Started by Dragon Ninja, January 01, 2010, 07:13:30 PM

Tony

I feel bad. I walked in to the Metreon on opening day, and didn't particularly care for the movie...

The effects were amazing, and occasionally I felt they passed the uncanny valley, but the plot and characters actually took me out of an otherwise immersive experience.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Glitch

Quote from: Jerry on January 05, 2010, 12:04:56 PM
still havent seen it yet, though saw the blurbs how world wide its broken the $1 billion dollar mark.

I think I'll just wait til its out on dvd/ blu ray in a few months.  :P

the only movie i actually wanna see is a vampire movie called " Day Breakers "
REAL vampires dont freaking sparkle.

there, had to say it.  :P
And you had to say it in a thread that was completely about something else?

JohnnyAR

It does look like James Cameron ripped off from that book. The book is almost as old as he is or the other way around.

Knightfire

Quote from: SukebeStudios on January 03, 2010, 05:45:14 PM
Quote from: Moonblossom on January 01, 2010, 10:51:16 PM
Between the fact that it's 3D only and I can't see in 3D and the fact that it's a rather shameless rip of an old sci-fi story, I think I'll be skipping it despite the hype.

Um, what? It's not only in 3D. I know of 3 versions, the normal theater version, the 3D Theater version, and the IMAX 3D version. And in all fairness, a lot of the "great movies" are inspired by other stories. And if you wanted to claim "rip-off" you could have claimed "The Last Samurai" which is NOT a sci fi story. But oh well, skip it if you want.
Quote from: Knightfire on January 03, 2010, 05:24:36 PM
The plot is essentially Furngully with Smurf Cats. Visually stunning movie, though. See it in 3d if you can.
Smurfy Cats...someone has been watching "Bum Reviews" I see. But yes, see it in 3D. My personal reccomendation is to find a theater that is showing it in IMAX 3D. Trust me.

I like Bum Reviews :P
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Recca

The plot was a lot like "Dances with Wolves".

G.I.R

Y'know, at about 1/12th the cost to make Avatar, I think the effects in District 9 looked a lot more belivable.

Liquid

I don't believe that this thread was intended as a thread to debate if James Cameron is or is not an asshole. Nor accusations if the story was plagurized or not. This was a thread created by someone who enjoyed the movie and wanted to share their experience with others.

Regardless of that, Moonblossom, you are being a bit of a hypocrit in this thread. You call Sukebe a jerk, but yet you are the one who began taking this thread down the path of negativity and who is the one being the jerk. I can be almost certain that just about every movie/anime/book you ever loved appears to mirror some other past movie, book, or short story from our past in one way or another.

I read the plot summary for "Call Me Joe" (linked below) and I can see some similarties there, but it is surely not a blantent 100% ripoff like everyone is trying to make it out to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_Me_Joe

You want to talk ripoffs, lol? I can do this with just about anything.

Daybreakers: The lead character is from a seemingly superior race that is taking advantage of another type of humanoid species for their "resources." The lead character then meets a female of the other species. Soon he emerses himself in the world of the lower species and befriends them, even though at first they had their doubts if they could trust him. He learns their ways and eventually goes "native" and offically becomes one of them. Eventually, he leads the lower species in a revolt against their oppressors.

OMG, what a blantent ripoff of Avatar!!! :D
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Liquid on January 22, 2010, 02:04:38 PM
You want to talk ripoffs, lol? I can do this with just about anything.

Daybreakers: The lead character is from a seemingly superior race that is taking advantage of another type of humanoid species for their "resources." The lead character then meets a female of the other species. Soon he emerses himself in the world of the lower species and befriends them, even though at first they had their doubts if they could trust him. He learns their ways and eventually goes "native" and offically becomes one of them. Eventually, he leads the lower species in a revolt against their oppressors.

OMG, what a blantent ripoff of Avatar!!! :D

Its not a ripoff, its more like a generic archtype of a plot.

G.I.R

More like a coincidence since both films were in production about the same time.

Glitch

This isn't the only rip off James Cameron has done. It turns that Titanic wasn't originally from his imagination. Cameron just copied some event that actually happened a long time ago and made it a movie. I feel so betrayed!!

Liquid

Quote from: Glitch on February 07, 2010, 06:04:15 PM
This isn't the only rip off James Cameron has done. It turns that Titanic wasn't originally from his imagination. Cameron just copied some event that actually happened a long time ago and made it a movie. I feel so betrayed!!

lol. Around the time the movie was in the theatres this Bay Area radio station was talking about the movie and the real history and how the ship sinks and all that. Some lady called into the radio station and was IRRATE because by telling her the ship sinks they had spoiled the movie for her. It. Was. Hilarious. :D
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Glitch

Quote from: Liquid on February 08, 2010, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: Glitch on February 07, 2010, 06:04:15 PM

lol. Around the time the movie was in the theatres this Bay Area radio station was talking about the movie and the real history and how the ship sinks and all that. Some lady called into the radio station was was IRRATE because by telling her the ship sinks they had spoiled the movie for her. It. Was. Hilarious. :D
That is strange because the trailers shows the ship sinking. Everybit of information about the movie was about the sinking.How the hell could she not know the ship sank? XD

Yuki Valentine

I saw it twice, the first in IMAX 3D, then in just normal 3D.  I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX if you can.  It'll blow you away.

As for the plot, yes it was a pretty generic plot that has lots of similarities to other movies, but then again...  I can't think of a movie that hasn't.  o_O  Anyway, it was the way that they told the story that got me.  Very unique.
Plus, of course, the visuals were just so damn amazing, I felt as if though I was there.  After the movie ended, I had completely forgotten all about the people in the theatre.  Then I got post-Avatar depression...  =p

But yes, I have to say that I am happy that there is finally a movie that blows everything else from the water.  I'm not a big movie person, very picky, and I wasn't really looking forward to it that much, but when I saw it...  O.O

I am happy to say that it is my 2nd favorite movie of all time.  Howl's Moving Castle will always be my first.  c(^.^c )

(I wish I could see it more, but unfortunately...  I can't even buy food, so I can't pay $17 just to see it, although it is completely worth it.  T_T)

If all you do is read the reviews and not actually have any personal opinion and say it looks dumb, then...  I don't know what to say.  You're gonna miss something that has hopefully changed the way people make movies and it won't be the same once it's out of theatres.  T_T
Please check out my 8tracks account and add me!
http://8tracks.com/yuki_valentine

My YouTube account- http://www.youtube.com/user/xYukiValentine

PLEASE PLAY AND DONATE!!!

freerice.com and freepoverty.com

failure

There's no need to harp on Cameron for his exploits away from the camera, there's plenty of fuel for the Avatar bonfire just by watching the movie.  My friends and I watched it opening night in 3D, and I had the "best" reaction to the movie. 

Reaction:  You *have* to see Avatar in theaters for the experience, it's visually mind blowing.  That being said, it's also one of the most trite cliche piles of refuse that's been made in the last decade or so, it made me yearn for something new and exciting like a Uwe Boll movie.

Even James Cameron was surprised he won the Best Director award, he even commented he thought Katheryn Bigelow(The Hurt Locker) was going to win.

After that long of a production time, I'd have thought the man that made T2 would have brought more to the table than his mixed bag of stock characters.   The only thing more painful than the characters cliche-ness is their dialogue,  I have no idea how on Earth that was the best script he could come up with.  The core theme of the movie, take your pick white man's guilt or green guilt, can be traced back to any of the environmentally conscious Miyazaki movies; if Cameron's Smurfs had their ballsacks hanging out it'd be Pom Poko in space.  Realistically, if this movie hadn't been as visually stunning as it was, there would be nothing but talks about what a monumental failure of a film it is.  It's success only shows how eye candy is all that's really necessary to get people wooed nowadays.  His awards for the movies are proof enough of that.
head of the now spatially efficient asian films.

G.I.R

James Cameron's Avatar does for the colour Blue that J.J. Abrahms Star Trek (gag) did for Lens Flares.

Death_Note_Matt

You know when it came to that awkward love scene I accidently laughed out loud like a hyaena and pissed people off...at the thought of The main character getting a stiffy inside his chamber thingy when he was doing it with that Na'vi princess HAHAHAH.
Another Player has Entered the Game

Glitch

Quote from: failure on February 16, 2010, 11:10:23 AM
That being said, it's also one of the most trite cliche piles of refuse that's been made in the last decade or so, it made me yearn for something new and exciting like a Uwe Boll movie.

I know the movie had it's flaws, but that is one hell of a low blow. XD

G.I.R

Quote from: failure on February 16, 2010, 11:10:23 AM
Reaction:  You *have* to see Avatar in theaters for the experience, it's visually mind blowing.  That being said, it's also one of the most trite cliche piles of refuse that's been made in the last decade or so, it made me yearn for something new and exciting like a Uwe Boll movie.

*ouch*

That's kinda hitting below the belt,                         ... but you still win the Internets.