Ed from FMA's arm for 2010 on a student budgest

Started by Yura Kyo Aures, November 08, 2009, 03:10:40 AM

Yura Kyo Aures

Hi all, I want to make Ed Elric's arm for my cosplay for Fanime 2010.

Only problem is I'm currently on a student budget and am currently broke.  :-[

I managed to make an arm for J-Culturecon 2009 (Convention in Derby, UK) out of silder cardboard, a long glove from a costume shop and a lot of silver spray paint, but that was only because I had two days; and although it looked pretty good for a student budget arm, it was as uncomfortable as hell.  :-\

I wondered if I should just invest in getting a huge sheet of wonderflex and working from that or making it out of thin foam and spray painting it silver?

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions? I'd be really greatful if anyone did.

roth14

Be careful with the foam. Sometimes when you spray paint it it shrinks becasue it got wet. Just a little warning to research each brand before before buying some.

Rodney_Pheonix

Some foams, because of chemicals in the spray paint will effectively melt and become goopy.

That's mostly stuff that's related to styrofoam, however I ran into a couple off brand craft foams that did this to me as well so be careful about that too.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Yura Kyo Aures

Would I be better off just saving up and investing in that wonderflex stuff instead then?

Rodney_Pheonix

I dunno anything about wonderflex so I'm no help in that department sorry.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Kites-kun

Why not try to make a automail out of either fiberglass or craft foam with silver vinyl.

Avairrianna

My friend has the most awesome arm I've ever seen and it's really cheap and easy to make!

Buy a silver pair of long prom gloves and with black sharpie put in the design. It might now sound all too great but if you have kinda an artsy talent or know someone with art talent it looks REALLY good!

Cardboard and metal versions seem so clunky and disproportionate to Ed body and this technique keeps it really life-like.
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe