Paypal is Down

Started by Erin, December 29, 2009, 02:11:34 PM

Erin

Hello members!

We are currently having technical difficulties with Paypal.  We will try to fix this as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience this will cause as we are so close to the December 31st deadline.  Please bear with us, and we will notify everyone as soon as Paypal is back up.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Erin
Fanime Registration
Erin
Fan Services Co-Second

LightandDarkSoul

I hope it comes back soon. I was just about to pay. TT_TT

Blaque

.....So is there no other way to pay for my registration before the deadline?  Seems somewhat unfair to have to miss the deadline because of a technical problem.

yukiko_no_niwa

I agree. If the deadline is missed because of the technical issues, we should be allowed to have an extended deadline.
Past:
CC [Code Geass]
Lightning (B&W Ball) [FF XIII]
2012:
Sice [FF Type-0]

Sailor Star Dust

Since this was mentioned in that other Paypal is down thread, I really hope there will be a pre-reg deadline extension if the problem isn't fixed. It's not fair to miss the current pre-registration amount just because of a technical glitch. (For what it's worth, I was going to register today then I couldn't due to the paypal issue.)

LightandDarkSoul

I agree. The Deadline should be extended for the number of days the paypal problem has gone on.

ch0c0pies

Maki_Jaganshi

I agree with Sailor Star Dust. I will be checking the forum very frequently tomorrow and hope that this will be corrected as quickly as possible, or that the deadline will be extended to compensate for the glitch. Good luck admin~
"No matter how much you long for someone, if they're distant enough, there won't be any crazy hopes or broken hearts." --Masaru (Mogura to Taiyou)  

ewu

yes, we will be extending the deadline. We'll try our best to let you all know when Paypal comes back up and extend the deadline as appropriate.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Jerry

keep in mind, sometimes the internet dies or websites get minor glitches.

Please bare with the staff as they try to correct the issue.

Please also appreciate that due to technical difficulties, Staff will adjust the deadline to accommodate.

Makes you realize that sometimes not always good to wait til the last minute? :P
So hopefully registering early means you save $$$ and you have one less thing to worry about.

Once theyre back online, make sure you Register for 2010 asap and start saving up for 2011 and pre-register early.
You'll be glad you did this early.  :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

m.seiryuu

I think that it might be useful to those of us who had planned on registering under the deadline if the information about Paypal's SNAFU and the extension of the deadline, as well as information about when Paypal service is restored were placed on the website someplace useful. Like maybe where people look when they're going to register, so they don't discover that Paypal is down by trying to pay and then need to hunt the website and visit forums they might not otherwise visit in order to find out what is going on. A few words on the registration page is all it would really take. Just an idea.

Blaque

"Makes you realize that sometimes not always good to wait til the last minute? Tongue"

Makes me realize that a properly designed website that would allow me to use a credit card and register at my convenience would be better.
In this day and age NO ONE offers just one payment method.  Please. :o

yukiko_no_niwa

Quote from: ewu on December 31, 2009, 09:37:48 AM
yes, we will be extending the deadline. We'll try our best to let you all know when Paypal comes back up and extend the deadline as appropriate.
That's great news to hear! :D
Past:
CC [Code Geass]
Lightning (B&W Ball) [FF XIII]
2012:
Sice [FF Type-0]

Sen

Quote from: Blaque on December 31, 2009, 04:16:19 PM
"Makes you realize that sometimes not always good to wait til the last minute? Tongue"

Makes me realize that a properly designed website that would allow me to use a credit card and register at my convenience would be better.

PayPal accepts your credit/debit card without having to create a PayPal account.

As of right now PayPal is still down. We will be putting up an announcement concerning the extension on the front page as soon as possible. Thank you for your continued patience and we apologize for the inconvenience.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Maki_Jaganshi

Another factor is that I and my friends are broke college students and needed to wait until Christmas to get the money for the ticket.
"No matter how much you long for someone, if they're distant enough, there won't be any crazy hopes or broken hearts." --Masaru (Mogura to Taiyou)  

catherwood

I really thought in past years I have always simply registered online and then mailed a check.  I'm not happy about being forced to go online to pay.  (Am i just getting old??)  I'll do it if I must, but i wondered why there was a change in policy this year.

ewu

Quote from: catherwood on December 31, 2009, 10:56:39 PM
i wondered why there was a change in policy this year.

The number of lost payments and delays in processing through he mail in comparison to the number of checks we were receiving justified the change. We continue to consider options that are the best logistically and practicality. Should the experience prove to be negative then we will revert to accepting check payments.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Blaque

Quote from: Sen on December 31, 2009, 10:01:07 PM

PayPal accepts your credit/debit card without having to create a PayPal account.

Having a paypal acct is not the issue, I have a paypal acct.  Using a credit card with out paypal is the issue.  ;)
If there were a separate, alternate, unique way to use my credit card I would be registered and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You would look more professional and fewer fans would be biting there finger nails wondering if their limited budget for this event was going out the window.  :) 

Just saying.......Improvements could be made.

Jerry

Quote from: Blaque on January 01, 2010, 07:41:56 AM

Just saying.......Improvements could be made.

I understand that improvements is what Fanime staff constantly strives for... but keep in mind we're not staffed with experienced business or website/commerce building abilities.

If we could simply build a site that accepts CC's and/or your checking account info I bet we'd totally be okay with that. Cept we just dont have the technology to do it at this time is my guess.

if you want to write the security code and program the webiste to accept CC or checking accounts... by all means contact our Website/business site staff and go from there.

until then, just bare with the limitations and experimentation process of how our registration process is just the way it is.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Moonblossom

PayPal is pretty much the standard now - I work in a small toy store that does eCommerce as well, and I've had clients call me and flat-out refuse to buy from us because we accept secure CC but not PayPal yet (we are working on it).

Look at eBay. They keep adding new measures to discourage vendors from accepting anything other than PayPal. Amazon is apparently debating it as well.

It's a name people recognize and feel safe with. To me it makes sense to stick with it.