Making a cosplay that's so good it looks like you bought it?

Started by Azuru, October 05, 2009, 08:23:39 PM

Azuru

Ok, so this question is something that just wouldn't go away. Have anyone of you made a cosplay/costume that looked so good, it looked commissioned? I was curious about that. If you haven't do you have any advice on how to? Because that happens to many people I come across. I'll say " Did you buy that?" or "Did you make that?" It's so hard to tell with all of these cosplayers making such great cosplays! I was curious about the secret to it. So if you know please post it right here! Or just post about cosplay making here!
My cosplay list (still going to be updated)

roth14

Effort and time is the secret. You have to put your heart and soul into the costume. Be prepared to redo one spot over and over until you get it right. Like me and shoulders. I had to resew one costume's shoulder about six time just to get it perfect. And even then I wondered if it could be better. It also helps to have practice. Every time I sew, if I pay enough attention, I learn something. Or I try a new technique out. Its also helpful to just try sew stitches on scraps of cloth. Reference pictures also help. It takes a long time to find one that shows all angles of the character that you need, but it is worth it. For you may miss a small design on the back or something that other people would know about. The mind set is important too. Making a costume shouldn't be a chore. People can tell you were bored becasue of the quality. Just think if I walked out of this room, would people think I was the character and would I be happy with what I made? Hope this all helps.

Rette

Aside from the quality of your work, the quality of your materials is very important as well.  Nice fabric is very expensive, it's true, but its worth every penny. Instead of making a million cheap cosplays, make one really nice costume a year.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Azuru

Thank you guys, I got a lot of great advice from the two of you. It really helps.  ;D
My cosplay list (still going to be updated)

roth14

BSaphire

I wanted to add to the great advice you have gotten that taking time to make the cosplay as wonderful as possible is a big key also.

I have seen the rush to finish job and the little thing was forgotten. The next thing you know they are at con wondering where to find a needle and thread, safety pin, hot glue or duct tape.

It isn't just the clothes, but the accessories and props too. I have cosplays that I would like to do, but until I have all the necessary requirements (and for one that happens to be working with latex and fiberglass) I just gather the stuff I need as I go to do them in the future.

B's Rules of Thumb: (for me)

1. Aim for accuracy and remember to treat is as a piece of clothing and not a costume:
If you look at the Halloween costumes you can buy you will find cheep fabric, simple structure, and most don't look good after you wash them a couple of times.
Cosplays are put through as much rigor (if not more) than your average street clothes. Their construction should equal the durability and strength of everyday attire.

2. No matter how close you are, learn to let go:
I have found that if it isn't done 24 hours before con then things will never be as great as they could be. Paint will be wet, things will happen that postpone working on it that first night, you will have forgotten something that you needed to finish it, etc. If it isn't done then leave it.

A couple of buttons or snaps, glue here or there, or spraying/setting your wig is understandable. Don't bring your sewing machine to con to finish something that should have already been done. Make sure your wig is already set in the curlers and dry before you pack it up for that Saturday morning cosplay. Double check your make up bag and toss in a couple of safety pins (valuable item for any cosplayer :) needle, thread, and a snap or two. Quick fix items are valuable to have when you need them the most.

You're going to con to have fun not stay cooped up in your hotel room finishing something while your friends left and are sure to come back with one of those "You should have been there!" stories you are now not a part of.

3. Any day is a GREAT day to COSPLAY!

Having everything ready to go 24 hrs prior to con means you are less likely to forget things like the camera :P Maybe you can't take your cosplay because the pants aren't finished. So the solution is simple: Any day is a great day to cosplay! Get a group of friends together and hang out at the mall, have a picnic at the park, go see a new movie, or hang out at the game arcade.... just have everyone do it in COSPLAY! People will ask, look, STARE O-o at you and your friends while you are all having a great time.

btw.... The farther away from Halloween the more looks you get *LOL :P

Squidge
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC