should be at least 2-3 sentences and include how long you think your skit will be. If this field is empty, we will NOT approve your entry. You WILL be able to update your skit, but we will be keeping track of this field. Thanks for your help.

After you register for an account, you authenticate it, and you go back in and add:
1. People in your skit (and what characters and series they are from)
2. Judging Requests
3. Lighting Requests
4. Music Requests
5. Special Needs (large props, etc.)

HOWEVER, the initial Registration (with the paragraph) ensures you have a reserved spot (that's when the timestamp happens).

Thanks!
Marisa

wolfdaemon

For the 2-3 sentence summary, is it a general summary of the skit or is it the introductory summary that the MC reads beforehand?  And my other question is, do all members of the group have to register at the same time, or can the spot be reserved by just one person from the group?

effembee

Alright, so I'm a little confused.

Masquerade registration was suppose to open up...20 minutes ago, from what I understand. Am I missing something? Where is the link?

wolfdaemon

*message below*

wolfdaemon

Quote from: effembee on April 01, 2010, 11:22:20 PM
Alright, so I'm a little confused.

Masquerade registration was suppose to open up...20 minutes ago, from what I understand. Am I missing something? Where is the link?

It opens at 11:59 which is in 35-ish minutes Pacific Time

effembee

wolfdaemon

Vensy

Is registration up yet? O.o

Ah, it's probably the same as Artist Alley.. where it'll actually be up at 1am. xD

EDIT: okay I registered. When will we know if we were among the first 50 to register or not? :O
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

angeljibrille

To answer an earlier question: one person from each group registers. Then you go back in after you have your account and add the additional people. You have until May 16 to add your extra people (12 people total)

You view the Registered Groups on this page:
http://anime-online.com/fanime_cosplay/list.php

I'll be approving groups tomorrow :)

Thanks everyone!
Marisa

xell

T____T one step late.  seems that I'd be on the waiting list.  I didn''t know the list would be filled so fast. Orz
what's the chance of us actually getting opportunity to perform? do people drop out at all?

angeljibrille

Quote from: xell on April 02, 2010, 11:26:45 PM
T____T one step late.  seems that I'd be on the waiting list.  I didn''t know the list would be filled so fast. Orz
what's the chance of us actually getting opportunity to perform? do people drop out at all?

We lose at least 10 groups from the main list every single year...  Usually more than that. If you're in the first 15 in the waiting list, you have an extremely good chance :)

Thanks!
Marisa

xell

THANK GOD!! AND THANK YOU!! I was so afraid that we did all the planning for nothing. cus I was the one who organized eveyrhting. I wouldn't be able to face them if the whole thinkg failed on my part.
I'm really glad to hear that we'd be ok.

CroutonicSarcasm

Hi. :]

I plan on entering a costume for craftsmanship, but I don't quite understand something. It said I use the same name and such as from the Masquerade, but I don't have the ability to do a skit due to the fact that my friends who were to do it with me may not be able to come. So, I was wondering, how does craftsmanship registration work? Do I have to be in a skit to try and enter my costume, because if so, I won't be able to.

Also, regarding the costume itself-- I had a little bit of help making it. I'm eighteen, but I still had my mother help me (^-^;; Nothing mothers can't do, eh?) by telling me how to do it, but I did the actual sewing and such by myself. Does that still count as made by me? I don't want to get disqualified for not knowing... >__>;

Thank you, whoever chooses to help me out. I appreciate it.
Friday: Secret Cosplay
Saturday: Freud -- Afterschool Charisma
Sunday: Prussia -- Hetalia

xell

How much lighting support will we get?  Is spotlights possible to do? different colors of light? dimming? blackout? 

Dany

Quote from: CroutonicSarcasm on April 04, 2010, 05:10:20 PM
Also, regarding the costume itself-- I had a little bit of help making it. I'm eighteen, but I still had my mother help me (^-^;; Nothing mothers can't do, eh?) by telling me how to do it, but I did the actual sewing and such by myself. Does that still count as made by me? I don't want to get disqualified for not knowing... >__>;

Thank you, whoever chooses to help me out. I appreciate it.

Assuming I am reading correctly, it seems fine to me. Your mom was a resource and told you what you needed to do, but as long as you did the actual work itself, it still counts as made by you. You may have been told how it was to be done, but it was up to you to interpret those instructions and execute them.

Many people go on line to find out how to do something, others follow tutorials in books, or go to friends or family who may have creative knowledge (the aunt who quilts, etc). You went to Mom..that's not horribly different, I'd think :).  Essentially, it's still you that did the work to take that advice and make it into a garment :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon