Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

Nekomatt

So, I have a question. I'm planning as dressing as Ghost from MW2 this year, and I already have the whole kit together. I just need to know what I can do for the weapon. According to the 2009 weapon's rules, it cannot have any moving parts. BUT, I have an M4 (Not real steel, cannot fire real bullets, etc.) It, however still has a few functioning parts, and I want to know what else I need to disable.

1. The trigger can still be pulled.
2. The stock can be collapsed into 5 positions.
3. There is a small lever on the stock that allows it to be collapsed.
4. The magazine release can be pushed in to release the magazine.
5. The flash hider (tip) can be removed. Do I need to glue it on?

I also have a glock (side-arm) that again has no functionality, but is just the shell of the gun.

1. The trigger can also be pulled
2. The slide can be pulled back.
3. The slide lock functions
4. The mag release is functional, and mags can be inserted and removed

Please note that none of these are real firearms, all stripped and gutted airsoft replicas that can no longer fire any kind of projectile.

What other modifications do I need to do?

michiko nakano

Dagger-6

For the Ghost costume, the general rule is to avoid any replicas of real guns, even gutted airsoft replicas.

If you want to have a prop gun to pose with, the safest route is to use a kids toy (such as a deactivated nerf gun) that is brightly colored.

I'll let someone else cover the bows since I'm a bit rusty on the prop policy.

Runewitt

good idea for the prop guns.. if it can be mistaken for a real gun at twenty feet or more DONT BRING IT.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

BSaphire

Quote from: Nekomatt on December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM
So, I have a question. I'm planning as dressing as Ghost from MW2 this year, and I already have the whole kit together. I just need to know what I can do for the weapon. According to the 2009 weapon's rules, it cannot have any moving parts. BUT, I have an M4 (Not real steel, cannot fire real bullets, etc.) It, however still has a few functioning parts, and I want to know what else I need to disable.

1. The trigger can still be pulled.
2. The stock can be collapsed into 5 positions.
3. There is a small lever on the stock that allows it to be collapsed.
4. The magazine release can be pushed in to release the magazine.
5. The flash hider (tip) can be removed. Do I need to glue it on?

I also have a glock (side-arm) that again has no functionality, but is just the shell of the gun.

1. The trigger can also be pulled
2. The slide can be pulled back.
3. The slide lock functions
4. The mag release is functional, and mags can be inserted and removed

Please note that none of these are real firearms, all stripped and gutted airsoft replicas that can no longer fire any kind of projectile.

What other modifications do I need to do?
I would strongly suggest that you pose your questions to [email protected]. One of the guys will be able to answer you.

I can not speak for them, but I will tell you that majority of conventions will not allow any real fire arms (functioning or not) due to state and local laws. If it looks real then you will freak someone out. There are too many law enforcement officers (both on and off duty) that visit the convention over the course of the weekend and you might just end up spending your con in the local police station answering questions.

As a fan of such series as Resident Evil, I can tell you that the weapons policy of most conventions has become what it is due to something that has happened in the past at some con or show. I was there when the SFPD showed up at JTAF 2 and were questioning some MGS and RE cosplayers about the "Weapons" they were carrying because a person was afraid that the group were going to attack patrons or were in the process of a "gang" war. That took about an hour to straighten out and no one went to jail to my understanding, but it could be scary to an outsider looking in.

Suggestion for what ever prop weapon you end up with: make sure that it looks NOT real as much as possible. A blazing orange tip and butt along with some other type of marking could go a long way. BUT I would like to state it again, please contact [email protected] with your weapons/props questions. They are more of the authority on what will and will not be allowed at Fanime.

Thank you
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Jerry

basic rule of thumb is pretty much what everyone else is saying.

no replicas or anything resembling any real guns are allowed at the convention - tough but true.

Airsoft even non functioning Airsoft is not allowed. NO EXCEPTIONS.

preferably, if these 'gun' were to look as toy-like as possible. Neon / orange tips etc.

NO PAINTED gun like weapons. [i.e. an airsoft replica painted orange- big NO NO]

There WILL BE uniformed and plain clothes officers on sight. They are allow stricter [but nice about it] than the Fanime staff & Rovers.  

as mentioned in an older thread: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10256.msg292798.html#msg292798

even weapons that look like this will NOT be allowed :(

Unfortunately they just look TOO REAL. Thats the breaks, in the post 911 world.  :-[

I'd post the link to th official weapons policy, but I dont remember the link.

BEST way to get info is to e-mail us.

Actually you could contact my bosses and our deptartment.

[email protected]    [email protected]

or

[email protected]

but we'll repost the info about weapons once the Rovers finalize the 2010 policies...

ALL PROP WEAPONS are to be inspected by Safety/ SOS /Rovers team

Once inspected WE (Fanime staff) will peace bond the weapon item for you.

NO LIVE STEEL. period.
this means any weapon made of metal with an edge is NOT allowed on the Fanime Concourse (any areas of the convention)

the ONLY exception is weapons bought from the Dealers room. That STAY in the cardboard box and immediately taken into storage.

Again a MORE details weapons policy will eventually be posted but thats some of the 'official' 411.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Tony

Ugh. As an airsoft owner (and fan of Ghost from MW2) it breaks my heart to have to enforce these rules and I commiserate, but it's for the best.

At least if you've got the mask and tac gear, you're 90% there.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Nekomatt

What If I were to make the weapons out of cardboard or, even better, molded plastic?

Andrew_Walker88

Are lightsbaers allowed? A Master Replica Force FX. Here is the website description for it:

Enhanced glowing green blade with realistic power-up and power-down light effects. The power-

up and power-down light effects are produced by a string of 64 super-bright

LEDs that ignite sequentially inside the blade.

Authentic lightsaber sound effects digitally recorded from the movie

Features four motion sensor controlled sound effects: power-up, idle hum, clash,

and power-down Durable metal hilt looks and feels like a real lightsaber

Sturdy blade is permanently attached to the hilt.

If there are any issues with this please let me know. Thank you for your time

Phantomhive.LolitaKei

a wooden kendo sword or any old sword crafted out of wood and rubber is okay or no? Its not sharp at all except the point is...well.. pointy, but not sharp.
NYAPPY! o(≧∀≦)o
R☆ck Hard & L♥ve Easy.
----------------------------------
Artist, Cosplayer, Model

websites/places to contact me at......
Tumblr:myobiyuki.tumblr.com
DeviantArt: crossdemonization.deviantart.com

Jerry

Quote from: Phantomhive.LolitaKei on January 16, 2010, 11:58:05 PM
a wooden kendo sword or any old sword crafted out of wood and rubber is okay or no? Its not sharp at all except the point is...well.. pointy, but not sharp.

this is one of the extremely grey area ones...

but i would default to ---- so long as this item PERTAINS to the cosplay you are going to dress up as, and your okay with having it either bonded to your costume in a way it will not be " unsheathed " that way it is ALWAYS attached to your hip/back... but sometimes that becomes more of a nuisance than anything.

if anything you may want to go into more detail about why the kendo sword and if its really " essential " to have with said costume.

otherwise you might way to e-mail  the Rovers.  Thanks

Moonblossom

Andrew - The ForceFX saber is likely to shatter internally if you actually try to hurt anyone with it, and it's quite obviously not a real, threatening weapon, so I think it should be okay.

Do you already own one or are you considering buying it before the con? I sell them at the store I manage, and they really are ridiculously fragile. Gorgeous and super accurate, but fragile. If only for that reason, I'd suggest you find an alternative. They're a big investment to have bonk against a dealer table while you're browsing and break in half...

Phantomhive.LolitaKei

Quote from: Jerry on January 17, 2010, 02:30:56 AM
Quote from: Phantomhive.LolitaKei on January 16, 2010, 11:58:05 PM

this is one of the extremely grey area ones...

but i would default to ---- so long as this item PERTAINS to the cosplay you are going to dress up as, and your okay with having it either bonded to your costume in a way it will not be " unsheathed " that way it is ALWAYS attached to your hip/back... but sometimes that becomes more of a nuisance than anything.

if anything you may want to go into more detail about why the kendo sword and if its really " essential " to have with said costume.

otherwise you might way to e-mail  the Rovers.  Thanks

It doesn't have a sheath its basically a stick of wood with a rubber hilt. A bokken. Heres a link to an almost identical version: http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallpapers/80833-bigthumbnail.jpg

Only difference are the colors. Pretty much the same.
NYAPPY! o(≧∀≦)o
R☆ck Hard & L♥ve Easy.
----------------------------------
Artist, Cosplayer, Model

websites/places to contact me at......
Tumblr:myobiyuki.tumblr.com
DeviantArt: crossdemonization.deviantart.com

Moonblossom

Kendo swords can huuuuurt if wielded by someone incompetent horsing around - I was hit with one by some twit thinking it wouldn't hurt, and I had subcutaneous bruising for eons. People who train with them typically know what their limits are and how to pull back, but if someone grabs it from you and starts playing the fool, they could seriously injure a random passerby. I think your best bet would be to email Rovers like Jerry suggested and see what they say, because it is technically a weapon.

Jerry

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 17, 2010, 06:59:47 AM
Andrew - The ForceFX saber is likely to shatter internally if you actually try to hurt anyone with it, and it's quite obviously not a real, threatening weapon, so I think it should be okay.

Do you already own one or are you considering buying it before the con? I sell them at the store I manage, and they really are ridiculously fragile. Gorgeous and super accurate, but fragile. If only for that reason, I'd suggest you find an alternative. They're a big investment to have bonk against a dealer table while you're browsing and break in half...

I actually own one myself and the short answer is - AGAIN SO LONG AS YOUR COSPLAY CALLS FOR IT - so your dressing up like a Jedi or a Sith and we peace bond it you'll be ok.

NO Execessive swinging or horseplay of the item.

Ironically ive swung and whacked around my FX Light sabers are pretty damn sturdy. and will do damage to yourself and others if not properly handled.

Please just dont be stupid. Otherwise, The Rovers or worse the SJPD will get you.
I'm not kidding.   >:(

Moonblossom

You've been lucky! We've had the internal tubes shatter simply while moving them around in the warehouse, and several people have tried to return them after dropping them a few feet and having them break.

I wonder if they're making them more durable now than they used to.

</stops derailing the thread>

OGIGA

It seems to me that the basic rule is: "If it looks awesome, it's not allowed. You have to make it look crappier."

Jerry

Quote from: OGIGA on January 19, 2010, 09:22:56 PM
It seems to me that the basic rule is: "If it looks awesome, it's not allowed. You have to make it look crappier."

if you mean replica guns and sword like weapons then yes. - if it doesnt look like a real weapon, you've made and awesome prop.

But seriously - take pictures of your items - post them here or e-mail Rovers.

BSaphire

Quote from: Jerry on January 20, 2010, 09:30:39 AM
Quote from: OGIGA on January 19, 2010, 09:22:56 PM

if you mean replica guns and sword like weapons then yes. - if it doesnt look like a real weapon, you've made and awesome prop.

But seriously - take pictures of your items - post them here or e-mail Rovers.
Since we are a few months out from Fanime 2010 I am going to sticky this topic because I know there will be many more questions.

@ Jerry &/or Heads of Rovers &/or Chairs: If you would be kind enough to keep an eye on this thread and direct the questions as needed I would appreciate it very much. I hope that the sticky for this topic will help you to do this.

@ Posters: If you submit a photo here as per Jerry's request I would like to suggest that the stay a reasonable size and no more than two photo's per post. It would be greatly preferred to use a link to the photo (s) instead.

ie* put the photos up in your Cosplay. com/other photo account and post the URL to them here.

I also want to note that even if you post photos and rovers say that it looks ok, they may (and have the right to) change their mind at Fanime and not peace bond it. Though this rarely happens it could and I wouldn't want you to think anyone would be mean to you intentionally it is just that sometimes when you have something in front of you it appears more dangerous than it does in a photo so I'm just throwing that out there.

A reminder: I am not part of Rovers so I can't say if something is or is not ok for Fanime. Please feel free to post here

or direct your questions to:

[email protected]    [email protected]

or

[email protected]
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Jerry on December 30, 2009, 09:17:00 AM

Lol, that's awesome, I drop in to look at this thread and see someone when and linked to one of my photos from way back when.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.