Magic the Gathering and other card games....

Started by serajwl, December 02, 2009, 08:38:24 PM

serajwl

I've been away from the anime community for quite a while, nerding out to other things. One of these things is Magic: The Gathering.

I thought it would be fun to host some events for MtG as well as other card games, most likely Yu Gi Oh. I'm not sure what it takes to sanction them, but I'm sure it's doable at an event so large.

I was just curious to see how many people would want to take part in these sort of gaming events, and what kind of formats you would want to play?

I myself would love to just draft draft draft MtG all day long!

Kertus

Heh, I suppose I would be interested in a game or 2.
Although the last time I played or even got new cards was a few years ago at this point.  :P
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

ewu

tabletop gaming has 200 ft of table space that is open 24/4. I know lots of peeps play there. You may even be able to organize a tournament.

Also you may think of having some sort of panel.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TC X0 Lt 0X

The head of Table Top Gaming told a group of us YuGiOh players that they were going to try and get a Shonen Jump Tournament for Fanime next year. That there could probably attract an extra 500+ people to the convention.

Not sure about MtG, but I am sure if someone contacts the Head that they could see if a official MtG tournament could be organized

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

serajwl

Quote from: Kertus on December 03, 2009, 08:30:16 AM
Heh, I suppose I would be interested in a game or 2.
Although the last time I played or even got new cards was a few years ago at this point.  :P

Well, it's all in god fun. Drafting is a good way to pick up new cards =]

Quote from: ewu on December 03, 2009, 04:36:17 PM
tabletop gaming has 200 ft of table space that is open 24/4. I know lots of peeps play there. You may even be able to organize a tournament.

Also you may think of having some sort of panel.

I'm not sure what kind of panel I would host haha. I'm really not good enough at the game to offer sound advice. At least not in my opinion. Though it might be neat if we could get some of the good players in the area to come and chat.

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on December 03, 2009, 07:34:26 PM
The head of Table Top Gaming told a group of us YuGiOh players that they were going to try and get a Shonen Jump Tournament for Fanime next year. That there could probably attract an extra 500+ people to the convention.

Not sure about MtG, but I am sure if someone contacts the Head that they could see if a official MtG tournament could be organized

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. They would probably know a lot more about doing sanctioned tournaments than myself.

azor12

A Magic the Gathering panel could be feasible, but personally i feel if there is such a panel, it should be aimed for a more casual look at the game. Being a MtG player, i would be stoked if there was a panel on the casual formats as well as an overview of the constructed tournament formats examples could include Eternal Dragon Highlander, Standard, Extended, Draft, Sealed, Emperor etc..

BTW If anyone is interested lets get some Eternal Dragon Highlander going at Fanime! Epic Group games FTW!

ewu

sounds cool......post in the panels section as an idea.....but ya gotta find panelists too!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

thesteve

has any thing be done with the panel idea. i looked in the panel section but fond nothing. if there looking for people i'm up for it as I paly quit a bit off magic mostly casual formats and nore then willing to talk about it 

M

Quote from: azor12 on January 05, 2010, 01:02:21 PM
A Magic the Gathering panel could be feasible, but personally i feel if there is such a panel, it should be aimed for a more casual look at the game. Being a MtG player, i would be stoked if there was a panel on the casual formats as well as an overview of the constructed tournament formats examples could include Eternal Dragon Highlander, Standard, Extended, Draft, Sealed, Emperor etc..
If you can pull this off, way more power to you.

I was thinking of doing something like this including a small tournament after the panel to those that attended the panels, but with time restraints we would only have been able to teach one or two formats. The panel was designed to teach new players how to learn and grasp the game. Having a million formats would just make it very confusing like trying to explain which sets are in "extended" and other things.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

If you're looking for a panelist I'd be willing to help out with some more basic tutorials. I don't play at tournament level or anything like that, but I could help provide the foundational stuff like how mana works, turn order, very basic stack priority, etc. Message me.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

isshinkun

god i would love to break out my cards and play with them again its been years since ive played a good friendly game of magic the last set i remeber palying in was kamigawa but then again i cant be sure ive been out of the runnings to long