New Super Mario Bros.Wii

Started by Jerry, November 16, 2009, 08:17:15 AM

Jerry

Mini Rant. -

Bought it at Fry's for $40 and I have to say this game is pretty awesome.

Very similar gameplay to New Mario Bros on the DS but imagine that it integrates the wii mote controls and having to share/deal with 3 other co-op players as you try to get thru the level with 3 other friends who may or may not know what theyre doing. :P

I may try to host a mini gathering to let ppl try this game out or something.

Otherwise. I'm just saying this game is pretty awesome considering its humble roots.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Mizuki

I hear it's actually almost unplayable at a certain point due to the controller lag. Is this true?

Jerry

I did notice a weird learning curve when it came to timing my jumps and or shaking the wii mote to activate the new suits- like the propeller hat for example.

at first I thought it was me- or I had grown rusty with my lack of playing mario games over the years...

if thats the case, I'll double check the battery charge on my wii motes, and try the response time with a gamecube controller.

more testing and I'll get back to you on that.

Or I'll host a mini gathering with whoever wants to try the game... I'm sure they'll get a kick out of this game as a pseudo party game.

Mizuki

I also heard you actually can't use the GCN controller for some odd reason.

kgHapa

Yea, gotta say I played it with my boss for a while and already loved it. I mean seriously, Ice flower? effin, awesome

Jerry

Quote from: Mizuki on November 18, 2009, 10:48:26 AM
I also heard you actually can't use the GCN controller for some odd reason.

holy crap. your right.

main reason you cant use a GC controler is because the game USES wii mote [tilt and shake] sensativity for additional gameplay.
something you CANT do oh GC controler, so yah...

again i guess i have to default on the- its been a while since ive played mario games. so i need to work on my timing so i dont mis jump when stomping a goomba or trying to jump over a hole in the ground. :P

Liquid

I didn't know this was out already. I thought I still had a week or two. But, from everything I've been reading this game has got great reviews. The Kotaku article stated that if you didn't have a Wii, that this game was a good reason to get one.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Jerry

Quote from: Liquid on November 18, 2009, 12:50:03 PM
I didn't know this was out already. I thought I still had a week or two. But, from everything I've been reading this game has got great reviews. The Kotaku article stated that if you didn't have a Wii, that this game was a good reason to get one.

$40 at Fridays until tomorrow.

Get it while it still on sale. :D

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: Mizuki on November 18, 2009, 12:41:03 AM
I hear it's actually almost unplayable at a certain point due to the controller lag. Is this true?

Hmmm.  Unsure.

So far, the only issues I had with the Wii Remote regarding lag is using the Wii Remote Motion features.  That or I am executing the movements late.

Other than that, the standard button inputs haven't caused me any lag issues.  I've managed to time my jumps and throw my items perfectly.  XD
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

david

My nephew got this for Christmas.  We've gotten to the 4th world.  No issues at all.  No input lag or whatever it is.

It just takes a few minutes to get adjusted to the physics and everything like that, but once you got that down, it's smooth sailing.

It's tons of fun.  The fact that you can play with 2-4 people adds so much fun to the game.  If you have a Wii, you have to buy this game.  And if you have this game, you have to play it with at least one another person.  So fun.

Kanameshito

Love it but the control isnt all there .It does'nt stop you from playing though
Breathing in the same sequence
While trying to make sense of your situation
What we got ourselves in, two more weeks of one way conversation
She says she's losing interest
I swear that we are best friends till the end
A song that had me listening

Liquid

This game is pretty much a sequal to the DS Mario Bros game. Same gameplay, look, and everything. The only thing I don't like about multiplayer is that players can bump into eachother and accidentally block and mess up the other players from running, jumping, avoiding bad guys, etc. You should be able to enable and disable being able to touch the other players on the fly. Sometimes I find myself getting frustrated with having another person in my way and I just pick them up and run with them. :D
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Jerry

it makes it more realistic in the sense that the character does take up space... that plus you could help a 2nd character jump higher from bouncing off your head.

I totally get the bumping off and accidentally killing each other part though.

at that point when you have a fail player, just have them turn into a bubble until you need them or just before you die to "save" you. :P
you end up using/getting around the random oddities of the game :P

Ctrl_Z

I love this game! i only play it with my gf. I get a bit frustrated at times cuz we wont work cohesively, but that's all part of the game. aw I wanna play now.

DarkFujin

The physics in this game don't seem to be any different than the NES Super Mario games. And for those of you who want to play with a GCN controller, have you ever tried playing the Virtual Console Super Mario games with a GCN controller? The buttons are spaced out far enough that doing a running jump is nearly impossible, at least it is for me and my friends.

One thing I really miss about this game is the ability to throw shells upwards.

Ctrl_Z

Quote from: DarkFujin on February 19, 2010, 06:56:05 PM
The physics in this game don't seem to be any different than the NES Super Mario games. And for those of you who want to play with a GCN controller, have you ever tried playing the Virtual Console Super Mario games with a GCN controller? The buttons are spaced out far enough that doing a running jump is nearly impossible, at least it is for me and my friends.

One thing I really miss about this game is the ability to throw shells upwards.
I got the physics as soon as i picked up the controller. it's having to worry about the other player that gets me lol.

Jerry

i'll agree to the enjoy-ment [is that a word?] of the 4 player co-op [if you call it that] via new super mario brothers wii.

um... what i dont agree with is the links in your siguature  about "hacking" your wii.

I buy all my games and even though im broke, i do what i cant to support the economy... not by using technology to get around and 'steal' it.  :-\

you may want to remove those from your signature. I [and the moderators of the boards] dont really support that kinda stuff.