Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

kimu

And while I got puzzled looks from con ops taking in a fake cherry blossom branch in for peace bonding--it was because I technically could be stupid and whack someone over the head with it?
So I wanted it clear I was in compliance....out of amusement, I still have last year's Fanime peace tie on it.

I'd like to support what Charis said about not damaging our props putting them on.
And yes, please leave us enough slack space to cut the ties off after con.

Jerry

Quote from: kimu on February 01, 2010, 11:26:57 PM
And while I got puzzled looks from con ops taking in a fake cherry blossom branch in for peace bonding--it was because I technically could be stupid and whack someone over the head with it?
So I wanted it clear I was in compliance....out of amusement, I still have last year's Fanime peace tie on it.

Just remember there is a difference between Con Ops and Rovers.

Yes, you should still bring in your all your props/ items / wepaons [ when properly paired off ] while your wearing cosplay to be peace bonded.

I'll note the issue of how tight zip ties should be maintained and I'll bring it up at the next Rover meeting/training.
We'll get back to you as soon as possible. :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Jerry on January 26, 2010, 03:49:41 PM
I forgot about the rules about gun types props...  :P

Hopefully Steve [or others] could clarify, but because of its cartoony style it doesnt look like a replica gun.

i think we've been okay with Nerf type weapons because their usually large- and specifically designed not to look like real gun. [however the nerf type should NOT be loaded for obvious safety reason]--- now come to think of it we may have banned weapons that have the capability to projectile anything [including water guns] so I may have just contradicted myself >_<

The issue now is because of its smaller size and slightly has the 'gun' shape. but if you keep the obvious cone shape from its design i would like think it would be allowable.

again i could be completely wrong. I need another opinion is in order.
I am planning on keeping the original shape as much as possible.

Thank you for the reply. I'll wait for a second opinion. :D

(Last year, I took a fake spray can in to be peace bonded... the lady working there thought I was crazy, but she managed to get it peace bonded for me anyway, using two zip ties since it was too large for one. XD;; I didn't want anyone to think it could have been a real can, not that it looked real anyway...)

billgoku

Quote from: Jerry on January 31, 2010, 10:42:03 PM
Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on January 30, 2010, 03:30:38 PM
Could very well have been a different person that did the peacebonding.

that might have been the case in point---
we do our best to train/ practice with our staff [Rovers peace bonding and weapons check staff] to make sure they stay consistent with the rules and guidelines that follow both SJPD codes as well as the safety conducts of the SJCC ---

unfortunately we do admit that sometimes some cosplayers / weapons may go un checked or get peace bonded when they may or may NOT be "allowable" weapons / prop per conditions.

WE apologize for any confusion and/or misgiving you may have.

as a REMINDER - you have to right to make sure the person peace bonding you or weapon/prop checking you IS AN ACTUAL ROVER with PROPER FANIME 2010 PEACE BOND TIES [yes they ACTUALLY SAY Fanime 2010 on them]

we had some issue with people posing as ROVERs staff and/or using their own colored peace bonds to claim as their weapon/prop as "checked" when it officially was not.

again its the honor and safety for yourself and those around you. so we try our best to keep the rules enforced evenly though its tough to get to thousands of cosplayers all around SJCC as well as around the entire downtown area. :P

if you have any major concerns or issues, dont hesitate to contact via our staff email.

Thanks!

No, I asked each and everyone of the individual cosplayers who checked out their swords, they all described the same guy, and this is the same person who I've had issues with in past years, as well as others I've came across, mentioning how rude person in question was. Not sure if he remembered me and was just doing it out of spit..but who knows there. I believe I even spoke to you Jerry about this same guy 2 years ago when he seemingly without caring damaged a very expensive prop I had wrapping the ties around extremely tight and frankly just gave me a sour attitude the whole time. Last year he was a bit more mellow but I could tell he still had that very same chip on his shoulder. My other issue was them making me bond a sword thats half my height to my waist, that was very hard to walk with. They weren't using their better judgement in my opinion.
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

alice_the_great

for fanime this year my bf wants to do vincent from ffvii for fanime. I suggested that he make his foot armor out of copper but he says that its against fanime policy. I know that they don't welcome live metal but do you really think that they would disallow something like metal shoes? (copper being one of the softest metals too)

ixRenegade

-edit-
Nvm, question got answered~

TokenBlackGuy

Could anyone tell me the policy on swords and blade replicas and all that stuff, i can't seem to find anything on it.
Deviantart Profile. http://tokenblackguy1991.deviantart.com/

My Cosplay. TBA

OH MY GAWD YOU ARE SO NEEDY!!!!!

michiko nakano

read this thread, the policy is explained five or six times.  also you can email the rovers~~

Rodney_Pheonix

Technically if someone is cosplaying Edward Elric, or a character that fights hand to hand shouldn't they get their hands peacebound?
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Aishasama

What is the con policy with regards to body armor made of steel? this would be leg armor, shoe armor, arm armor, and chest armor.

michiko nakano

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on February 07, 2010, 12:12:25 PM
Technically if someone is cosplaying Edward Elric, or a character that fights hand to hand shouldn't they get their hands peacebound?
well, that would be LARPing, not just cosplaying.  But interesting thought!  Then again, you can't peacebond ninjas.  Or Chuck Norris.  Actually, Chuck Norris can peacebond you just by looking at you.  And he'll do it so hard it'll leave an exit wound.

Jerry

Not to be a spoil sport  :-[

but please, back to the topic at hand only.

Jerry

Quote from: alice_the_great on February 04, 2010, 09:40:56 PM
for fanime this year my bf wants to do vincent from ffvii for fanime. I suggested that he make his foot armor out of copper but he says that its against fanime policy. I know that they don't welcome live metal but do you really think that they would disallow something like metal shoes? (copper being one of the softest metals too)

in short- the rule originally was NO LIVE Steel.
this technically is more toward bladed weapons, such as knives, daggers, throwing stars, swords and covers ALOT of metal sharpened OR NOT.

metal is metal just like how a shovel is a NO GO.

as for your " FEET ARMOUR " technically speaking so long as you dont intend to kick someone or that the metal shoes you speak of do not have sharp edgings like say ice skates... I think its one of the "grey" area that need to be approved by upper Rovers staff.

again we are working on updating our weapons policy for 2010 and will try to post them ASAP. For not because if your planning to use "real metal" i would advise against it...

again real hardcore cosplayers can make props/weapons/accessories without having to use metal. You may want to ask the question in the Cosplayers help threads and they may have suggests for you that will work out better.

rara87jon

If I wanted to bring a wooden walking cane (about waist high, no metal tip/live steel) as a prop, would I have to have it peace bonded to my hip / costume?  Having a cane tied to my side would be awkward (and render the reason of having a cane pointless) but I can see the resemblance it has to a wooden kendo sword.  Thanks in advance to any responses =).

Jerry

Quote from: rara87jon on February 08, 2010, 01:21:28 AM
If I wanted to bring a wooden walking cane (about waist high, no metal tip/live steel) as a prop, would I have to have it peace bonded to my hip / costume?  Having a cane tied to my side would be awkward (and render the reason of having a cane pointless) but I can see the resemblance it has to a wooden kendo sword.  Thanks in advance to any responses =).

Walking Canes by definition are allowed by Public as a general "walking assistance Item" - now assuming you have no pre-existing medical conditions... I would like to think you should be able to walk fine on your own.

Again the issue here is "safety" for you and others around you and because it IS a convention--- the short answer would be "sure bring it in" we try our best to discreetly peace bond /  zip tie as a checked item only--- it and off you go.

It would NOT be "tied to you" as common sense would make that awkward and thus be a pointless prop item.

What we'd really be concerned with is that you take that walking Cane and starting swinging it above your head.... THAT would be an issue.

rara87jon

Thanks for the response Jerry, and rest assured I will not be swinging it around. :)

Xicor01

---If i have a rather large cardboard and pvc scythe for my grim reaper cosplay
will i have any issues when peace bonding it?
---Also i have rather large (moveable) wings,
will there be issues with that during the con if i have necessary room when posing?

Satoi

Quote from: Jerry on February 07, 2010, 09:52:05 PM
...real hardcore cosplayers can make props/weapons/accessories without having to use metal...

While this is certainly true, there are some clear benefits to using metal for articulated joints, like shoes.  I am working on armored shoes similar to Vincent's and I have reviewed several possible materials to use and non-metal materials all have some significant drawbacks.  
* Vacuum formed plastics are expensive and too brittle at the joints.
* Paper mache can be reinforced at the joints, but cannot take complex curves without adding too much bulk for shoes.
* Craft foam lacks the rigidity to form the structural pieces I need.
* 20 gauge steel, however, is cheap, lightweight, able to take complex curves and malleable enough to not snap under stress yet rigid enough to hold the structure I need.  In addition, the material is hand bendable and if I did kick someone or something, the steel would deform more than the other materials I have investigated with the exception of craft foam and the edges are easily rolled to prevent cutting danger.

It is possible to make the shoes without metal and if the official policy is "no metal" then I guess I have no choice, however in this case I believe that metal is clearly the superior material and that there is no additional danger to other attendees by using it.

Finally, the con is rapidly approaching and I need to get started on the shoes, but without clear direction on the official policy I hesitate to commit to a material yet.  Please address this issue in the official policy as leaving it a grey area opens us attendees to the risk of putting in hours of effort into our costumes in good faith only to be denied wearing it at the con.

edit: Yes, I have emailed [email protected] and am awaiting their reply.

michiko nakano

just from my point of view... i don't see how having metal on your shoes would be against the policy.  I mean, i know they're pointed and stuff, but you're not going to risk ruining your costume just so you can kick someone anyways, so what's the worry?  why would you kick someone while wearing awesome shoes??  soooo many cosplays are going to require delicate or potentially dangerous things.  The people who create the animes and mangas don't care about fanime's weapons policy, and cosplayers should be able to cosplay. 

i understand having no swords and other weapons, but pointed shoes (that the cosplayer would NOT ruin on purpose, let alone hurt people on purpose) should be okay.  people cosplay vincent all the time. 

belt buckles, shoe laces, hair pins, spikey goth collars, even con badges and cell phones... they are all dangerous if used dangerously. 

they are also completely harmless if used harmlessly.  same goes for cosplay accessories, in my opinion.

Jerry

remember theres a difference between "Live Steel" and "metal containing objects"

as michi has pointed out metal can be found in every day objects like normal belts and stuff, but of course in the wrong hangs it can do some serious damage.

again going of the jumping point that you will not use this shoe guards as a weapon- I would like to think your shoe accessories will not be an issue. I'll bug my higher ups to look for your feet armor e-mail and have them respond to you ASAP.

Good luck with your cosplaying creation and keep those questions coming as I'll do my best o answer them with the support of my upper Exec staff. :)