Any advice? contact lenses and earrings

Started by AgehaMist, October 01, 2009, 07:48:13 PM

AgehaMist

Alright, I need some help...

the main character I'm cosplaying as has red eyes, and I... have green eyes...

so my questions are: is it worth it to go and buy contacts? are people going to notice if I don't wear them? and where would be a good place to get them?

second, my character also has earrings, and I... don't have pierced ears...

so my question is: where can I get or how can I make some fake earrings?

thank you for your time! hope I can get some good advice!
i came home the other day and found that everything in my house was replaced with exact duplicates

Nina Star 9

For the contacts, it's really up to you. If you aren't comfortable with wearing contacts, then it won't really ruin the cosplay if you don't have them. With a distinctive eye colour like red, they are a little more important than if the character had, say, blue eyes, but if you don't want to go through the trouble of wearing contacts (for whatever personal reasons -- financial constraints, concerned about any complications with contacts, especially as a first-time wearer (I'm assuming?), simply being grossed out by the idea, etc.), then you really don't -have- to if you don't want to. You may not do as well in the Masquerade, and the contacts will certainly look better, especially for photos, but it isn't a necessity.

As for the earrings, you might be able to buy blank clip-on earrings, and if you can't, pick up a cheap pair at a thrift store or another place where you can get them, remove whatever decoration is on the front, and put on whatever decoration you need. If the character has stud earrings or another type of earring that would cover up a larger back, then get the kind that clips on, but if your character has dangle earrings or another type of earring that will not cover up a large back, then get the screw-back kind (which may be harder to find), which has a smaller front.

Good luck! :D

Charis

I've been able to find clip-on blanks at Michael's and my local craft store, and I've also picked them up from FireMountain Gems.  They make them in quite a variety of styles, from larger flat pads to ones that look more like a pierced French Hook.  (For studs, you can try spirit-gumming whatever it is to your ears.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

AgehaMist

Thanks for the info! this really helps a lot :]
i came home the other day and found that everything in my house was replaced with exact duplicates