Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

BunofGovt

Not sure if this has been mentioned, because what I've seen being mentioned of signs/props refer to those soliciting, etc.  But, and I expect to get beaned for mentioning this, but what about the street signs carried by the Durara cosplayers?  Outside at the photo gathering they were fine, but I saw someone in the artists' alley carrying one who got stopped for a photo.  He actually lifted the sign up in the air in a half swing to pose and nearly hit someone walking behind him!  This was late Monday so the room was not that crowded, fortunately.  I was walking the other way and didn't say anything, which I should have, but really, if the person HAD been hit, that would have been terrible.  Do you think posting signs (sorry) on the doors into the dealers' hall and artists' alley, and other halls cautioning against lifting or raising swords, poles, etc. would help?  Either that, or you may have to ban photos and posing in specific areas (AX is like that, the staff is always hovering nearby to tell you where you may and may not take pictures).
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Aelia

Quote from: BunofGovt on June 03, 2010, 09:37:08 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, because what I've seen being mentioned of signs/props refer to those soliciting, etc.  But, and I expect to get beaned for mentioning this, but what about the street signs carried by the Durara cosplayers?  Outside at the photo gathering they were fine, but I saw someone in the artists' alley carrying one who got stopped for a photo.  He actually lifted the sign up in the air in a half swing to pose and nearly hit someone walking behind him!  This was late Monday so the room was not that crowded, fortunately.  I was walking the other way and didn't say anything, which I should have, but really, if the person HAD been hit, that would have been terrible.  Do you think posting signs (sorry) on the doors into the dealers' hall and artists' alley, and other halls cautioning against lifting or raising swords, poles, etc. would help?  Either that, or you may have to ban photos and posing in specific areas (AX is like that, the staff is always hovering nearby to tell you where you may and may not take pictures).

Strictly speaking, we were allowing the Durara cosplayers, and signs which characters actually carry. This seems to, at some point, been interpreted as absolutely no signs, but it was no signs without a costume to justify.

Awareness of surroundings is something we battle with. I would love to say "no photography in X, Y, or Z places" but the trouble is enforcement. It is worth considering though. *ponder ponder ponder*
Director of Operations

azreale

just a question for next year:  are yoyo's aloud? its kind of big and doesn't work well... ill be lucky to get it to walk the dog... haha but would that be allowed or no? (for a possiblle bridget cosplay from guilty gear)
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Quote from: azreale on June 05, 2010, 08:03:13 PM
just a question for next year:  are yoyo's aloud? its kind of big and doesn't work well... ill be lucky to get it to walk the dog... haha but would that be allowed or no? (for a possiblle bridget cosplay from guilty gear)
Yo-Yo's fall into that "mundane objects which are not weapons" area, so yeah, it'd be fine.
Director of Operations

Dagger-6

Or would it count as a "flail" weapon...hmm....

Again, my personal stance is that as long as you can behave like an adult and resist the urge to swing it around your head and remain aware of your surroundings and those nearby, it should be allowed.  Just don't go down in Fanime history as "That Bridget that got yo-yos banned"

azreale

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Like the one Sango carries?

That would be OK-- it would be an oversize prop we'd expect you to carry vertically.

As of June 18, 2010, we have a new thread for the weapons policy and peace-bonding questions HERE
Director of Operations

azreale

Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 07:33:58 PM

That would be OK-- it would be an oversize prop we'd expect you to carry vertically.

As of June 18, 2010, we have a new thread for the weapons policy and peace-bonding questions HERE

yup thats the one. is it alright to hold it horizontally for photos?

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Aelia

Quote from: azreale on June 18, 2010, 10:14:05 PM
Quote from: Aelia on June 18, 2010, 07:33:58 PM

yup thats the one. is it alright to hold it horizontally for photos?
As long as you verify that you do, in fact, have the space and you're not doing it in the middle of dealer's hall then yeah, that's fine.
Director of Operations

BSaphire

I'm locking this thread. The Peacebonding Queen has set up the 2011 thread here:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14641.0.html

Please go there with all your questions, but be sure and read the info provided already in the first 3 posts. I'm sure there is something in there to help answer your question. If not, then post Aelia and she will get back to you wit an answer.  All hail the Peacebonding Queen! All hail Rovers! 2011 is shaping up early to help make it even better than 2010!
Squidges
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC