Masquerade Info for 2010 - FINAL UPDATE 5/26/10 *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, September 20, 2009, 12:30:26 AM

angeljibrille

Quote from: openhappy on April 15, 2010, 11:26:16 AM
What is the exact date and time for Masquerade this year? I assume it is at San Jose Convention Center (SJCC) Room F this year.

Thanks,
- Richard.

Masquerade Registration is at SJCC Room F on Friday and Saturday.

The actual event itself starts at 6:30pm on Saturday, May 29, 2010 at the San Jose Civic Auditorium.

http://www.sanjose.org/meetings/facilities/civic_aud.php

angeljibrille

Quote from: wolfdaemon on April 18, 2010, 11:38:40 AM
Do we need to upload our own audio by may 16 or do we just bring it with us?

Please bring it with you for when you check in at SJCC F at the Convention.

angeljibrille

Quote from: mlarad on April 23, 2010, 07:29:59 AM
I have a question?

How is chosen the place you will be in the masquerade?

Is it by how do you sign in, random, by request or any other way?

It goes:
Large Costumes (like really large -- impossible to move in)
Kids ('cause they get tired if they have to wait forever -- this is if a group has someone under the age of 14 in it)
Everyone else

"Everyone else" is first-come, first-served as far as numbers go. Usually the first 10 groups are reserved for the special large costumes and kid entries, so you can get 11 - 50 depending on when you check in (and yes, you can request a specific number if it is available).

Teca

If we have stage ninjas, when and where should we notify you of those? Should we just bring them with us to the check-in? I know we are only allowed two.

Aishasama

http://community.livejournal.com/wcs_teamusa09/9672.html
"Just a heads up - I'm copypasting this from Elizabeth's LJ, so everyone knows what's happening!

'Hey everybody! Long time no post. They lost my luggage with all my costumes, I'm jet-lagged out the ears, and this Internet connection is slow as hell, but I wanted to drop in because I was talking to Ed this morning and they *just* inked the deal for the World Cosplay Summit US preliminaries to be held at Fanime in San Jose! Hooray! Good luck everybody. - Elizabeth'"

Is this true? If so, is it going to be a part of the masq, or a separate event? All the Masq groups are already determined and totally unprepared for this announcement. When did the staff plan on letting the groups know about this?

hashimoto

Quote from: Aishasama on April 29, 2010, 08:29:33 AM
http://community.livejournal.com/wcs_teamusa09/9672.html
"Just a heads up - I'm copypasting this from Elizabeth's LJ, so everyone knows what's happening!

'Hey everybody! Long time no post. They lost my luggage with all my costumes, I'm jet-lagged out the ears, and this Internet connection is slow as hell, but I wanted to drop in because I was talking to Ed this morning and they *just* inked the deal for the World Cosplay Summit US preliminaries to be held at Fanime in San Jose! Hooray! Good luck everybody. - Elizabeth'"

Is this true? If so, is it going to be a part of the masq, or a separate event? All the Masq groups are already determined and totally unprepared for this announcement. When did the staff plan on letting the groups know about this?

Ah, you beat me to it. I was going to try to confirm this as well. I'm not sure how this will work out. If it was going to host WCS, I want to participate, but my group already has 6 people.

mlarad

Most likely they'll do it like the first year at the NYAF only the groups that qualify (2 - 3 people) will be able to participate for the WCS.

Honestly don't know why Fanime is accepting this with so little time. There is only a month left and is not fair for people who would have like to participate and didn't register because this was not known

hashimoto

Quote from: mlarad on April 29, 2010, 10:32:37 AM
Most likely they'll do it like the first year at the NYAF only the groups that qualify (2 - 3 people) will be able to participate for the WCS.

Honestly don't know why Fanime is accepting this with so little time. There is only a month left and is not fair for people who would have like to participate and didn't register because this was not known

Only way I can see it working is if they push it for next year. I doubt there are many entrants that have the required 2 people only rule (according to WCS rules and regulations). If they do host it this year, I do not see it being a part of the Masquerade, and rather a separate event on its own. As the poster above noted, there is only 1 month left to the con and all Masquerade entrants have already been accepted and determined. To have it part of Masq, I'm sure people will dissolve groups. But even that would prove faulty since its too late to register for Masq.

Dany

Marisa (the masquerade director) stated a little while back that WCS would not be involved. However, I guess some things may have changed?

Hopefully she can confirm one way or the other. With all due respect, until she confirms it, I consider it heresay.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

angeljibrille

Quote from: Teca on April 26, 2010, 10:11:46 AM
If we have stage ninjas, when and where should we notify you of those? Should we just bring them with us to the check-in? I know we are only allowed two.

Yep, and please put in your Special Needs box in your reg form that you are bringing them. Thanks! :)

angeljibrille

This won't affect Cosplay Spectacular (the Masquerade) in any way, it's a completely separate deal and there is absolutely no overlap. We wouldn't be giving out prizes or anything else; this would be held almost as a panel and is not a Fanime-sponsored event other than letting them have panel space. There are no technical services provided for this event; it's just a room with chairs.

I'd actually had several people ask me to bring this event to Fanime, so I was just responding to demand by accepting the panel request despite my initial hesitation due to the negative press a few years back.  I just talked to someone about it yesterday, and there is no finalized information about anything, so that's why there wasn't any sort of annoucement. Also, as it's not a FanimeCon event, we wouldn't announce something like this anyway - it's up to the panel people to provide information on their panel.

I am not running this event either; I just assisted with providing a panel room.  If this manages to go off without causing any issues, we may consider some sort of more formalized event next year. At the moment, however, this is just a test. Thanks!

This has nothing whatsoever to do with FanimeCon's Masquerade / Cosplay Spectacular. Everything is staying just as it was.

I hope that clarifies things!
Marisa
Masquerade Coordinator

Dany

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 29, 2010, 10:57:54 AM

This won't affect Cosplay Spectacular (the Masquerade) in any way, it's a completely separate deal and there is absolutely no overlap. We wouldn't be giving out prizes or anything else; this would be held almost as a panel and is not a Fanime-sponsored event other than letting them have panel space. There are no technical services provided for this event; it's just a room with chairs.

I'd actually had several people ask me to bring this event to Fanime, so I was just responding to demand despite my initial hesitation due to the negative press a few years back.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with FanimeCon's Masquerade / Cosplay Spectacular. Everything is staying just as it was.

Marisa
Masquerade Coordinator

I am guessing that this could affect those who have already entered Masquerade. Some people may decide to opt out of Masquerade, and some people may consider doing both events.  With Craftmanship judging signup tomorrow night, is there any additional data that can be provided so that people can make their decisions sooner than later?

hashimoto

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 29, 2010, 10:57:54 AM

I'd actually had several people ask me to bring this event to Fanime, so I was just responding to demand by accepting the panel request despite my initial hesitation due to the negative press a few years back.  I just talked to someone about it yesterday, and there is no finalized information about anything, so that's why there wasn't any sort of annoucement. Also, as it's not a FanimeCon event, we wouldn't announce something like this anyway - it's up to the panel people to provide information on their panel.

I am not running this event either; I just assisted with providing a panel room.  If this manages to go off without causing any issues, we may consider some sort of more formalized event next year. At the moment, however, this is just a test. Thanks!

Marisa
Masquerade Coordinator

Yes me and one of my Masq partners are wanting to do WCS as well. How can we find out more information about this "panel"? Are we going to have to perform? Is it just Craftsmanship? Fanime is right around the corner and we have a lot of details we need to iron out for this.

angeljibrille

Uh, I really don't have any info as it's not a FanimeCon event.

It will take place on Sunday, so it's after the Masquerade is over. It won't impact the Masquerade at all.

It's a room with no technical setup (no audio), so I am presuming it's a craftsmanship type deal-- but I really don't know.

I've asked the person who coordinated the panel setup to post here:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14007.0.html

Please no more questions on this topic here as it has nada, zip, zilch to do with the Masquerade.  Take it all to the Panel Forums http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14007.0.html

angeljibrille

Quote from: Dany on April 29, 2010, 11:06:16 AMWith Craftmanship judging signup tomorrow night, is there any additional data that can be provided so that people can make their decisions sooner than later?

OH just noticed this! Remember, Craftsmanship judging starts at 11:59pm on May 1st, NOT on April 30th. So signups start on Saturday night.

Dany

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 29, 2010, 12:01:57 PM
Quote from: Dany on April 29, 2010, 11:06:16 AMWith Craftmanship judging signup tomorrow night, is there any additional data that can be provided so that people can make their decisions sooner than later?

OH just noticed this! Remember, Craftsmanship judging starts at 11:59pm on May 1st, NOT on April 30th. So signups start on Saturday night.

HA! My bad. I thought tomorrow was the 1st XD  I've been doing this all week long, I swear....

mlarad

My link does not appear is there something wrong with the system?

wolfdaemon

Dany

UsakoMinako

diddo i think i've tried getting to the page a few routes logged in and out a few times- no go yet