Post Fanime 2010 Weapons? Props? Peacebonding? Policy? Ask those ? here...

Started by Nekomatt, December 29, 2009, 09:28:20 PM

Aphaestus

Quote from: Garuda on May 19, 2010, 11:34:08 AM
That is some beautiful woodcraft, sir. Are you professional?

Thank you. I'm just an art student =P
E-gaming Staffer

Aelia

Quote from: Aphaestus on May 18, 2010, 07:39:38 PM
Would these props be okay?

Rifle:
http://aphaestus.deviantart.com/art/Sniper-Rifle-WIP-2-164539421
I'm going to paint is like this when i finish assembling it: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/timebmb757/Sniper_IMG.png
It's made from wood and PVC pipe. Would it be okay to carry it around if i painted the tip orange? Or will it look to real?

Butterfly Knife:
http://aphaestus.deviantart.com/art/Butterfly-Knife-WIP-139754830
Whole thing is made of wood and the tip of the blade is rounded.

Revolver:
http://aphaestus.deviantart.com/art/Ambassador-WIP-2-139754606
It is in the process of being painted to look like this: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7091/ambassador.jpg
Do i have to add an orange tip to this? It would look ridiculous if i tried to paint one on.

Hidden Blade:
http://aphaestus.deviantart.com/art/Hidden-Blade-and-Forearm-Armor-157705543
I'm cosplaying Altair from Assassin's Creed and i'm wonder if it will be legal to carry that around. The blade is made from wood and it has a locking mechanism. The blade won't come out unless i pull on the mechanism. This prop is gravity operated.

Just going to say right now... holy shit my friend. You have a talent for woodcraft. Uhh... I think that they're all going to be ok provided you can answer a couple more questions;
- What does the scale of that revolver actually look like? Is it oversized, or actual revolver sized?
- There is no spring in the hidden blade? And it locks "closed", but not extended?

Quote from: Garuda on May 19, 2010, 11:29:16 AM
I have a question, hopefully it's not as completely ridiculous as it sounds :x

'Live' ammunition!

I'm making "smoke flares" for my Lord Yupa costume to go in my shirt breast pockets. If you're familiar with the character (he's from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) you might recall that they look an *awful* lot like shotgun shells. Which I happen to have.

I've cut some of said shells open and extracted all shot, wadding, and charge from them with painstaking detail. I have yet to discharge the priming cap. Once that's done they'll be completely inert, just harmless shells of steel and plastic.... that still look like shotgun shells.

Is this acceptable?
I would feel a lot better if you were using something that was not ever live ammunition. We aren't allowing non-functional guns which were once real, and I can't say that I would let you carry non-functional ammo, either. I just... can't even think of how to make this work for you, honestly. The trouble with a gutted shotgun shell is that when you're carrying it around, it still looks real, which is great for "realistic" cosplay, but not so good for our props policy... ... are you going to have a gun?
Director of Operations

Aphaestus

Quote from: Aelia on May 19, 2010, 12:34:04 PM
Just going to say right now... holy shit my friend. You have a talent for woodcraft. Uhh... I think that they're all going to be ok provided you can answer a couple more questions;
- What does the scale of that revolver actually look like? Is it oversized, or actual revolver sized?
- There is no spring in the hidden blade? And it locks "closed", but not extended?

Thank you  :)

If i put a rectangle around the revolver, it will be around 15in x 9in. It's kinda ridiculous to be honest XD

No springs at all in the hidden blade. Here's a pic of the inside of the Hidden Blade and my video of how it locks:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2009/364/8/4/Hidden_Blade_Innards_by_Aphaestus.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV6IuUvPdP0
It was a prototype of my hidden blade, but the locking mechanism is still the same: being held in the "closed" position by 2 magnets. The almost finished one looks almost exactly like the one in the vid; the blade is shaped and i made it a little longer, but none of the blade sticks out of the metal housing.
E-gaming Staffer

Aelia

Quote from: Aphaestus on May 19, 2010, 12:59:07 PM

If i put a rectangle around the revolver, it will be around 15in x 9in. It's kinda ridiculous to be honest XD

No springs at all in the hidden blade. Here's a pic of the inside of the Hidden Blade and my video of how it locks:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2009/364/8/4/Hidden_Blade_Innards_by_Aphaestus.jpg
It was a prototype of my hidden blade, but the locking mechanism is still the same: being held in the "closed" position by 2 magnets. The almost finished one looks almost exactly like the one in the vid; the blade is shaped and i made it a little longer, but none of the blade sticks out of the metal housing.

I thought you'd say that. I thought I recalled the ambassador being a very large gun. When you pull the trigger (which looks like it moves) what does it do? (And if it does move, would it be harmed by us peace-bonding it with the trigger pulled?)
Director of Operations

Aphaestus

Quote from: Aelia on May 19, 2010, 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Aphaestus on May 19, 2010, 12:59:07 PM

I thought you'd say that. I thought I recalled the ambassador being a very large gun. When you pull the trigger (which looks like it moves) what does it do? (And if it does move, would it be harmed by us peace-bonding it with the trigger pulled?)

The trigger does not move at all. It's pretty fragile; it broke off once before when i was still working on the gun.
E-gaming Staffer

Garuda

'Live' ammunition!

I'm making "smoke flares" for my Lord Yupa costume to go in my shirt breast pockets. If you're familiar with the character (he's from Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind) you might recall that they look an *awful* lot like shotgun shells. Which I happen to have.

I've cut some of said shells open and extracted all shot, wadding, and charge from them with painstaking detail. I have yet to discharge the priming cap. Once that's done they'll be completely inert, just harmless shells of steel and plastic.... that still look like shotgun shells.

Is this acceptable?
I would feel a lot better if you were using something that was not ever live ammunition. We aren't allowing non-functional guns which were once real, and I can't say that I would let you carry non-functional ammo, either. I just... can't even think of how to make this work for you, honestly. The trouble with a gutted shotgun shell is that when you're carrying it around, it still looks real, which is great for "realistic" cosplay, but not so good for our props policy... ... are you going to have a gun?

No gun, just the shells. I just finished removing the priming caps (figured out I could do it without explosions, this was a good thing), I'd be happy to scan them for you if you like, but it sounds like safety isn't really the issue. If it helps at all, it is easy to demonstrate at closer inspection that they are completely nonfunctional. You can see from both ends that there's nothing inside but wooden dowel to extend them to the depth of the pocket. I'm getting that the issue is people misinterpreting them from a distance though, so I understand if that won't fly. I guess it's paint and washers time... :\

Tigerwolf

Quote from: Garuda on May 19, 2010, 03:02:16 PM

'Live' ammunition!

Is this acceptable?

No gun, just the shells. I just finished removing the priming caps (figured out I could do it without explosions, this was a good thing), I'd be happy to scan them for you if you like, but it sounds like safety isn't really the issue. If it helps at all, it is easy to demonstrate at closer inspection that they are completely nonfunctional. You can see from both ends that there's nothing inside but wooden dowel to extend them to the depth of the pocket. I'm getting that the issue is people misinterpreting them from a distance though, so I understand if that won't fly. I guess it's paint and washers time... :\

Andy I know this is you (blame Kevin, he sicked me on the forums to help answer this and ID you to me)  But yes, that would be a no go. My suggestion would be to to find some piping in the size you want, cut it down to size and use your palace arts stills to paint them as desired but leave the ends open so it's obvious its fake. This way there is no question its fake but has a nice look from the front for pictures.

And hello Aelia! Miss you!  ;D

-Tiger (rover dep)

BBOYTarzan

I'm going as Mugen this year for my very first FANIME, WOOT WOOT :D! however, i was concerned about my sword not being aloud inside. I was told by some of my friends that last year you could have a sword, however it had to stay sheathed and zip tied or something.

Don't want to be Mugen without the sword, so if i can bring it, GREAT! and if i cant, i need to know ASAP so i can order a bokken online and paint it.

BrightHeart76

I think I know the answer, but I'm not an official so I'm going to keep my yap shut.

Go to these two links.  The first is the actual policy it shows you what items are specifically prohibited as well as guidelines.  The second is a good place to ask your question and get an answer from someone in Rovers.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,14106.0.html

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13329.0.html
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Somebody

From what I understood neither bokken nor real metal swords are allowed.
But yes, Brightheart is right, go check those threads out for yourself.  :P
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

Rodney_Pheonix

Hmmm.. Just remembered since I intend to Cosplay as Gurney Halleck I might need to get my guitar peacebonded.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Aelia

Quote from: Tigerwolf on May 19, 2010, 06:01:12 PM
Quote from: Garuda on May 19, 2010, 03:02:16 PM

'Live' ammunition!

Is this acceptable?

Andy I know this is you (blame Kevin, he sicked me on the forums to help answer this and ID you to me)  But yes, that would be a no go. My suggestion would be to to find some piping in the size you want, cut it down to size and use your palace arts stills to paint them as desired but leave the ends open so it's obvious its fake. This way there is no question its fake but has a nice look from the front for pictures.

And hello Aelia! Miss you!  ;D

-Tiger (rover dep)

Hahaha. OK, so since it seems like Tiger's got the right idea, I'm going to suggest that you use the dowels you were going to put inside to fill them with washers. That I could say is 100% ok.
Quote from: BBOYTarzan on May 19, 2010, 09:31:39 PM
I'm going as Mugen this year for my very first FANIME, WOOT WOOT :D! however, i was concerned about my sword not being aloud inside. I was told by some of my friends that last year you could have a sword, however it had to stay sheathed and zip tied or something.

Don't want to be Mugen without the sword, so if i can bring it, GREAT! and if i cant, i need to know ASAP so i can order a bokken online and paint it.

Looks to me like your thread got merged. No, we will not let you carry a katana at fanime. A boken would be acceptable.

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on May 19, 2010, 11:38:07 PM
Hmmm.. Just remembered since I intend to Cosplay as Gurney Halleck I might need to get my guitar peacebonded.
You'd need a tag. Just to establish that you weren't interested in beating people with it. ;)

Also,
Hi Tiger! :D
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Aelia on May 19, 2010, 11:40:39 PM

You'd need a tag. Just to establish that you weren't interested in beating people with it. ;)

No, I don't intend to do a re-enactment of "When Kieth Richards attacks"... Though I wouldn't doubt that Gurney's smacked people around for touching his Baliset without permission before.

Also, another issue: I'm working on a false "backpack Oxy fuel" rig for my HECU combat engineer cosplay. I've run into issues fabricating the Oxygen and fuel canisters out of PVC like I'd intended. Since I already asked rovers about the gauges and have E-mail confirmation that I can use metal gauges I'd like to run by the question of being able to use a couple of Stainless steel water bottles like the "Sigg" bottles or whatever the hell they're called, made by some swedish company sold for many times the manufacturers cost and easily mistaken for white gas fuel canisters on a camping trip, or vice versa.

Bear in mind that this is part of a backpack and in no way will I be swinging it around like a madman to fend off say... Sephiroth or some silent crowbar wielding protagonist.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

loner

+100 exp for this "Bear in mind that this is part of a backpack and in no way will I be swinging it around like a madman to fend off say... Sephiroth or some silent crowbar wielding protagonist." made me lulz...

Aelia

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on May 20, 2010, 12:13:19 AM

No, I don't intend to do a re-enactment of "When Kieth Richards attacks"... Though I wouldn't doubt that Gurney's smacked people around for touching his Baliset without permission before.

Also, another issue: I'm working on a false "backpack Oxy fuel" rig for my HECU combat engineer cosplay. I've run into issues fabricating the Oxygen and fuel canisters out of PVC like I'd intended. Since I already asked rovers about the gauges and have E-mail confirmation that I can use metal gauges I'd like to run by the question of being able to use a couple of Stainless steel water bottles like the "Sigg" bottles or whatever the hell they're called, made by some swedish company sold for many times the manufacturers cost and easily mistaken for white gas fuel canisters on a camping trip, or vice versa.

Bear in mind that this is part of a backpack and in no way will I be swinging it around like a madman to fend off say... Sephiroth or some silent crowbar wielding protagonist.

As long as you promise not to start beating the crap out of a sephiroth (or any other congoer) with your backpack, I don't see an issue with the canisters (provided they are and will remain empty). (Same rule with the guitar, btw. Pull a keith richards and you'll find yourself out both a guitar and permission for props).

Out of curiosity, are we talking the lighter gauge steel like for drinking bottles, or the heavier gauge like you'd get in a CO2 or helium canister?
Director of Operations

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Aelia on May 20, 2010, 11:20:48 AM
Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on May 20, 2010, 12:13:19 AM

As long as you promise not to start beating the crap out of a sephiroth (or any other congoer) with your backpack, I don't see an issue with the canisters (provided they are and will remain empty). (Same rule with the guitar, btw. Pull a keith richards and you'll find yourself out both a guitar and permission for props).

Out of curiosity, are we talking the lighter gauge steel like for drinking bottles, or the heavier gauge like you'd get in a CO2 or helium canister?

We're talking the thing gauge stuff that's used for canisters of white gas and those drinking bottles.

At the most they'd have water or something in them so I can carry a drink around. It's what I have planned for the PVC canister, only that'd be large enough I could stuff it full of ice and fit a couple of drinks in there to keep them chilled for me.

That's still my Goal, it's just close enough to the con that I need a backup plan now just in case.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

billgoku

"Items which are too large to be holstered may be tagged with a peace-bond and may be hand-carried provided they are never brandished."

This part of the rules that have been posted needs to be stressed big time. 2 years in a row I've had props damage because they were too long to be tied to my waist and were damaged due to too much contact with the ground or other objects, or of course accidently poking people. My sword is at least 4/5s my height about like 4+ft long and they still tried bonding it to my waist.
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

hakurei

I have a few questions: It says that plastic/metal kunai have to be attached to be brought in. What would that look like? If that doesn't work out, would I be able to bring in a pair of wrenches instead?

Also, I have a small wand (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Reimu_Hakurei) that I'm planning on bringing. Would that have to be peace-bonded as well?
tumblr | facebook
kiryuuin satsuki / wadanohara

Segakid3

I'm going to be cosplaying as Richter Belmont. I was wondering if I can bring a prop leather whip by possibly zip-tying it so it cannot uncoil and put it through my belt loop?

Aelia

Quote from: billgoku on May 20, 2010, 06:04:46 PM
"Items which are too large to be holstered may be tagged with a peace-bond and may be hand-carried provided they are never brandished."

This part of the rules that have been posted needs to be stressed big time. 2 years in a row I've had props damage because they were too long to be tied to my waist and were damaged due to too much contact with the ground or other objects, or of course accidently poking people. My sword is at least 4/5s my height about like 4+ft long and they still tried bonding it to my waist.

I don't think any props which I personally peace-tied were damaged. I cannot say that for sure. However, the point of my reply is that yes, we will be policing our peace-bonders so that they know that should a prop get damaged, their head will roll. I put common sense into our guide to how things will be peace-bonded.

Quote from: hakurei on May 20, 2010, 11:21:14 PM
I have a few questions: It says that plastic/metal kunai have to be attached to be brought in. What would that look like? If that doesn't work out, would I be able to bring in a pair of wrenches instead?

Also, I have a small wand (http://touhou.wikia.com/wiki/Reimu_Hakurei) that I'm planning on bringing. Would that have to be peace-bonded as well?
You would have to find a way for us to hook them to your costume. Wrenches would be OK but they would have to be peace-tied.

You wand should get peace-tied as a prop, not as a weapon.

Quote from: Segakid3 on May 20, 2010, 11:34:08 PM
I'm going to be cosplaying as Richter Belmont. I was wondering if I can bring a prop leather whip by possibly zip-tying it so it cannot uncoil and put it through my belt loop?
If you can coil it in such a way that you cannot use it, and it can be hooked to you then yes, you can carry the whip.
Director of Operations