Masquerade Info for 2010 - FINAL UPDATE 5/26/10 *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM

CroutonicSarcasm

Quote from: Dany on April 05, 2010, 09:40:04 AM

Assuming I am reading correctly, it seems fine to me. Your mom was a resource and told you what you needed to do, but as long as you did the actual work itself, it still counts as made by you. You may have been told how it was to be done, but it was up to you to interpret those instructions and execute them.

Many people go on line to find out how to do something, others follow tutorials in books, or go to friends or family who may have creative knowledge (the aunt who quilts, etc). You went to Mom..that's not horribly different, I'd think :).  Essentially, it's still you that did the work to take that advice and make it into a garment :)

Yeah. =] Thank you for that.
Friday: Secret Cosplay
Saturday: Freud -- Afterschool Charisma
Sunday: Prussia -- Hetalia

mutive

Quote from: CroutonicSarcasm on April 04, 2010, 05:10:20 PM
Hi. :]
Do I have to be in a skit to try and enter my costume, because if so, I won't be able to.

Also, regarding the costume itself-- I had a little bit of help making it. I'm eighteen, but I still had my mother help me (^-^;; Nothing mothers can't do, eh?) by telling me how to do it, but I did the actual sewing and such by myself. Does that still count as made by me? I don't want to get disqualified for not knowing... >__>;

You can enter craftsmanship as a walk-on. No need to do a skit unless you want to do one.  (Although without a skit, you're unlikely to win for performance, and it probably does lower the chances of a grand prize.)

If you received help on the costume, it can still qualify for craftsmanship, but please, please, please let the judges know what you did and did not do on your own.  It is highly probable that if you present a costume that you did not entirely make and therefore can't explain how you made certain parts to the judges that they will assume that it was entirely bought (and therefore not eligible for craftsmanship) if you don't  let them know that the reason, for instance, that you can't explain how the tunic was made was that your Mom made it.  Parts of the costume made entirely by people not in the group, I believe, are not eligible for craftsmanship judging, but you can be judged on the parts that you did make.

CroutonicSarcasm

Quote from: mutive on April 06, 2010, 10:46:45 AM

You can enter craftsmanship as a walk-on. No need to do a skit unless you want to do one.  (Although without a skit, you're unlikely to win for performance, and it probably does lower the chances of a grand prize.)

If you received help on the costume, it can still qualify for craftsmanship, but please, please, please let the judges know what you did and did not do on your own.  It is highly probable that if you present a costume that you did not entirely make and therefore can't explain how you made certain parts to the judges that they will assume that it was entirely bought (and therefore not eligible for craftsmanship) if you don't  let them know that the reason, for instance, that you can't explain how the tunic was made was that your Mom made it.  Parts of the costume made entirely by people not in the group, I believe, are not eligible for craftsmanship judging, but you can be judged on the parts that you did make.

Okay. Thank you, I appreciate it. :3
Friday: Secret Cosplay
Saturday: Freud -- Afterschool Charisma
Sunday: Prussia -- Hetalia

wolfdaemon

Sooooo........... when are these entries going to be reviewed...?  XDDD

Vensy

Quote from: wolfdaemon on April 08, 2010, 11:24:44 PM
Sooooo........... when are these entries going to be reviewed...?  XDDD

I was wondering the same thing. T-T'' My group needs to buy wigs, but they want to wait to see if we get approved. ^_^''
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

angeljibrille

Teca

Are we allowed to have roller-blades or roller-skates on stage?

angeljibrille

Quote from: Teca on April 10, 2010, 04:35:38 PM
Are we allowed to have roller-blades or roller-skates on stage?

Should be fine. :) Just make sure the wheels are not going to scratch the stage. We've had skateboards before though, so I don't see how this is a problem.

angeljibrille

GROUP APPROVALS DONE

Please check here:
http://anime-online.com/fanime_cosplay/list.php

If you have a "PROBLEM" next to your group, you have a couple of weeks to fix it, then I'm going to bump you out.

So far it looks like everyone on the waiting list has a very (very) good chance of getting in, so I would prepare your skits and everything as needed.

People who are asking for over 2.5 minutes -- we aren't going to approve it. I'm sorry. We are on a very strict timeline this year. I will only approve it if it's setup time; music/performance will be cut off at 2 minutes 30 seconds.

People who applied with costumes that don't work (Disney, etc.) within our framework, you can talk to Stage Zero.

Many thanks!
Marisa

Vensy

Thank you!

If we need extra time to set up (making us go over the 2 minute 30 second mark) do we email you directly or just include it in our registration thing?
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

angeljibrille

Quote from: Vensy on April 12, 2010, 11:56:43 AM
Thank you!

If we need extra time to set up (making us go over the 2 minute 30 second mark) do we email you directly or just include it in our registration thing?

If you could do both, that would be fantastic. Thanks!

Beastcub

i see mine was apporved but i had a few questions in my entry, was the entry the right place to ask questions and thus they will be answered later on or do i need to contact some one directly about my concerns? my concerns were i was planning to have some one sew part of my costume for me to save me some time, and the costume i made for my sister is huge, hard to move in and very hot.

openhappy

What is the exact date and time for Masquerade this year? I assume it is at San Jose Convention Center (SJCC) Room F this year.

Thanks,
- Richard.

Dany

Quote from: Beastcub on April 15, 2010, 12:52:52 AM
i see mine was apporved but i had a few questions in my entry, was the entry the right place to ask questions and thus they will be answered later on or do i need to contact some one directly about my concerns? my concerns were i was planning to have some one sew part of my costume for me to save me some time, and the costume i made for my sister is huge, hard to move in and very hot.

You're allowed a handler, so you should be OK there. What you might want to do is let them know how long you need to get suited up so they know how many entries ahead of time they need to pull you from the seating.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

wolfdaemon

Do we need to upload our own audio by may 16 or do we just bring it with us?

mlarad

I have a question?

How is chosen the place you will be in the masquerade?

Is it by how do you sign in, random, by request or any other way?

angeljibrille

Quote from: CroutonicSarcasm on April 04, 2010, 05:10:20 PM
Hi. :]

I plan on entering a costume for craftsmanship, but I don't quite understand something. It said I use the same name and such as from the Masquerade, but I don't have the ability to do a skit due to the fact that my friends who were to do it with me may not be able to come. So, I was wondering, how does craftsmanship registration work? Do I have to be in a skit to try and enter my costume, because if so, I won't be able to.

Also, regarding the costume itself-- I had a little bit of help making it. I'm eighteen, but I still had my mother help me (^-^;; Nothing mothers can't do, eh?) by telling me how to do it, but I did the actual sewing and such by myself. Does that still count as made by me? I don't want to get disqualified for not knowing... >__>;

Thank you, whoever chooses to help me out. I appreciate it.

As far as "my mom helped me" costumes, those are perfectly fine. The advice earlier about saying who helped you is the best advice. Also, people who are in a group and one person in the group made the costumes -- just state that (that can actually net the person who did it a Design Award).

========================

This isn't just directed at you, this is directed at everyone who keeps sending me questions about "what's allowed" (sorry if I'm a bit frazzled on this subject *sorry*):

****USE COMMON SENSE***

I keep trying to tell people this (but no one listens cry Q___Q) our rules are to prevent the people who order their entire costume from some place in China off of eBay tailored to them for $99.00 and then pretend they made it themselves. Also, those who buy a costume from a friend/seamstress/etc. and try to pass it off as their own. We want SOME creativity put in here. You don't have to have made it top-to-bottom from scratch, just put in SOME effort of some sort (like going to the store to find the different pieces of your costume). Do I care that you got your Vampire Knight locket from eBay? Of course not! :)  Do I care if you went and bought your entire costume from "Jan's Cosplay Shoppe"? Yes we do -- that's prohibited.

If you are doing a skit, we honestly don't care if only a tiny fraction of creativity went into your costume as long as something was attempted. If you are participating in Craftsmanship judging, the judges are obviously more particular. But then I get questions like "Zomg I didn't make my shoes, wig, etc." ... don't make this too hard!

We don't care if you bought a wig (goodness no one expects you to make a wig, that's crazy) or shoes (what are you going to do, kill a cow, skin it, tan it, etc? >.< ?) or hand-making your accessories when you can just buy them from Bob's Crazy Anime Store.

Now, if you ARE doing Craftmanship judging and you, say, style your wig to look like a character, or customize your shoes to look like a character's shoes, or, yeah, the crazy (and talented!) people who die-cast their own weapons and props... then you get BONUS points. We aren't going to require that you do these things, but the judges will give you kudos and probably extra nudges towards a possible win if you do.

This is officially the LAST time I'm going to answer questions in this vein for 2010. Please stop making it so hard :) just follow the golden rule which is "don't buy a pre-made costume from someone" and you're good.

Thanks!

angeljibrille

Quote from: xell on April 04, 2010, 10:41:56 PM
How much lighting support will we get?  Is spotlights possible to do? different colors of light? dimming? blackout? 

Extremely limited options. Generally it's fade in, fade out, lights up, completely black. No spotlight. Sometimes we have colors, but it's not guaranteed.

angeljibrille

Quote from: Beastcub on April 15, 2010, 12:52:52 AM

Put this in the special needs section of your entry and if you need a response, e-mail me at [email protected] as well.

Thanks!