The really unofficial "What to teach for the Black & White Ball?" thread

Started by Okach, November 04, 2009, 09:13:33 PM

math4origami

What variation of waltz would you teach? 
I would love more lindy-hoppers.  With good music, it is quite fun. 

Okach

My opinion - standard waltz (int or smooth).  Just a lot easier to jump start and less likely to cause accidents if out of control :P.

Love lindy hop, but I'm pushing WCS :).
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Wabbit98

I am not a big fan of WCS, I believe it should only be for intermmediate lessons since it can be a pain to remember all the correct steps besides adding turns.

I like ECS, Tango, and Cha-Cha.
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

Okach

Let's define it this way then:

Beginner (i.e.  walked off the street)

ECS
Merengue
Waltz
Salsa

Intermediate (i.e. knows at least one social dance)

WCS
Cha-Cha (hey, I had issues doing the chas)

What throws most people off in WCS, I've found, is getting fixated on the footwork to the cost of the connection.  Truthfully, you can replace the triple steps with step step and it would work.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Wabbit98

2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

jchan707

Ok, wait.  So I've never attended the Black & White Ball.  It's strictly ballroom type dances?
cosplay.com username --->  Lady Valentine

OniCourseMusha

I've met few people at the PEERS event and Dickens Fair that are interested in wanting to teach ballroom for the attandees.  I think they are responsible for teaching people how to V Waltz at the event.  I'm sure they know some other type of dance that can help.

Quote from: jchan707 on January 19, 2010, 02:11:36 PM
Ok, wait.  So I've never attended the Black & White Ball.  It's strictly ballroom type dances?
Sort of but not everyone can ballroom dance.  That's why we have dance lessons.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

tkdteo

JChan707 - The Black and White Ball is an event where people can dress up and go dancing.  It is more of a formal setting where most dances will be ballroom dances (Waltz, Tango, Cha Cha, Swing, etc.)  Dance lessons will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday leading up to the event Sunday evening.  There is a dress code for the even that I will be posting sometime in February.  Overall it is a fun event and we had many attendees last year.  The music played there includes a mix of anime, videogame, jpop, and ballroom music.  I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

jchan707

Quote from: tkdteo on January 20, 2010, 09:46:14 AM
JChan707 - The Black and White Ball is an event where people can dress up and go dancing.  It is more of a formal setting where most dances will be ballroom dances (Waltz, Tango, Cha Cha, Swing, etc.)  Dance lessons will be held on Friday, Saturday and Sunday leading up to the event Sunday evening.  There is a dress code for the even that I will be posting sometime in February.  Overall it is a fun event and we had many attendees last year.  The music played there includes a mix of anime, videogame, jpop, and ballroom music.  I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2010

Thanks, it does help.  And to think I suggested Lady Gaga for the music LMFAO  >_<
cosplay.com username --->  Lady Valentine

OniCourseMusha

Sorry if I confuse the type of V Waltz I would like to help people learn at the Dance lesson.  The V Waltz I was taught thanx to the people who was at the fanime meeting, was Vintage style V Waltz and I heard that style is the most simple version one that was taught when I was at Dickens Fair and the PEERS event.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

AngelWings

Hi not sure if I'm posting in the right section. If you require additional help for teaching.. most of those dances I have some experience with them and would be willing to help out. Though unfortunately I won't be attending the B&W Ball.