Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

loner

I just came from conops and peacebonded my gun, went out towards hilton side but stopped to pose....rover looked at me up and down and took my weapon mid picture and walked away, i followed him and asked him what was going on and he said "just follow me" so we ended up walking all the way back to peacebonding station which was at the marriot side and the whole way there he didnt give me back my gun or even speak to me....peacebonders asked why i came back after being there a few minutes earlier and i told them the rover didnt believe i was JUST here even when the whole walk back he noticed the peacebond ziptie already, i pointed him out as he quietly tried to exit the room....they told me that was strange and sent me on my merry way. Like i said im not a irresponsible cosplayer, the worst i ever did was carmel dance in a master chief cosplay....lol not fun....but despite his rudeness i complied and didnt argue, i just thought it was aweful how that was handled...sfpd didnt even do that to me at JTAF2 they asked to see my toys, they didnt just grab it without explaination.

Quote from: Dany on May 09, 2010, 08:04:44 PM
Quote from: loner on May 09, 2010, 07:34:54 PM
bitter much? i thought i was trolling...anywhooooo....

so i just wanna make sure that rovers cannot grab a cosplayers prop on the con floor right? they are to be examined with care at the peacebonding stations right? (its happend to me just wanna double check again)

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 09, 2010, 11:55:49 AM
just leave the props at home. enough said.

Well, if it at all helps, the one time I was approached, my prop was not touched. I was just told to take it to a certain room, and from there, they checked it over and made sure it wasn't live steel, etc.  Bear in mind this was 2005, however.

I would -think- that barring the fact of being in the middle of doing stupid things, your props would not be handled by anyone other than you until you went to a station to be peacebonded.

Runewitt

Gun Belt
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/Thebi/DSCF0653.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/Thebi/DSCF0654.jpg

as you can see, there is no way the ammo could be fired, even if i had a gun, the only thing i'm worried about is that that fact will be hard to see unless you are looking dirrectly down at the bullets, and i may be wearing a duster,(long trenchcoat) that would hide them part of the time.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Aelia

Loner, I think I might remember something about that. If it happens again, I'll have words to say to that rover. (We always mean well, but sometimes we have some rovers who are overzealous)

Runewitt; I'd like to say that the belt is OK. I would just throw a tag on it to mark that you had agreed to not be an idiot and wave it around and try to beat people with your belt...

We've posted the 2010 weapons policy.
Director of Operations

Runewitt

Aelia: LOL no way would i wave that around and hit people with it, it's worth almost as mucha as my first car was.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Bekalou

I have a staff which I carried at the Cherry Blossom Festival this year. Is this alright? Photo of it: http://bekalou.deviantart.com/art/Syaoran-A-New-Journey-162009301

Charis

Clarification question regarding the "swords will be peacebonded into their scabbards" segment of policy.  If one has a (wooden) sword that cannot effectively be locked into its scabbard, what would Rovers do?  For example, a katana scabbard without the saego knot lacks anything which the ziptie could be fixed to; the same holds true even into Western swords -- and in many times, attempting to secure the sword into the scabbard or sheath would damage it.

I'd rather ask now and simply leave those weapons to outside of con centre only, much as it pains me, than have to worry about potential damage.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Aelia

Wooden swords do not have to be peacebonded into the scabbard. We prefer at least attaching the sword to your hip though. (Having discussed it, we've decided that a boken can do a lot more damage than the wooden swords most people carry, so it's cool if you can draw a wooden sword)

And for bekalou- you'd have to get it tagged, but it's OK to carry and would not have to be attached. ;) (I think I recognize you from previous years?)
Director of Operations

Aelia

Quote from: AtoroAion on May 05, 2010, 01:03:45 PM
Okay, so 22 days away from the con and still no weapon policy? Not much room for error now... already finished everything I need, and now I'm just waiting for the policy to see if my weapon is a go or no-go, although here is a pic so someone may be able to give me a heads up.

No moving parts, orange tip as shown, no trigger even, no internal anything, all a hollow shell. Plus if need be it will be strapped to my back on top of a couple pouches (I'm going as Johnny "Akiba" Sasaki from MGS4) so I wouldn't be able to get to it.

Let me know whether I should even bother bringing it, thank in advance everyone ^_^

So, I've discussed this with a few people, and the general comment was "It's a replica", which does mean you cannot carry it. :\
Director of Operations

Charis

Quote from: Aelia on May 11, 2010, 08:53:47 AMWooden swords do not have to be peacebonded into the scabbard. We prefer at least attaching the sword to your hip though. (Having discussed it, we've decided that a boken can do a lot more damage than the wooden swords most people carry, so it's cool if you can draw a wooden sword)

Thank you for clarifying that -- it was difficult to be sure with how things were phrased in the policy.  (I'm still going to be worried about potential damage to my sword, but hopefully Rovers will be accommodating about not putting the ties too tightly. :) )
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

Aelia

They are under orders to not damage anything or else, so if you're worried, you can either come to me personally (as said to others, ask for Erin) or hover protectively and threaten to drag them to me should they mess your stuff up. ;)

I'll look at the weapons policy and see what I can do to make the wooden sword thing clearer.
Director of Operations

Charis

I like the or else in there. I'll probably just do protective mommy-hovering, but keep that offer in mind.  ^_^  Thanks again, and for all of your help and patience in this thread.

BTW: is there a specific e-mail address people can address questions about otherwise disallowed weapons for Masquerade, or is it the standard [email protected] one?
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

deonchan

Quote from: Charis on May 11, 2010, 11:16:36 AM
I like the or else in there. I'll probably just do protective mommy-hovering, but keep that offer in mind.  ^_^  Thanks again, and for all of your help and patience in this thread.

BTW: is there a specific e-mail address people can address questions about otherwise disallowed weapons for Masquerade, or is it the standard [email protected] one?

It's the rovers@fanime email address. All rovers managers will see emails sent to there and you'll get a reply from someone shortly.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

loner

Steve.Young

Which is good, makes my job easier (I.E. I don't have to do it!)  ;D
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

deonchan

Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Somebody

I don't know if I should be pointing this out but... Reading through the whole "your character must be published" and you must have a url thing, couldn't someone say "Oh well my original character IS published" and show a  link to DA or something? That confused me...

Also, I know things that are metal are tricky and under scrutiny, but would metal spurs count? I mentioned it earlier (and stupidly haven't emailed rovers) but figured they weren't allowed. (Since it's for an original character, that's doubly why I felt that above part was important.)

(Don't hate me for asking stupid questions plz!  :-[ T^T)
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Aelia

I'm sure you've heard that "no question is stupid" which is true, unless your question is stupid. Yours, however, is not actually stupid. They're good questions, so don't stress. ;)

DA would count. We want you to have put thought into your character before the convention, to dissuade people wandering around in fangirl or fanboy clothes with weapons "just 'cause", and by having a character that has been "published" on DA pre-con, it proves it's something you've actually taken time to create.

Metal Spurs fall into that grey area between clothing and props. I'd be ok with you wearing them as long as they stay on your feet and aren't damaging the floor.
Director of Operations

Somebody

Quote from: Aelia on May 11, 2010, 04:38:38 PM
I'm sure you've heard that "no question is stupid" which is true, unless your question is stupid. Yours, however, is not actually stupid. They're good questions, so don't stress. ;)

DA would count. We want you to have put thought into your character before the convention, to dissuade people wandering around in fangirl or fanboy clothes with weapons "just 'cause", and by having a character that has been "published" on DA pre-con, it proves it's something you've actually taken time to create.

Metal Spurs fall into that grey area between clothing and props. I'd be ok with you wearing them as long as they stay on your feet and aren't damaging the floor.

Thank you very much!  :D
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

bsan89

Quote from: Aelia on May 11, 2010, 08:57:48 AM
Okay, so 22 days away from the con and still no weapon policy? Not much room for error now... already finished everything I need, and now I'm just waiting for the policy to see if my weapon is a go or no-go, although here is a pic so someone may be able to give me a heads up.

No moving parts, orange tip as shown, no trigger even, no internal anything, all a hollow shell. Plus if need be it will be strapped to my back on top of a couple pouches (I'm going as Johnny "Akiba" Sasaki from MGS4) so I wouldn't be able to get to it.

Let me know whether I should even bother bringing it, thank in advance everyone ^_^

Wait a min! Thats the exact gun my friend brought last fanime, just bring it. My friend just got his gun yellow zip tie. Which is peace bonding I think. He couldn't bear without his prop with his cosplay so it work out.

deonchan

Quote from: bsan89 on May 11, 2010, 07:17:03 PM
Quote from: Aelia on May 11, 2010, 08:57:48 AM

Wait a min! Thats the exact gun my friend brought last fanime, just bring it. My friend just got his gun yellow zip tie. Which is peace bonding I think. He couldn't bear without his prop with his cosplay so it work out.

Per this years policy....
Quote•   This was OK last year, what about now?
We change rules yearly. This means that what was ok last year may not be allowed this year. Most especially, we're going to be changing rules on Guns and Gun-like weapons.

Rover's mgmt has already made the call. It's not allowed. Sorry.  :-[
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div