The Dickens Fair! Get your Steam Punk or Victorian On!!

Started by kgHapa, November 17, 2009, 08:13:13 AM

kgHapa

PyronIkari

Quote from: Atlus on November 17, 2009, 08:13:13 AM
http://www.dickensfair.com/
Not sure when I'm going, but we should arrange something!
Uhm... why would you say Steam Punk? Charles Dickens was nothing close to steam punk in any way shape or form. Victorian yes... even industrial revolution... but Steam Punk? Please don't embarass yourself and go to this in a steam punk outfit...

kgHapa

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 17, 2009, 01:13:37 PM
Quote from: Atlus on November 17, 2009, 08:13:13 AM
http://www.dickensfair.com/
Not sure when I'm going, but we should arrange something!
Uhm... why would you say Steam Punk? Charles Dickens was nothing close to steam punk in any way shape or form. Victorian yes... even industrial revolution... but Steam Punk? Please don't embarass yourself and go to this in a steam punk outfit...
Haha because historical accuracy is the name of the game  ;D
While I agree with you to a point, it's the same as getting on the case of all the people that dress up like celts, "orient traders," medieval knights, princesses, and general high fantasy at the renaissance faire. None of those are renaissance but the general point of the faire is to have fun and encourage a fantasy-esque theme.

As for Dickens Faire, well maybe you should write them a letter and tell them to stop holding "Steampunk Day" and the "Best Steampunk costume" contest....

PyronIkari

Quote from: Atlus on November 17, 2009, 09:48:10 PM
Haha because historical accuracy is the name of the game  ;D
While I agree with you to a point, it's the same as getting on the case of all the people that dress up like celts, "orient traders," medieval knights, princesses, and general high fantasy at the renaissance faire. None of those are renaissance but the general point of the faire is to have fun and encourage a fantasy-esque theme.

As for Dickens Faire, well maybe you should write them a letter and tell them to stop holding "Steampunk Day" and the "Best Steampunk costume" contest....

Renfaires... Uhm... knights still existed during the renaissance. Jousting and faires of the such existed upwards to the 17th century. Long after the Renaissance ed. Trading to the East was actually really big during the renaissance as well. So what part of them... aren't renaissance?

The point of the faire is to... encourage a fantasy setting... but that doesn't mean you can bend the setting to your whims. "It's a ren-faire... fff renaissance... let's go as Jedis". Or on a much lesser scale "Ren-faire... ffff let's go as Vikings" Steampunk is a fictional era... why is it being done at a HISTORICAL event.

Ok, now... I've looked through this entire website, and talked to people that have previously gone. And there is nothing about Steampunk.

kgHapa

*sigh* I'm really trying to avoid an internet debate, because as cool as those make me look the point of this thread is just to meet up and have fun :)

Regardless, yes, jousts still existed, and "knights" still existed, but to walk around in full plate mail with a broadsword or dressed in extremely generic "oriental" garb is far from time period appropriate. Same with wings...or even with buttons like we have today (or shoe laces...)

The whole "steampunk" section of the fair is small, but people love it. Last year on Dec. 13th was the steampunk day and contest, along with a $400 gift card prize to the winner. Check out "La Legion Fantastique" section of the page about their whole "Jules Verne" theme. Overall the loose association to Victorian England is just a beacon for steampunks since it's associated with 19th century england, so all I can say is have fun and dress how you will! I know you're not going to drop this until you've clearly asserted yourself as right beyond any doubt or challenge so I'm just going to stop at this point.

I'm personally getting me an over coat with some badass tails thank you very much. Hope to see you there!
Plus there are pubs and tea "shoppes"!

Kazuko

I would have to agree with Pyron on this one, I love time period outfits. Victorian is one of my favorites and from what my friends have told me and are avid Dickens fair goers. Dressing in Steampunk its a bit awkward since it doesn't really exist. As in ACTUAL victoran era. Sure Steampunk is pretty cool and has Victorian elements to it but it doesn't give you an excuse to run around all willy nilly in steampunk. It could give people the wrong impression like those who don't know much about Victorian time clothing.

A pet peeve of mine is when people automatically assume that Victorian = Steampunk.

that and when people refer to asian things as oriental. You dont really say Oriental unless you are talking about the rugs lol

kgHapa

Quote from: Kazuko on November 19, 2009, 12:51:56 AM
I would have to agree with Pyron on this one, I love time period outfits. Victorian is one of my favorites and from what my friends have told me and are avid Dickens fair goers. Dressing in Steampunk its a bit awkward since it doesn't really exist. As in ACTUAL victoran era. Sure Steampunk is pretty cool and has Victorian elements to it but it doesn't give you an excuse to run around all willy nilly in steampunk. It could give people the wrong impression like those who don't know much about Victorian time clothing.

A pet peeve of mine is when people automatically assume that Victorian = Steampunk.

that and when people refer to asian things as oriental. You dont really say Oriental unless you are talking about the rugs lol

Lol don't take me wrong, I definitely agree haha. I wasn't planning on going steampunk (nor do I have a steam punk fit) and am totally with you, but it doesn't change the fact that people are still going to go in steampunk, so I'm just saying if that's your thing, come! Haha it's like all the random people dressed as samurai at the ren faire.... :-\

OniCourseMusha

I do agree from most people here that Dickens fair has nothing to do wit Steampunk HOWEVER I've seen people who dressed steam punk there anyways that I don't give a ratsass about that whether it doesn't fit or not.  I even heard stories that Darth Vader danced at the Ballroom scene.  How awesome is that!?

Anyways I love this event so much that I actual payed for my seasonal pass to make my moneys worth since I'm planning at least 4.  I recently went up there last saturday and I had alots of fun as usual and looking to try to get this Saturday off.  Here's pics and it'll get updated the next time I'll attend.

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/169257/
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Boba

If anyone is willing to give me a ride, I'm down. I was supposed to go with my sister, but she had to take care of some things. ;-; </3

I'm in San Jose, Cali.
Add my @live.com email on Faceboooook! 0: