Sell (LED?) Glow Sticks at Fanime!

Started by Meirin, September 21, 2009, 04:06:12 AM

Meirin

I brought up this idea to a good number of my friends that go to Fanime, and they TOTALLY would buy some in a heartbeat. Just about every major event at FanimeCon's experience could be enhanced through glow sticks!

Think about it--Masquerade/MusicFest audiences, raves, random midnight mayhem? Not to mention many vendors sell these wholesale in bulk and can be customized, so FanimeCon's logo could go right on them; another form of convention souvenirs!

I also highly recommend going for LED glow sticks instead of the cheap liquid ones you have to break. For one, LED lights last longer, which are a big plus if you're going to MusicFest to cheer on the special bands/idols on stage.

It would also be really convenient to con-goers, so they don't have to depend on other people to buy glow sticks beforehand, or have to run out to the nearest party store to get the breakable kinds.
Fanimaid Veteran circa 2009

boots01

they also don't run into other issues that the chemical glow-sticks run into like the potential to break open and damage the carpet etc.  imo, not a bad idea.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

M

Quote from: boots01 on September 21, 2009, 03:03:43 PM
they also don't run into other issues that the chemical glow-sticks run into like the potential to break open and damage the carpet etc.  imo, not a bad idea.
We've considered this idea numerous times, but it just comes back to the fact that we don't want to run the risk of damaging property by broken glow-sticks.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

PyronIkari

Quote from: MPLe on October 23, 2009, 02:24:53 PM
they also don't run into other issues that the chemical glow-sticks run into like the potential to break open and damage the carpet etc.  imo, not a bad idea.
We've considered this idea numerous times, but it just comes back to the fact that we don't want to run the risk of damaging property by broken glow-sticks.
Or break one in her eye, Like Kimmietotally did at the MoMu concert at AX... wwwwwwww. I was totally laughing when she walked out of the first aid area and realized it was her.

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: MPLe on October 23, 2009, 02:24:53 PM

I believe the LED glowsticks negate the risks of chemical damage to the property, as they don't have chemicals, since it is basically a small diode that emits the light instead of a chemical reaction.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

apsykes

Also, In Most occasions, L.E.D Glowsticks are Brighter :D
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

Jerry

LED > glow stick   imo.

but i doubt we'll have any vendors that will sell them at fanime, you might have to bring your own if you want to rock or rave out.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

apsykes

But it might be a good way to make profit :3
im 90% sure LED glowsticks will be a hit! Imo.
Think of the money you can save buying a LED Glowstick than a disposable one (in the long run)
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

Meirin

I'd like to push for this idea again. If not for 2010, then for any Fanime after that.
I'm willing to bet these could outsell Fanime t-shirts.

The Duck

If and when my Glowsticking panel gets off the ground, I will be handing some glowsticks out. By that I mean ill be stocking at least 300 of these baby's so if people can't really sell them i'll be a generous dude if and when my panel comes round.

That also includes the approval of them being used...^^
Smile for the sake that your really happy! That way you don't have to waste energy or my time faking it, OK?

abcbadcat

Quote from: The Duck on January 19, 2010, 07:56:57 PM
If and when my Glowsticking panel gets off the ground, I will be handing some glowsticks out. By that I mean ill be stocking at least 300 of these baby's so if people can't really sell them i'll be a generous dude if and when my panel comes round.

That also includes the approval of them being used...^^

:O

I wanna learn to poi!!! :D

The Duck

That my friend deals with fire, which I love, but cannot do since my environment doesn't have the right places to do so^^ But Glowstringing isn't too far off so when the panel comes round you can learn some techniques there to use in your Poi Practice!
Smile for the sake that your really happy! That way you don't have to waste energy or my time faking it, OK?

Mach5Motorsport

hmm ya get those things a twirlin and snap! Ya got yourself another Wii controller nightmare.  :(
Brian Doan "Dieter"

Fanime Cosplay Host 2006
Fanime DerCosplay Coord. 2001-2005
Yaoi Con Cosplay Coord. 2002-2005
JTAF 1 & 2
2003 Anime Expo Cosplay, Art & Charity Host
2002 Project Akon Cosplay Host

abcbadcat

Whenever I attempt to glowstring, I use shoe laces and tie the knot on the glowstick like 6 times and tape it down

Avairrianna

I would so buy a ton of the LED products if they were sold at Fanime!
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Mordyan

Looks like it would sell well again this year as they just announced Momoi is coming again on the Fanime Twitter site.

Meirin

One day some other anime con will start doing this idea and it will sell out like hotcaeks.
I'll be pointing to this thread with this GIF.

ewu

1) posters being jerks pisses off the moderator.....

2) fanime does not really have the logistical setup to sell one specific thing. We also really don't have the time to devote the resources needed to set up such sales. BUT we do a dealers room with lots of people that happen to be logistically set up to sell things.....so, thread moved.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom