question about roller skates...

Started by AgehaMist, November 13, 2009, 03:38:33 PM

AgehaMist

Hi, I'm planning to do an Air Gear cosplay, and my question is...

Is it against the rules to wear roller skates in the con?

thanks!
i came home the other day and found that everything in my house was replaced with exact duplicates

ewu

yes it is, no wheels on the concourse
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kuromi_Kat

suggestion, if you can, and they have laces, tie them together! and pop them over your shoulder.

BrightHeart76

It strikes me that this question comes up every year.  I was not aware that there were so many anime characters who wear roller skates.  I think I'm missing an entire genre of roller skating anime.  I feel left out.   :'(

I like the idea of skates over your shoulder.  I don't know how that fits with the rules, you can always check with the powers that be.  Might want to check with Rovers too, make sure you don't need to have them peace bonded or anything to keep with fanime's prop policies. 

Good Luck!   :D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Jerry

In short, skate shoes, roller skates, razor scooters, or wheeled units such as bikes are not allowed in the concourse/main areas of the Convention center.

its a safety, city code thing. Sorry we cant bend/break the rules for you.

HOWEVER~  what you do outside of the Convention Center Space- " is at your own risk " - Such as the outside gathering areas like the fountains or outside the hotel areas.

That plus I dont think you'd wanna hang onto roller skates or sling them over your shoulder/back... something tells me they get heavy if you decide to carry them the entire weekend.

Just like any cosplayer, be weary of your surroundings and keep an eye out for yourself and you fellow con members around you. Have fun in a safe and sane manner.

Kthanks. :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

AgehaMist

thanks for all the info guys!

and I might try the over the shoulder thing, seems like a good idea... but then again I'm cosplaying as Agito from Air Gear, and he has a straight jacket x_x
i came home the other day and found that everything in my house was replaced with exact duplicates

Nina Star 9

Last year, I cosplayed from Jet Set Radio, and I modified a pair of boots with craft foam and paint to look like my character's skates. You can try the same idea, even if the character has plain-looking skates instead of really distincitve ones, since it adds more accuracy to the costume within putting yourself/others/property in danger.

I can post pics of my "skates," if you like.

AgehaMist

Yes, I'd like to see the picture please :]

abcbadcat

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on November 21, 2009, 01:00:34 PM
Last year, I cosplayed from Jet Set Radio, and I modified a pair of boots with craft foam and paint to look like my character's skates. You can try the same idea, even if the character has plain-looking skates instead of really distincitve ones, since it adds more accuracy to the costume within putting yourself/others/property in danger.

I can post pics of my "skates," if you like.

Who did you cosplay as?

I could have sworn last year or the year before I saw an African American guy with JSRF cosplaying with a pair of blades on.

Nina Star 9

I cosplayed as Ryth. I'm anything but a black guy! (It must have been the year before since I think I wa the only JSR cosplayer last year, at least that I saw?)

...Well, it turns out that I only have this kind of funky back/side shot of the "skates," after I slipped in some mud outside and after my foam started coming off (since hot glue was not the best choice XD). I can't find any images from Fanime. :/

Left in link form because I didn't resize it

I hope tha thelps at least somewhat. I think that currently, the foam is ripped off pending some better glue, so I can't take a better picture now. Sorry about that.

AgehaMist

oh man Nina Star you were like one of the first people I took a picture of during the con! XD I saw you in the line for getting the pre reg badges...

Anyway thanks for the reference, I'll try to add some stuff to my shoes like that :]

Nina Star 9

Really? :D That's pretty cool! Did you get my "skates" in the shot? It might be helpful to see another angle.

AgehaMist

sadly no :[

I only got the top half because we were standing in line XD

But the picture you posted is at a good angle, I might do something with my shoes once I get some more cosplay materials