Gold lines on a costume (How?)

Started by edendreams, November 09, 2009, 08:50:24 AM

edendreams

I'm planning to cosplay Beatrice from Umineko and I have one BIG Problem... The gold lines...

I would prefer using ribbon but it would be very expensive and not the right color.

I have heard of painting it and i know i can mimic the pattern with freezer paper but I'm worried this will stiffen the fabric too much

So has anyone put gold lines on their cosplay and if so How?

I know some sakura cosplayers did a beautiful job creating their gold lines... i really want to know what you used..

Thanks for any help

a little art by me ^-^

G.I.R

What about embroidering wih a gold metelic thread?

Charis

Depending on what kind of paint you use, it may not leave much of a 'hand' on the fabric.  Lumiere paints, for example, don't take too much to put down on light coloured fabrics, and probably wouldn't affect it very much.  It also depends on where you're putting the lines; if they're at seam points, they may not affect the fabric that much.

One other thing you can consider is making bias tape out of fabric and stitching that down instead of ribbon.  It can be a serious pain in the ass to make, but I got over thirty yards of 1" bias tape out of about three yards of 45" fabric (with leftovers), so it's not necessarily that bad.  I don't know anything about how the character looks, so this is just throwing out some general ideas.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Runewitt

Is this the costume? Beatrice Dress i'd suggest trying to find fabric the right color and cutting it into thin strips and stitching that onto the outside of the dress to make the design.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

edendreams

Quote from: Runewitt on November 09, 2009, 01:52:38 PM
Is this the costume? Beatrice Dress i'd suggest trying to find fabric the right color and cutting it into thin strips and stitching that onto the outside of the dress to make the design.
Yup that's the dress

I haven't heard of bias tape before but i'll definitly look it up I would prefer sewing  but i'm just happy to get any suggestions

a little art by me ^-^

BunofGovt

Bias tape is actually fabric, not tape, cut on the 'bias' or I think the diagonal, and in strips, so that there's a bit of stretch and you can sew (or fabric glue) it on as a trim, or edging to your outfit.  It comes either folded in half, or with a double-fold to make it easier to apply to an edge.

I've seen it in gold-ish material.  You can find it at a fabric store like JoAnn's, just ask one of the clerks where it is (usually near threads and zippers).
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Charis

Quote from: BunofGovt on November 10, 2009, 11:24:08 PM
I've seen it in gold-ish material.  You can find it at a fabric store like JoAnn's, just ask one of the clerks where it is (usually near threads and zippers).

There's that, or how to make your own without fancy widgets. :D
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

BunofGovt

OMG bless you for the link, Charis!  I have that 'widget' in two sizes and could not figure them out and then misplaced them.  Now I can do without!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.