Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

Jerry

Quote from: jeremytran21 on March 26, 2010, 08:27:10 PM
Am I Able To Bring A Bat? Metal? Wood?

I heard from a friend that, if you would to bring a weapon that I have to go somewhere to sign some papers to make promises or something. Is that true? My first year going to fanime x] haha

my recommendation is a large toy bat. preferably one made out of foam.

metal = no good at con    wood = still lots of potential dangers.

and of course the common sense check that the part IS part of a cosplayer / character that actually exist and not some random character you decided to create just so u could carry it around.

finally there is no "signing" going on--- tho if you read thru this thread there is a "peace bonding" agreement which means there will be a zip tie tied to your cosplay item/weapon which means youve spoken to fanime staff that will you not do bad things with said items

again there is a general staff meeting this sunday --- and i hope to hear from  my higher ups so we can finally post the weapons / cosplay props  policy

again PLEASE Send and and ALL questions to [email protected]

thanks!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

jeremytran21

thelifeoftehparty

Okay, so I;ve read everything and I'm pretty sure my question hasn't been answered but if it has then I'm slow. ~_~;;;

Anyway. So i'm going to have this sort of giant cannon gun thing, I don't have a picture of it yet but it's based off of this, since I'll be cosplaying her:

It's going to be made out of cardboard, craftfoam... really soft maerials. And to hold it my hand goes inside it since it's basically this giant tube. And this is my first time cosplaying with any prop sooo... I don't really know anything. @.@; It's going to be painted to look like a black metal but the inside of it will be an ice blue.

Is that okay?

Mi Feng

Question about peacebonding; can I peacebond all of my props at the same time or do I have to be in that certain costume. I was planning to peacebond all of my props on Friday when it would be less hectic.

Jerry

Quote from: Mi Feng on March 29, 2010, 12:19:30 AM
Question about peacebonding; can I peacebond all of my props at the same time or do I have to be in that certain costume. I was planning to peacebond all of my props on Friday when it would be less hectic.

unfortunately, from how our policies are -

all items/props/ weapons --- may only be peace bonded while in the appropriate cosplay at the time of "bonding"

If you REALLY need to make special arrangements to get ALL your items peace bounded at the same time I would reccommend contacting " [email protected] " and try to work something out with my department heads.

but technically they may say no, so again sorry for the inconvenience. >_<

Jerry

Quote from: thelifeoftehparty on March 28, 2010, 12:42:21 PM

Is that okay?

Yes, if made out of cardboard, or non metal items this will be acceptable.

rule of thumb with "gun like weapons" ---- if the item is "unusually large" [usually bigger or longer than the cosplayer using it] then it should be acceptable due to the fact that its unlikely [crossing fingers] not to be real.

Other examples would be from Gurren Laagan like Yoko's massive rifle/gun and stuff like that.

Hopefully that info helps.

the weapons policy has been submitted and confirmed--- now just to get the link from my Rover's department heads...

will try to get that posted ASAP ---

less than 2 months cosplayers... DONT PROCRASTINATE!!! Good luck everyone! :D

Foxberry

Ah, my turn I think. Two things...

1.) Paperweight/Paperweight-Cardboard items.

2.) 1 is a katana like cardboard item and it's black, it's not finished yet and a friend's making it for me. However because it is cardboard I would not want to attach it to my back or zipped to my side in fears that it may very well get damaged. It does not have a sheath because the character doesn't call for one (Black Rock Shooter) and I am short 5'4" so zipping it to my back or my side may cause issues of dragging it on the ground or making it difficult to get through doorways if attached to my back.

3.) Current work in progress here of my paperweight pistol: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/089/6/2/Korbens_Pistol_WIP2_Side2_by_koke_momo.jpg I will be painting the tip and butt of the gun orange, just wanted to make sure that it's alright.

4.) Because both of these are paperweight/cardboard I was very worried about their durability with the ziptie. I don't know how true it is; however I have heard things from previous attendees of how ConOps zips the weapons quick and tight. Is it alright if I ask if it's a bit looser? Not to the point of falling off but not where it's completely snug because I /am/ worried about the fact that these are paperweight props.

Somebody

QuoteNO LIVE STEEL
-> which includes swords, knives, kunai, throwing daggers, blades, cane swords, concealed sharp edged items of ANY Kind.

IF YOU PURCHASE A SWORD - blade or knife type item from the Dealers Hall - are your REQUIRED to immediately store and NOT open/remove/unsheathe any of these items whatsoever.

Rules are Rules ---- Thanks!

Alright, I've finally finished reading through this thread. After reading the No Live Steele policy a bunch of times and a few interesting pieces about armor for feet, I'm adding another thought to this.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed (so just making sure xP) what about spurs? They are real and metal, very round (the beginning rider kind, not like the deadly kind you see hanging in museums) but I was pretty sure they were out of the question because they are metal. I would post a picture, but can't figure out how. (I did click the insert image button, but after that I was confused because nothing happened other than surrounding text for it was added -.-')
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

michiko nakano

Xepherian

Brought from my foolish post on the 2009 thread:

I am asking a question(s) as this may affect me and my group's plan at FanimeCon 2010.

1 ) Are Nerf Swords affected by this weapons policy?
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/185-8256824-0332338?asin=B00284C4GO&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|B00284C4GO&CPNG=toys&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001

2 ) Are expanding lightsabers affected by this weapons policy?
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=lightsaber+toy&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=13952301542916162918&ei=fgC0S8qTN5XUMsi1-OwJ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CC0Q8gIwAw#

This isn't a real cosplay, we're just putting on a show, really.
Just me and my friends are going to walk around the con slowly in snuggies, [like jedi knights?]
then immediately erupt into a Ninja Battle in the Arcade using the Nerf Swords and/or Lightsabers to attack instead of our hands.

Jerry

Quote from: Xepherian on April 09, 2010, 07:28:01 AM
This isn't a real cosplay, we're just putting on a show, really.
Just me and my friends are going to walk around the con slowly in snuggies, [like jedi knights?]
then immediately erupt into a Ninja Battle in the Arcade using the Nerf Swords and/or Lightsabers to attack instead of our hands.

Admitting this might be an issue - Sure we're okay with your own cosplay made up characters - but running around with nerf guns and play swords and horseplaying within busy crowds isnt really appreciated.  >:(

As mentioned before you really should e-mail   RoversATfanimeDOTcom

I'm not trying to be a buzzkill but its for the safety of the other fan con goers around you.

Yukari Kaiba

sooooooo any word on when we're going to see a weapon's policy yet?
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Lady Saru

For my costume, I'm going to have a prop chainsaw. It'll be this, painted. Would I not be allowed to have this, or could it still be peacebonded? It doesn't appear to have moving parts.

And if I cannot, the next step is scissors, which I assume I'd need peacebonded. *sigh* No time for doll sewing...
Cosplay:
Grell Sutcliffe
Marchesa version (B&W ball)

CroutonicSarcasm

I'm going to be cosplaying China from Axis Powers Hetalia, and I'm wondering if his wok and ladle thing is alright. They're basic items and have NO sharp edges at all, but they are made of metal. Are they alright? The wok is a little over a foot wide in the actual round part and the ladle, I believe, is somewhere between one and two feet (I don't have it yet, but that's the one I want to get).

If they aren't okay because they're metal, can I put something on the edges of the wok and the ladle so it's soft and even duller to make it safer?

Here's a picture to show what it's going to be. China is the one on the left with the wok and ladle, obviously, but... yeah. And no, I don't plan on beating people up with them like China. LOL I'm sorry they're chibi in the picture-- it's the only way you see both items in the anime.

Thank you~
Friday: Secret Cosplay
Saturday: Freud -- Afterschool Charisma
Sunday: Prussia -- Hetalia

CroutonicSarcasm

Quote from: CroutonicSarcasm on April 10, 2010, 12:21:30 PM
I'm going to be cosplaying China from Axis Powers Hetalia, and I'm wondering if his wok and ladle thing is alright. They're basic items and have NO sharp edges at all, but they are made of metal. Are they alright? The wok is a little over a foot wide in the actual round part and the ladle, I believe, is somewhere between one and two feet (I don't have it yet, but that's the one I want to get).

If they aren't okay because they're metal, can I put something on the edges of the wok and the ladle so it's soft and even duller to make it safer?

Here's a picture to show what it's going to be. China is the one on the left with the wok and ladle, obviously, but... yeah. And no, I don't plan on beating people up with them like China. LOL I'm sorry they're chibi in the picture-- it's the only way you see both items in the anime.

Thank you~

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j37/Gaara_2792/het18p14.jpg

Whoops. Apparently, my computer didn't paste url. Sorry. There it is.
Friday: Secret Cosplay
Saturday: Freud -- Afterschool Charisma
Sunday: Prussia -- Hetalia

LightYagami

hi, i'm new here and my brothers,sisters, nephews and friends are going as random bleach type characters. and we were wondering can we bring the wooden cosplay swords? and what are the rules with weapon props? what are the rules with having weapon cosplay?

OGIGA

Quote from: KindaRandomKris on March 11, 2010, 11:33:38 PM
Quote from: michiko nakano on March 10, 2010, 06:59:56 PM
Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 10, 2010, 12:58:07 PM
Quote from: Jerry on March 10, 2010, 09:01:07 AM
Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 10, 2010, 12:29:03 AM
I'm planing to bring a bow and arrow set to go with my cosplay. Are there any restrictions?

Another good question --- i'm guessing if its a non-working Bow and Arrow --- meaning the bow does NOT actually pull back and the arrow is not to be used as a projectile in ANY shape or form

now posing with the arrow as of going to be shot of course is ok - but if the arrow is actually shoot-able... then we're gonna have some issues.

I'll ask at the meeting this Saturday.  :)

thank you.

The bow will be full functional (trying to make it somewhat realistic as possible) but the arrows are just going to be sticks with feathers and maybe a foam or soft rubber head (don't know yet) that I'm making myself. Highly doubt it'll hurt someone.

Once you know something could you please tell me asap? I'm working on the arrows already.
yeah i'm gonna need at least one bow as well... and it's kindof impossible to make it not shootable unless you have a string that hangs with like two feet of slack.  which is ridiculous.  so perhaps there could be some more lenient rules than "not shootable" perhaps like saying that the string has to be made of elastic cord or something so that it can be realistic looking but not easily shot with.

Last year I had a bow to go with my costume, and I carved it out of styrofoam (covered in papier mache, etc). I used a fairly slack elastic string, so the entire thing was absolutely nonfunctional. When I went to get it peacebonded, I was required to remove the string.
Not sure if that was actually part of the policy, or if it will be this year, just wanted to share what my experience was.
Last year, I had a bow and no arrow. Nothing to shoot and can't hurt anyone. One peace-bonder gave me a hard time. I guess she was not trained well. She wouldn't peace-bond it and made me leave because I couldn't remove the string. What did I do? I took it to the main rovers or Con Ops office place and they peace bonded it with no problems at all.

The main problem that Ms. Hardhead had was the string. I didn't have my pliers to unscrew it and she wouldn't let me use hers. But even if I did have pliers on me, what keeps me from removing the string, getting it peace bonded, and then reattaching the string?

The rules are for kids and workers are mostly kids. In my opinion, serious cosplayers have a seriously hard time at conventions because of silliness.

bsan89

During Fanime 2009  One of my friend from Fremont cosplay as one of the MGS4 character. (The one that wear the sunglasses)
One of his prop was a "SCAR" a tan color assault rifle. It look pretty real to me.

Yet I met him in the Fanime Market with the gun sling to his chest. His weapon like most weapon I saw during Fanime2009 was
embedded with "YELLOW TIE WRAP". He said, as long as he doesn't look like he has a "hostile intent" he was allow to walk anywhere with it.

LightYagami

okay so i have bleach or anime wooden swords, i can just have them strapped to my side or my back and it won't be a problem?

Segakid3

I'm going to be cosplaying as Richter Belmont. I was wondering if I can bring a prop leather whip?