Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

JTchinoy

I read in the weapons policy you can't have a prop if your character doesn't exist in a published media.

What does this mean to people who like making custom characters and costumes?

It also says if I buy a weapon from the dealer room to finish my cosplay, I can have it peacebonded.  If It doesn't match my cosplay, I have to keep it in the box or bag and take it off the convention floors.  Doesn't this seem like a huge loophole?

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

loner

vampire ninjas jt?
ive been practicing!

i really hope rules are followed by staffers this year and there isnt favoritism, but there usually is...

Aelia

Quote from: billgoku on May 24, 2010, 01:16:43 PM
I'm sorry but if you read my post it says "In the air" meaning the tip is above my head pointing upward, so I'll rephrase it, its leaning on my chest and shoulder pointing toward the ceiling. This way I could spin in place and not hit anyone. Only thing I may hit is the top of a door frame.
"It's on my shoulder blade in the air" makes it sound like you've got it thrown over your shoulder angled back. If what you mean is more of a vertical position, than I think it's ok.

Quote from: Dany on May 24, 2010, 02:11:46 PM
Hey Aelia,

Referring the email about our weapons that you asked me to resend..I did so a few days or so after you requested (to both rovers at fanime and fanimerovers at gmail), but I've yet to hear a response on it.  Should I try to resend again?
Well shoot. I don't know what's happened to it. You can hit me at RoversAelia on AIM or send me a PM and I'll help you with it ASAP.

Quote from: ash_chan on May 24, 2010, 10:15:56 PM
I have a question about costume policy in general.
I've read all the rules for props and weapons, but nothing about restrictions on costumes.
Is there even a written rule sheet for this?
I'd like to go over it before going over my costumes for picking and choosing.
Quote from: ash_chan on May 25, 2010, 07:52:48 AM
Because I have a large (read: long) costume that I brought.
It's mainly for the pokemon gathering, but I wanted to walk on the con floor with it.
I'd probably keep it out of the Dealer's Room, that'd be a hassle, and it wouldn't be out ALL THE TIME, but I do want to show it off.
I worked super hard on this puppy.

I've seen costumes like it before at other cons, so I wasn't thinking when I made it that it might be not allowed at FanimeCon.
But then I realized last night and I figured I'd ask if there were any specific rules.
As long as it covers all of your "naughty bits" and has no risk of slipping, and is not a police uniform, then there are no restrictions I can think of. Basically, as Fanime is a family-friendly event, as long as there are no parents asking us to have you put on more clothing, and we don't have any more skin showing than you might show at the local pool, we'll let it go.

As far as costume size, if you pose a moving hazard, and think that your costume might be a danger, I'd suggest skipping walking around in it. If you feel that you have a way of wearing it that will not mess you up, and wouldn't be a crowd danger, then please, do wear it.

Quote from: aelitameier on May 24, 2010, 10:41:32 PM
I'm cosplaying as Electra from Cowboy bebop for two days at Fanime. My gun prop is plastic, small, un-loaded, and can be zip-tied. Problem is, after reading the guidelines, they said that I need a holster.

Electra doesn't have a holster, and she usually fits her gun in her pocket but I don't have a big enough pocket. I will, however, had a purse/bag with me that I can put it in until I need it for pictures. Would this be okay???

Note, this is my first time EVER at Fanime. Help would be greatly appreciated!   :)
Uhh... she wears a belt. We could hook it to that... I can't (strictly speaking) condone carrying it in a bag.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 25, 2010, 10:56:49 AM
Quote from: Aelia on May 24, 2010, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 23, 2010, 09:36:26 PM
I have a non-functioning squirt gun with a cone made of craft foam glued to the business end, all spraypainted blue. Do I still need an orange tip on it, and if so, where would I put the orange tip?

-snip-

I think it's pretty obvious that it's not a real gun, but I just want to be safe. Thanks!
It needs to get tagged. It does not need an orange tip.
Will it need to be bound to a holster? (I will sort of have one, basically just a garter around my leg that I can slip it into, so I'm not sure how it could be bound to that.)
We would need a holster (or to holster it in your garter). Garters are usually pretty easy to put stuff into, and we can probably bond it to that.

Quote from: loner on May 25, 2010, 06:55:51 AM
@aelia
so ive packed my things assuming they all follow under 2010 guideline and rules,
ive ran into problems before with peacebonders who dont follow the exact guidelines themselfs.

So not to cause any problems this year i printed out the rules and highlighted what pertains to my costumes, would this be ok without stepping on any toes if i bought this with me when i get my stuff peacebonded?
Quote from: loner on May 25, 2010, 12:57:21 PM
i really hope rules are followed by staffers this year and there isnt favoritism, but there usually is...
I am willing to work with you, but I'm insulted by the fact that you feel I won't know the weapons policy, and that there is going to be favoritism. However, I'll continue under the theory that the insult was unintentional. If you really feel that it's necessary to bring in a copy of the policy which you've highlighted, please, feel free to do so, but do not expect it to change the outcome.

Quote from: JTchinoy on May 25, 2010, 12:46:31 PM
I read in the weapons policy you can't have a prop if your character doesn't exist in a published media.

It also says if I buy a weapon from the dealer room to finish my cosplay, I can have it peacebonded.  If It doesn't match my cosplay, I have to keep it in the box or bag and take it off the convention floors.  Doesn't this seem like a huge loophole?
If you have a "custom" or "original" character which has been published pre-con on a website or in print or on film -- that is, it's on youtube, or deviantart, or has actually been published by a large retailer then we have a reference of some sort to establish that your character received some forethought and is not merely a result of an impulse-buy and a want to wear your new boken.

I'm not sure what "loophole" you mean, exactly. Say you need a shinai to complete your cosplay. If you are cosplaying a character which carries a shinai, why shouldn't you be able to carry a newly purchased one? If it's not a published character (in some format) we'll assume that your character is the result of an impulse buy, and it won't be peace-bonded.
Director of Operations

T-1000

Is there a Rover here or a representative on the official 2010 weapons policy that can speak to me in personal message or personal email? I'm not sure if my post was visible due to the massive quoting/replying. I'd like to get an inside on if my costume's weapon would be presentable to fanime. Thanks.
"Get. Out."

NerdyBirdAsh

Quote from: Aelia on May 25, 2010, 09:16:46 PM
As long as it covers all of your "naughty bits" and has no risk of slipping, and is not a police uniform, then there are no restrictions I can think of. Basically, as Fanime is a family-friendly event, as long as there are no parents asking us to have you put on more clothing, and we don't have any more skin showing than you might show at the local pool, we'll let it go.

As far as costume size, if you pose a moving hazard, and think that your costume might be a danger, I'd suggest skipping walking around in it. If you feel that you have a way of wearing it that will not mess you up, and wouldn't be a crowd danger, then please, do wear it.

No way any Janet Jackson-esque wardrobe malfunctions here! We're as covered up as covered up can be.
We cut out a large viewing hole in the front for visibility and as it's not terribly wide it's not like people wouldn't be able to get around us/we wouldn't block an entire hallway.

Mobility isn't a problem as we have clear spaces for our feet to take steps and not just shuffles that could potentially cause a fall.

Glad to know our hard work won't go to waste. <3
Attending FanimeCon for 15 years in 2019

JTchinoy

Quote from: Aelia on May 25, 2010, 09:16:46 PM
Quote from: JTchinoy on May 25, 2010, 12:46:31 PM

If you have a "custom" or "original" character which has been published pre-con on a website or in print or on film -- that is, it's on youtube, or deviantart, or has actually been published by a large retailer then we have a reference of some sort to establish that your character received some forethought and is not merely a result of an impulse-buy and a want to wear your new boken.

I'm not sure what "loophole" you mean, exactly. Say you need a shinai to complete your cosplay. If you are cosplaying a character which carries a shinai, why shouldn't you be able to carry a newly purchased one? If it's not a published character (in some format) we'll assume that your character is the result of an impulse buy, and it won't be peace-bonded.

perhaps my understanding of peacebonding is wrong since it's not my department, but my understanding is the carrying of most weapons that are potentially deadly can't be removed from their packaging and have to be taken to their room.  I've always been under the impression weapons from the dealer room like their Bleach replica swords would be considered potentially weapons and have to be taken to rooms.  My view is that this creates a loophole to carry weapons sold in the dealer room that would otherwise not be allowed.

As for the custom outfit, my interpretation of that question is that it means people who bring their own props to the con can't have those props if it's for a custom character that isn't published.  Since there's preparation for the prop, is this allowed?  Given not everyone publicly publishes their planned cosplays/ custom costumes, how will that work out?

I'm not cosplaying, but based solely on the printed weapons policy, these are rather gray areas from my interpretation.  The use of props in relation to a custom cosplay is indicating they can't have any props (to the full extent of the definition of a prop) unless it was published, and the term weapons in relation to the dealer room indicates that weapons from the dealer room are allowed as long as it's relevant to your outfit.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

xichisex

So a lot of you know that lolitas usually have umbrellas or cute canes and such, but as I was reading the weapons policy I noticed that it said that yes, umbrellas are alright, but it said nothing about canes even though mine is plastic. Sort of like a magician's cane. I had it last year, but is it okay this year? One part of the policy stated that some things aren't allowed unless it is a published character. ]= I don't publish my lolita clothing. What do I do? Should I just take it to the peace bonding room and ask if it is okay?

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

xichisex

So a lot of you know that lolitas usually have umbrellas or cute canes and such, but as I was reading the weapons policy I noticed that it said that yes, umbrellas are alright, but it said nothing about canes even though mine is plastic. Sort of like a magician's cane. I had it last year, but is it okay this year? One part of the policy stated that some things aren't allowed unless it is a published character. ]= I don't publish my lolita clothing. What do I do? Should I just take it to the peace bonding room and ask if it is okay?

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

loner

@aelia
sorry it wasnt meant to insult you, but past expieriences ive been having seeing how unfair ive been treated the past few years,ive been weary about alot of things....but like i said you have helped us alot! and the reason i wanted to bring a copy regardless if it will change the outcome or not is that as you know some of the other staff members wont follow the rules you made or thats been in the past year comvention.

sorry to insult you it really wasnt intentional, ive worked hard to make these costumes work under fanime rules, i just want the same treatment as any other cosplayers.

Somebody

Hello again.

I know you are all very busy and I truly hate to be a bother, but I wanted a confirmation on whether I had an acceptable publishing of my character. I was here earlier in the thread and happily had that dilemma solved but I'm afraid that what I've put up for my links may be mistaken for not far enough in development and wanted to make sure that wasn't the case. Although I myself know that she's fully developed, I haven't had a lot of time to draw her out again in full form to show her bottom half much, but I would be fully willing to do so if that's what I need.

Here's what I have:
http://amathera.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2q57l1
http://amathera.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2qghju

Do I need another/more?
Thank you so much for your time and all your hard work and effort.  :)
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Aelia

Quote from: T-1000 on May 24, 2010, 11:38:48 PM
This year I'm cosplaying as an Angelcore soldier who possess a Luger type gun, if I were to make this out of cardboard and paint it to match exactly like in the anime series, how would I be able to present this into the convention? Please help me out :D
Quote from: T-1000 on May 25, 2010, 10:47:01 PM
Is there a Rover here or a representative on the official 2010 weapons policy that can speak to me in personal message or personal email? I'm not sure if my post was visible due to the massive quoting/replying. I'd like to get an inside on if my costume's weapon would be presentable to fanime. Thanks.
That would be me. If you can show me pictures, this would be a lot easier. I'm not familiar with angelcore.
Quote from: JTchinoy on May 26, 2010, 12:45:08 AM
perhaps my understanding of peacebonding is wrong since it's not my department, but my understanding is the carrying of most weapons that are potentially deadly can't be removed from their packaging and have to be taken to their room.  I've always been under the impression weapons from the dealer room like their Bleach replica swords would be considered potentially weapons and have to be taken to rooms.  My view is that this creates a loophole to carry weapons sold in the dealer room that would otherwise not be allowed.

As for the custom outfit, my interpretation of that question is that it means people who bring their own props to the con can't have those props if it's for a custom character that isn't published.  Since there's preparation for the prop, is this allowed?  Given not everyone publicly publishes their planned cosplays/ custom costumes, how will that work out?

I'm not cosplaying, but based solely on the printed weapons policy, these are rather gray areas from my interpretation.  The use of props in relation to a custom cosplay is indicating they can't have any props (to the full extent of the definition of a prop) unless it was published, and the term weapons in relation to the dealer room indicates that weapons from the dealer room are allowed as long as it's relevant to your outfit.
If they bought a weapon in the dealer's hall which doesn't meet other peacebonding criteria, then they cannot carry it at con. Sure, it's supposed to be in a box or bag, but there are tons and tons and tons of dealers who ignore this. Regardless, unless it is a weapon which is OK under cosplay rules, then it cannot be carried.

It's not about pictures of your cosplay being posted in advance. It's about having a character which has been published. Having put forethought into your character, rather than being a person who wants to be "an original character" that wears jeans and a t-shirt and carries a katana (regardless of the status of katanas as live steel which cannot be carried anyway).

You're making a loophole where there isn't one, basically.

Quote from: xichisex on May 26, 2010, 01:33:23 AM
Mundane, everyday items like umbrellas and canes are not usually issues (even when paired with lolita costumes). Bring it by for peacebonding.

Quote from: loner on May 26, 2010, 07:02:09 AM
@aelia
sorry it wasnt meant to insult you, but past expieriences ive been having seeing how unfair ive been treated the past few years,ive been weary about alot of things....but like i said you have helped us alot! and the reason i wanted to bring a copy regardless if it will change the outcome or not is that as you know some of the other staff members wont follow the rules you made or thats been in the past year comvention.

sorry to insult you it really wasnt intentional, ive worked hard to make these costumes work under fanime rules, i just want the same treatment as any other cosplayers.
On the one hand, I knew you were not trying to insult me. On the other hand, you also know that you'll be working with me specifically to get peacebound, but you said you were bringing the policy. See where things sound bad?

I understand that you just want to get in and out and be OK to carry your props. I'll see you Thursday night after 5 or so (since I work until 4).

Quote from: Somebody on May 26, 2010, 07:07:51 AM
Hello again.

I know you are all very busy and I truly hate to be a bother, but I wanted a confirmation on whether I had an acceptable publishing of my character. I was here earlier in the thread and happily had that dilemma solved but I'm afraid that what I've put up for my links may be mistaken for not far enough in development and wanted to make sure that wasn't the case. Although I myself know that she's fully developed, I haven't had a lot of time to draw her out again in full form to show her bottom half much, but I would be fully willing to do so if that's what I need.

Here's what I have:

Do I need another/more?
Thank you so much for your time and all your hard work and effort.  :)
They look OK. You can take them down now if them being posted makes you feel that uncomfortable. Keep a link to this, instead if you'd rather.

That does constitute a "published character", though I am curious about what prop you intend to carry.
Director of Operations

loner

kk sorry, that was meant to be if I didnt get peacebonded by you one of the days. 8-10 costumes im eventually gonna miss you one of those costumes.

and by favoritism, one year i was denied one of my toy guns, they automatically said no airsofts before even looking at it (eventually kaos ok'd it) but the girl behind me had a 8 foot sniper rifle with NO  orange tip but they automatically ok'd that because they loved the character from the anime. That was the same year they gave me a hard time about my plush fish, but as far as thursday goes I probably wont be wearing anything that needs peacebonding, so ill see you friday, what time do you start on friday?

Aelia

Quote from: loner on May 26, 2010, 10:11:41 AM
kk sorry, that was meant to be if I didnt get peacebonded by you one of the days. 8-10 costumes im eventually gonna miss you one of those costumes.

and by favoritism, one year i was denied one of my toy guns, they automatically said no airsofts before even looking at it (eventually kaos ok'd it) but the girl behind me had a 8 foot sniper rifle with NO  orange tip but they automatically ok'd that because they loved the character from the anime. That was the same year they gave me a hard time about my plush fish, but as far as thursday goes I probably wont be wearing anything that needs peacebonding, so ill see you friday, what time do you start on friday?
I was initially going to be working mornings, but I'll now be working afternoons. Cassie is morning shift lead, and is a great peace-bonder, who knows the policy as well as I do (that is, she'll be glad to help you, too). I'll be in early afternoon (2pm, I think) officially, but will likely be lurking around all day Friday. People will be able to get ahold of me no matter what time (provided we're not talking 3am, when I will likely be just staggering off to bed).
Director of Operations

loner

ok thanks!
ill look for erin or cassie then, better get your rest in now!

billgoku

Yeah "vertical" is a good word to describe how I tend to carry it unless I'm posing or what not. So I shouldn't have an issue with them trying to bond it to myself I guess. Well I hope because I can't keep buying new props.
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

jchan707

I have a wooden flail/nunchuku that I made of dowels and chains.  I know they aren't allowed, but what if I zip-tied the chains and dowels together so they won't be able to move around.  Will that be permitted?
cosplay.com username --->  Lady Valentine

loner

hey jofran they might say no, especially if the chains are metal? maybe ask the to peace the flail to your waist? maybe?
anways does your sister want to be zombied on sat too?

T-1000

To Aeila, here's the picture containing my cosplay and weapon

"Get. Out."

jchan707

Quote from: loner on May 26, 2010, 02:48:17 PM
hey jofran they might say no, especially if the chains are metal? maybe ask the to peace the flail to your waist? maybe?
anways does your sister want to be zombied on sat too?

aw dangit...i think i'm just gonna take apart the chains and just have the dowels.

and she only wants to be zombified on sunday for the gathering =)  thanks!
cosplay.com username --->  Lady Valentine

Somebody

Quote from: Somebody on May 26, 2010, 07:07:51 AM
Hello again.

Here's what I have:

Do I need another/more?
Thank you so much for your time and all your hard work and effort.  :)
They look OK. You can take them down now if them being posted makes you feel that uncomfortable. Keep a link to this, instead if you'd rather.

That does constitute a "published character", though I am curious about what prop you intend to carry.

[/quote]

Oh, well the "prop" in question was the spurs. They were in the grey matter between prop and costume- or at least that was what I was under the impression of. I won't be carrying anything in the name of props with the costume-she isn't a super trained fighter person. xD I'll leave the art up just in case, just to be safe. :D Thanks!
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty