Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

EJAY420

look guys, Ive seen toys taken away or  asked to be put away because everyones been  crazy with guns lately in this nation.

IF U THINK ITS A BAD IDEA TO BRING IT TO THE CON, THEN IT PROBABLY IS.

Be smart about it, its not the weapons that make the cosplayer, its YOU.
Most Impressive.

otaku_madness

This sounds like a stupid question, but I wanted to be sure... ^^'

I want to bring a 5'10" flagpole with a flag as part of my Hetalia cosplay. It's made of metal so that is why I'm not sure if it is allowed.

The full length is 5'10" but it is retractable and I don't plan to make it more than 5'7"-5'8". Do I still have to peace bond it?

michiko nakano

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 05, 2010, 01:11:59 PM
look guys, Ive seen toys taken away or  asked to be put away because everyones been  crazy with guns lately in this nation.

argument irrelevant: explain why that one person's cherry blossom branch got peace bonded.

loner

i think part of the rules is that it cant be at anypoint loadable before or after, i do understand that much and i can already tell you that they are gonna say no. My toy guns barely make it through if at all any given year.

Quote from: AtoroAion on May 05, 2010, 01:03:45 PM
Okay, so 22 days away from the con and still no weapon policy? Not much room for error now... already finished everything I need, and now I'm just waiting for the policy to see if my weapon is a go or no-go, although here is a pic so someone may be able to give me a heads up.

No moving parts, orange tip as shown, no trigger even, no internal anything, all a hollow shell. Plus if need be it will be strapped to my back on top of a couple pouches (I'm going as Johnny "Akiba" Sasaki from MGS4) so I wouldn't be able to get to it.

Let me know whether I should even bother bringing it, thank in advance everyone ^_^

loner

i agree.....explain why my 3 inch stuffed fish (plushie) was peace bonded.....and yes props do make the cosplay otherwise your just just everyone else....

Quote from: michiko nakano on May 05, 2010, 07:44:50 PM
Quote from: EJAY420 on May 05, 2010, 01:11:59 PM

argument irrelevant: explain why that one person's cherry blossom branch got peace bonded.

Silent One

I have a question, would a $1 plastic toy gun with no trigger, no muzzle hole, and insanely colored orange tip has to be peacebonded? For some reason, last year, I had to get it peace bonded, though there was no way you can fire anything. In fact, there was no hole in front. To make matters more interesting, I first asked a rover whether or not I had to peacebond it or not and he said I did not need to because it looks so toyish. However, when I was walking around with it a few minutes later, another rover said I had to peacebond it. Essentially, where is the consistency and what exactly of a prop gun is required to be peacebonded?

Sincerely,

Silent One

deonchan

Y
Quote from: Silent One on May 07, 2010, 02:46:10 AM
I have a question, would a $1 plastic toy gun with no trigger, no muzzle hole, and insanely colored orange tip has to be peacebonded? For some reason, last year, I had to get it peace bonded, though there was no way you can fire anything. In fact, there was no hole in front. To make matters more interesting, I first asked a rover whether or not I had to peacebond it or not and he said I did not need to because it looks so toyish. However, when I was walking around with it a few minutes later, another rover said I had to peacebond it. Essentially, where is the consistency and what exactly of a prop gun is required to be peacebonded?

Sincerely,

Silent One

Hi silent one,

Yes. All props, weapons, etc that attendees wish to carry arond con and abide by the 2010 weapons policy must be peace bonded.

I do have a copy of the policy but, I can not post it at this very moment as I am posting from my G1 right now.

Once I get home tonight, I'll see about getting the policy up. Sorry for the delay folks.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

michiko nakano

I understand why people get frustrated about the consistency problems between various rovers' individual opinions on whether certain props should be peacebonded or not, but since there are so many different types of props people want to use, the policy cannot cover each type specifically. 

So it's like cops... some will pull you over for going six miles over the speed limit, some won't.  Some will give you a ticket for such-and-such, some will just give you a warning.  With rule enforcement, broad topics like weapons and traffic laws are so extensive that each rule-enforcer-figure cannot memorize enough information to deal with every imaginable loophole, so they must gain an understanding that is mostly shared by their fellow rule-enforcer-figures, but still reinforced by their individual morals. 

Luckily everyone here has the right to email the rovers, which I think is very convenient.

Aelia

Oh lord. OK, so I think I'm going to attempt to field these;

To be peace-bonded you must be in the costume which matches the props. I realize that there are some people doing fifty billion costume changes. The way I plan on dealing with that is having you do a quick-rotation from one to the next and bonding as I see the set.

Yes, your silly items do need to get tagged because the policy is not just for weapons. It's for any and all props. Most of the silly ones are just getting tagged to verify that you are sure that we won't let you beat someone to death with your fish-plush. (Though it would be really funny to see). We will not be peace-bonding people this year, no matter how much you insist that your fists are weapons of mass destruction. It's been an issue in the past.

All guns must be holstered, or attached to your costume in some way. The only exception to this is when the gun is so obviously huge or so impossible to attach that it cannot be attached in any way shape or form. This doesn't mean those pseudo-semi-auto-machine-esque-things... those I want to attach to you in some way. If you don't have a holster, I actually am thinking very seriously about having some felt to make temporary holsters out of. At this point, I'm not sure.

RE: Flagpole uhh... yes, that would have to be peace bonded. Is it light aluminum, or something heavier than that?

Loner: I want to say that I would let you carry that strapped to your back. I need to check with a few people though.

Runewitt It's hard to say. Do you have a picture of what we're talking about?

We are trying to be more consistent, and in an effort to do so, I've spelled out some very exacting rules for my Rovers, and everything which is not clearly defined is getting bounced to shift-leads for their evaluation.
Director of Operations

loner

@aelia
the rocket launchers wont be able to strap onto my back its gonna break if i do that...its litterally glued with hot glue and made out of home made materials, i mean they have been breaking the past weeks after ive made them, just due to storage, i wont even paint the glued parts just so it wont look realistic (as if it looked real to begin with). one is about 4 feet pvc made with 2 bottles as a tip and the other is about 3 feet made out of 3 inch diameter cardboard tube and a camcorder screen glued to the side, me and someone else will use these as part of the same cosplay 1 rocket launcher each. Ive spent so much time on these because i understood the regulations....none firing, VERY VERY delicate and very very fake looking...

Runewitt

Aelia, i'll get a picture of them tonight, but they are your basic cowboy western holsters on a gun belt, with ammo around the back, but it's all dummy ammo, no primer and no charge inside the casing.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

AnimeFans4Yaoi

Just checking but normal in-line skates can be worn outside the convention doors right? Near the grass and fountain? Just wanting to make sure I understand completely :)

deonchan

Quote from: AnimeFans4Yaoi on May 08, 2010, 05:12:47 PM
Just checking but normal in-line skates can be worn outside the convention doors right? Near the grass and fountain? Just wanting to make sure I understand completely :)

Yes they can just not indoors.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

BSaphire

I just wanted to take a moment to thank all of the Con Ops, Rovers, and Fanime staff that have come on this thread and tried to help solve problems, answer question and give advice to the many posts from the cosplayers.

I also want to thank all the cosplayers for their patients and understanding while waiting for answers to thier questions.

I hope this thread has been helpful for the most part.

Super Squidges
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

AnimeFans4Yaoi

Quote from: deonchan on May 09, 2010, 01:00:26 AM
Quote from: AnimeFans4Yaoi on May 08, 2010, 05:12:47 PM

Yes they can just not indoors.

Thank you :)

EJAY420

Most Impressive.

michiko nakano

Quote from: EJAY420 on May 09, 2010, 11:55:49 AM
just leave the props at home. enough said.
Oh be quiet, people work really hard on props and a lot of people really appreciate seeing complete cosplays.  Plus the con staff have gone to the trouble of making all these policies and training their staff members to accomodate peoples' prop tendencies, so just be grateful to the con ops for their trouble and appreciative of cosplayers who do a lot to have good props.

loner

bitter much? i thought i was trolling...anywhooooo....

so i just wanna make sure that rovers cannot grab a cosplayers prop on the con floor right? they are to be examined with care at the peacebonding stations right? (its happend to me just wanna double check again)

Dany

Quote from: loner on May 09, 2010, 07:34:54 PM

so i just wanna make sure that rovers cannot grab a cosplayers prop on the con floor right? they are to be examined with care at the peacebonding stations right? (its happend to me just wanna double check again)

Well, if it at all helps, the one time I was approached, my prop was not touched. I was just told to take it to a certain room, and from there, they checked it over and made sure it wasn't live steel, etc.  Bear in mind this was 2005, however.

I would -think- that barring the fact of being in the middle of doing stupid things, your props would not be handled by anyone other than you until you went to a station to be peacebonded.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

deonchan

Quote from: loner on May 09, 2010, 07:34:54 PM

Loner, you are correct Rovers are not to just snatch props out of cosplayers hands and that is unacceptable. There are some times where rovers will need to physically inspect a prop of course but that'll be a peace bonder or manager and they'll ask you to hand the prop to them. Now if a prop or weapon is being used in a blatant dangerous manner, well that's a different story.
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div