Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Jerry on April 20, 2010, 04:58:36 PM
again: individual cosplaying experiences may vary.

@ Rodyney --- sorry but again there is a ZERO TOLERANCE against airsoft weapons on site.
again the "grey area" is the fountain and cosplay/photo ops areas but again you will be asked [probably several times] by several different rovers to either put it away or hide it in your room/car.

So presumably that extends to a plastic shell that's been converted into nonoperable present and future.

My question about the Pine/Balsa knife also wasn't addressed, which would be nice before I jump in and start work on that, considering I could be using time working on that for a false Oxy-fuel rig, that I can pack the Oxy canister with Ice and a couple Nalgenes of water.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Jerry

Rovers Base will be on several locations-

Main base is on the Marriot side - 2nd Floor.
again please note the signs because there is a difference between Rovers & Con Ops [ theyre two different departments ]

Cosplayers may only be allowed to have their items peace bonded while in costume- sorry for the inconvenience, but its part of the rules.

We will also have peace bonding locations near Stage Zero and possibly at other random info booth around the convention floor [staff numbers numbers permitting].

Rovers base will be operating as early as Thursday night the same time the Pre-reg attendee badge pick up only at the Registration area.

Less than 40 days and counting. Get Hype for Fanime.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Charis

Quote from: Jerry on April 21, 2010, 07:36:02 AMCosplayers may only be allowed to have their items peace bonded while in costume- sorry for the inconvenience, but its part of the rules.

This is a change, yes?  I remember in the past going to Peacebonding with my entire collection for the weekend (the weapons extend over several cosplays), both to make things easier on myself and on the staff (since I'm only coming in there once).

I wish you'd reconsider this one -- I know a lot of cosplayers like to just hit Peacebonding once, so they don't have to worry about things later when they're rushing for a shoot or whatever.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Jerry

that would have to be approved by my heads - as to not to give the impression of favoritism since some poster *cough cough* think they above the rules and what not.

I could totally understand a veteran cosplayer who sometimes may have up to 5 costume changes in one day [and yes i think your crazy dedicated ;)] then please e-mail

Rovers[at]fanime[dot]com  for clarification on that "multiple item -> multiple cosplay" peace bonding rule to help you save time and convenience.

Get hype 4 Fanime!

ReixChu

Fanime 2011:
Friday:
After School Charisma- Shiro
Vocaloid- Shh
Nico- Sekihan
Saturday:
Shugo Chara- Death Rebel
??- ??(hint: itsa secret)
Karakuri Burst Len
Sunday:
Super sailor moon
Ciel Phantomhive
Touhouvania Remilia
Monday:
DRRR Izaya

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: Jerry on April 21, 2010, 07:36:02 AM

Cosplayers may only be allowed to have their items peace bonded while in costume- sorry for the inconvenience, but its part of the rules.

what is the reasoning/logic behind this? (just out of curiosity, I'm in the same position as Charis)
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Jerry

the original thinking behind this [before cosplayers had 10 different costume changes in one day] is that any person/cosplayer could "say" that they are going to have a costume change that same day/fanime weekend and will want to peace bond say and entire armada [say 10+ items] of weapons/props.

the worry here is liability again --- technically speaking you can only cospay one character at a time so you wouldnt need to carry a huge assortment of weapons/props with you.

That and say a NPC [ non playing/cosplaying chracter ] will pick up or walk around with a prop with a peacebond but not properly in cosplay and hypothetically causing a ruckus with it.

So again - we realize that having you go back and forth several times in one day between cosplay props would be tedious and time consuming, but at the same time Fanime doesnt want to be shut down because a non-cosplayer person causes trouble with items peace-bonded all at once thru a rule following cosplayer.

again i dont think there should be an issue with my Rover department heads, but the preference is one cosplay = maybe 3 cosplay items to be bonded max.

just please dont bring an armada of weapons, props and items to be bonded all at once, and for us to believe you really have 10 cosplay changes in ONE DAY  :P  then again with the way some cosplayers are... i could kinda believe it.

BSaphire

Quote from: Jerry on April 21, 2010, 04:54:10 PM
So again - we realize that having you go back and forth several times in one day between cosplay props would be tedious and time consuming, but at the same time Fanime doesnt want to be shut down because a non-cosplayer person causes trouble with items peace-bonded all at once thru a rule following cosplayer.

again i dont think there should be an issue with my Rover department heads, but the preference is one cosplay = maybe 3 cosplay items to be bonded max.

just please dont bring an armada of weapons, props and items to be bonded all at once, and for us to believe you really have 10 cosplay changes in ONE DAY  :P  then again with the way some cosplayers are... i could kinda believe it.
Jerry I just want to tell you that I have met some HARD CORE cosplayers that have done 5 gatherings, Cosplay Masq and then two private photo shoots in just one day, though I think after that moment they were heading for a costume change again... but yeah some are that serious :)
Any how I just want to make sure that everyone is aware that I have talked with the head and second of Rovers for a peacebonding station next to the gatherings table. This will assist some of you that have three and four gatherings a day. I just wanted to throw that reminder out there. :)
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

akira_chan

I hate to sound stupid, but what is the point of having said props peacebonded if there's a possibility of someone to cause a ruckus with them if they're out of costume? Isn't it the individuals responsibility and not Fanime's once the item is peacebonded? The getting all props and weapons peacebonded in costume seems like a huge hassle, mainly for those who will be wearing their costumes to masquerade. Not only that, but with weapons and props policy still not posted and this close to fanime, it would be a shame if someone spent time creating a prop for a skit that didn't pass prop and weapons policy and their only time to find this out would be hours before they were to get on stage. I understand you are trying to cover all angles here to make sure people don't pose threats to those not in the know and keep people safe, but honestly, having people to be in their costume that corresponds with their props/weapons doesn't seem like it will remedy a lot of things and instead slow the policy down, not to mention let a lot of people slip and negate the rules.

So yeah, with it being like 40 or so days before Fanime, it'd be super if we got a solid weapons and props policy for those who are trying to do costumes that are weapon and prop laden, instead of arguing with people who are stating that they've had issues with policies not being concrete.

the original thinking behind this [before cosplayers had 10 different costume changes in one day] is that any person/cosplayer could "say" that they are going to have a costume change that same day/fanime weekend and will want to peace bond say and entire armada [say 10+ items] of weapons/props.

the worry here is liability again --- technically speaking you can only cospay one character at a time so you wouldnt need to carry a huge assortment of weapons/props with you.

That and say a NPC [ non playing/cosplaying chracter ] will pick up or walk around with a prop with a peacebond but not properly in cosplay and hypothetically causing a ruckus with it.

loner

for some reason they think i was making up my stories! lol

Quote from: akira_chan on April 22, 2010, 02:32:28 AM
I hate to sound stupid, but what is the point of having said props peacebonded if there's a possibility of someone to cause a ruckus with them if they're out of costume? Isn't it the individuals responsibility and not Fanime's once the item is peacebonded? The getting all props and weapons peacebonded in costume seems like a huge hassle, mainly for those who will be wearing their costumes to masquerade. Not only that, but with weapons and props policy still not posted and this close to fanime, it would be a shame if someone spent time creating a prop for a skit that didn't pass prop and weapons policy and their only time to find this out would be hours before they were to get on stage. I understand you are trying to cover all angles here to make sure people don't pose threats to those not in the know and keep people safe, but honestly, having people to be in their costume that corresponds with their props/weapons doesn't seem like it will remedy a lot of things and instead slow the policy down, not to mention let a lot of people slip and negate the rules.

So yeah, with it being like 40 or so days before Fanime, it'd be super if we got a solid weapons and props policy for those who are trying to do costumes that are weapon and prop laden, instead of arguing with people who are stating that they've had issues with policies not being concrete.

BSaphire

With no Current Weapons and Peace Bonding policy for 2010 currently available for a policy discussion, I am strongly suggesting that this topic get back on track. When I start getting contacted about construction of props questions off forum I am dismayed because it is not as constructive as it could be. This thread was designed to have cosplayers help other cosplayers and if possible help answer some questions that have been posed in the past.

So let's ALL take this back on track so that we may ALL benefit from each others knowledge. If you have a past W & P COMPLAINT take it to rovers[at]fanime[dot]com. If You have a prior staff issue take it to another section of the forums for staff and volunteers to find out where to direct it form there.

Everyone's cooperation in taking this thread back on topic would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sincerely
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Charis

Thanks again, Jerry -- I e-mailed a question in about the multiple props/weapons (and included my long-ago request about leaving zipties loose enough that we can cut them off without damaging the paint job underneath).  I'll post whatever response I get here for everyone if it'll be helpful.

Aikra_chan: My understanding of general peacebonding policy is that it's a tacit agreement to abide by the rules.  No one really things that the zip tie is actually going to keep you from, say, beaning someone over the head with your huge foam-and-fibreglass Final Fantasy sword, but by getting it peace-bonded you are agreeing to Fanime's policies.  Just for whatever that's worth.

It *would* be nice to see a policy go live soon.  I hope it's not on the same lines as Masquerade, where the rules went live regrettably last-minute for registration.
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

Dany

Quote from: Charis on April 22, 2010, 08:18:47 AM
It *would* be nice to see a policy go live soon.  I hope it's not on the same lines as Masquerade, where the rules went live regrettably last-minute for registration.

I emailed Rovers a while back, and they got back to me in about a week with an answer that was strong enough that we could move forward with construction (the answer from Rovers would affect the final materials used). Not sure how the turnaround is now, but I would say that if you have a question that may not be an easy answer, to bring it to the Rovers email, especially if you prefer to keep a costume on the quiet side. With the timeline shortening, it seems like the best bet until the Policy is made

As for Masquerade's rules, the way I read what they have at the moment is that they are basing their decision on the Policy. Now, since the Policy is not yet available, the alternative would be to go directly to Rovers and see where a weapon would stand presently, then bring that data to the Masquerade director.

Not sure if that makes sense, but that's what I'm working with. :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Avairrianna

Ok I have a quick question. Would a gun like this:

http://img.hisupplier.com/var/userImages/old/manfo/manfo$922143447.jpg

(Sorry for the link)

Be ok with all broken moving parts (the trigger) and sprayed a safety color leaving the orange tip?
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Jerry

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 22, 2010, 10:19:56 AM

(Sorry for the link)

Be ok with all broken moving parts (the trigger) and sprayed a safety color leaving the orange tip?

my first gut reaction would be a no unfortunately.  :-[
i think its actually illegal to spray paint toy guns, or something along those lines. you may want to google or check with fellow cosplayers on that one. let alone a public safety code about toy gunlike weapons.

after post 9-11 and with recent police shootings leaving a bitter taste in some law enforcement types.

again 'technically' the gray area is *cough cough* outside of the convention center area, such as the park, fountain area or any private photo shoots you may decide to have.

but again please please PLEASE do not pose any gun like weapons towards law enforcement, or even friends in a joking matter with gunlike items no matter how fake you try to make them.

Steve.Young

Reading through this thread, it's gotten a little out of hand. I'm not going to sort through each individual post.

If you have a weapon question, please email Rovers [AT] Fanime [Dot] com and I will answer within 48 hours.

Thanks,

-Steve
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Charis

Quote from: Dany on April 22, 2010, 10:02:15 AMNot sure if that makes sense, but that's what I'm working with. :)

It did -- though my comment wasn't actually in regards to weapons and Masquerade, but rather the very late date Masquerade rules went up relative to Masq registration; I'm hoping that the weapons policy goes live more than a week before con, for example.  That's all.  :D
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

Dany

Quote from: Charis on April 22, 2010, 12:45:45 PM
Quote from: Dany on April 22, 2010, 10:02:15 AMNot sure if that makes sense, but that's what I'm working with. :)

It did -- though my comment wasn't actually in regards to weapons and Masquerade, but rather the very late date Masquerade rules went up relative to Masq registration; I'm hoping that the weapons policy goes live more than a week before con, for example.  That's all.  :D

Oops, then I certainly misread a bit. But..well, I guess that's OK, at least we can hope!
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

loner

in past fanime conventions i got an ok one year and a no another year, last year i had to have it strapped to my back....and this was a similar gun to the one your showing with no trigger and made all part not move, and NO IT WASNT AIRSOFT like some people would think (hell when i got it checked they didnt even take a look at it before calling it an "airsoft". SJPD saw no threat in me walking down the street in full swat gear to go to mcdonalds (multiple times in a span of 4 years during fanime). I have a M4A1 and an a AK47 both toys and both have been modified to what you wanted to do. So in other words its like rolling a dice, because it does follow certain weapons policy i.e no moving parts, its not a gutted airsoft gun, its not loadable or at anypoint it ever was, it has an orange tip. But like i said we will never know until we get there since technically there isnt a "official" weapons policy.

moving forward--- how about a RPG7 made out of pvc pipe and 2 top halfs of plastic bottles? or a javelin rocket launcher thats basically a 3 inch diameter abs pipe? homemade, nonefiring?
Quote from: Avairrianna on April 22, 2010, 10:19:56 AM

(Sorry for the link)

Aelia

RE: Weapons Policy 2k10 - it's been tortured and tormented. It may be live soon (and by soon I mean hopefully within another day or two). Please be patient and bear with us. In the meantime; Rovers [at] fanime [dot] com can help you.

RE: Rovers have mishandled my props/weapons in the past. Hopefully, the sensitivity training I'm not-so-sensitive-about-instilling will work. Most of us recall that props can be expensive to make or buy, and that we should not f-up your weapon.

RE: "OK one year and not another" that happens at every con. People do stupid things, rules get tighter. Peace-bonders get more educated on what real guns look like, and their opinions change.

PS: The fact that they were guns; sometimes, real guns look like toys to the untrained eye. Sometimes, toys look like "real guns" to the uneducated. Now, really, it can unfortunately be hit-or-miss. We are attempting to be more educated about guns and gun-like props.

RE: RPG7 of pvc pipe and bottles & abs pipe javelin rocket launcher; as long as you don't make it *too* realistic, and nothing moves, I can be convinced to say OK. It needs to be really clear from a distance of about 20 feet in dim lighting that it's not real. The best way, if you have the props made, is to take some good pictures from a couple angles and send it in an email to rovers[at]fanime[dot]com.
Director of Operations