_insert game here_ review thread

Started by Jerry, January 13, 2010, 09:38:38 AM

Jerry

Trying to be an avid gamer, as well as informed consumer - I appreciate the reviews and input of my other fellow gamers out there.

So here's the Deal - You may talk about ANY game here in this thread [hence _insert any game here title_ ]
- I'm curious about your input about current, old or upcoming games that are coming out.
-  Id like to know what you liked - didnt like, and or what your thoughts [semi productive] on what you'd like to see in the near future.

I'll start with um - Bayonetta

It essenttial feels like Devil May Cry with sex appeal. Anyone played it and is it worth it?

or anyone played - DarkSiders?

ironically i have no clue what this game is about nor have had a chance to read any articles about it.

Again feel free to change the subject - and/or Rant or Rave about games you guys are playing out there.
I might have missed an underground favorite or avoid an over advertised and save my $60  :)

Game on!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

lyricaldanichan

Bayonetta is worth getting, but it is not ment to be a serious game. The amount of combos that can be used in the game is crazy just like Devil May Cry. There are several SEGA in-jokes which comes into the game play which is hilarious if you can recognize them. Other then that, it is worth checking out and if you have doubts try renting games first before buying it. That is what I normally do with games I am not sure of.

Another game that is worth paying $60 is for the PS3 called Yakuza 3 from SEGA in March (originally released in Japan as Like a Dragon 3 (龍が如く3 "Ryū ga Gotoku 3"?). People have compared this to Shenmue and GTA, but it has a lot more substance then those two games. I urge people to rent/buy the first 2 games on the PS2 before getting into 3, this series does not disappoint.  

More info -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza_(series)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Oh you know I'll be in here soon enough ranting about MW2.
Soon, very soon...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Jerry

So i was reading my random blogs and I saw something very interesting:

Check it out!
http://geeksdreamgirl.com/2010/02/01/epic-mickey-brings-epic-anticipation/

So this game is called " Epic Mickey" [pending title?]

----

I may or may not have mentioned that one of my favorite video game series, ever, is Kingdom Hearts.  I couldn't wait to play the first game, partly because Final Fantasy was the first RPG series I had ever played, but equally important was the Disney component.

See, I grew up in Orlando.  I've been going to Disney World since I was three years old.  It was a rite of passage for many teens to work there, and most rewards or field trips involved trips to Disney.  Most people in Orlando have a love/hate relationship with WDW, but for me, it's mostly love.  Add that to the typical immersion of a young girl into all things Disney, and my penchants for trivia and history, and well, I'm hooked.  I have a strong opinion about just about everything Disney, from merchandising to Imagineering decisions to, um, corporate leaders.

Thus, you can imagine how excited I really am when I say I absolutely cannot wait for Epic Mickey.

What is Epic Mickey, you ask?  It was first hinted at, months and months ago, as a game featuring a sort of post-apocalyptic Disney World.  Images of a crumbling Spaceship Earth (the EPCOT ball to most) had minds reeling.

Now we know a little bit more:  It's a single-player game, designed only for the Wii.  It's apparently mostly platform, part RPG.   The post-apocalyptic world is actually the Cartoon Wasteland, a sort of world for ideas that were rejected or simply forgotten... and, thanks to an evil force, it's... not quite right.

Gameplay promises to be relatively novel and free-form for a platform; since you use paint and paint thinner to navigate the levels, there's several ways to paint your way out of corners, as it were.  There's also a morality system: you can be a Scrapper, aggressive and frightening to other characters, or a Hero, who creates more than she destroys.

Most exciting is the artistic direction the game seems to be taking.  Disney is normally pretty stingy about using Mickey, and as a result, Mickey has kind of faded into a symbol with very little personality.  Epic Mickey is intended to be the start of a relaunch of Mickey; he promises to be a little more feral, a little less polished, and hopefully more relevant.

I've also read that the storyline for the game will make the minds of Disney and animation buffs explode with joy.  Hardly any of the characters are modern; most will harken back to cartoons that hardly any of us have seen.  Oh, and did I mention a major character is Oswald the Lucky Rabbit?  Many might know of him as the precursor to Mickey.  I might know that bit of trivia, but I guarantee that there will be other characters that I haven't even heard of.

I haven't heard as much about how many WDW elements will actually make it into the game and how many were just concept art, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Many of the original Disney rides weren't based on a film at all, or have very distinct personalities from their source material.  Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World, Haunted Mansion, the Carousel of Progress, Skyway... these all have potential in the right hands.

Epic Mickey isn't supposed to come out until September of this year.  That's a long time to wait (I'm hoping Cataclysm for WoW will be released and distract me in the meantime).  Still, you can bet that as more info is released in the meantime, I'll be gobbling it up, eagerly waiting.

----

Anyone's thoughts? :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

I also cannot wait for this game to come out. I too in somewhat of a Disney Fan. Well old Disney anyways. The current Disney of the last 10 years is full of fail. But whatever. I also am a Fan of Kingdom Hearts (though I don't like associating with other fans, they just creep me out.).

From what I have seen from the game it looks very good. I really enjoy how the Disney World was combined with a Apocalyptic-like setting. It looks like one of those games that will become a modern classic for gaming. Or so I hope so. We can only wait and see.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Record of Agarest War

Someone review this game for me and explain to me how it is rated T.

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm-CeH0ZGpw&feature=related

Either way I'm buying it for the Pillow Case and the Mouse Pad.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

PyronIkari

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 05, 2010, 12:27:56 AM
Record of Agarest War

Because there's no nudity and there's no like real bad innuendo. It's no worse than say an Ar Tonelico game.

The game as a whole isn't bad. It's not an amazing game or anything, but it's def. not bad. It suffers what most IF! games suffer from which is good design, but a system that starts getting boring the longer you play it. At first it feels kinda fun but it drags on after a few hours. The conversational parts are actually pretty decently done. So it's kinda worth getting if the localization isn't bad.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 05, 2010, 08:21:43 AM
Record of Agarest War

Because there's no nudity and there's no like real bad innuendo. It's no worse than say an Ar Tonelico game.

The game as a whole isn't bad. It's not an amazing game or anything, but it's def. not bad. It suffers what most IF! games suffer from which is good design, but a system that starts getting boring the longer you play it. At first it feels kinda fun but it drags on after a few hours. The conversational parts are actually pretty decently done. So it's kinda worth getting if the localization isn't bad.

ic
Though the US Trailer did focus a little to much on the girls and made it look like some galge or something.
I did a little research last night and it is apparently the most downloaded PSN game. And it is apparently a 100+ hour game too. Well I guess it can be no worse then Tales of Vesperia. Though just like that game I'll probably never finish it.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

PyronIkari

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 05, 2010, 10:03:24 AM
Record of Agarest War

ic
Though the US Trailer did focus a little to much on the girls and made it look like some galge or something.
I did a little research last night and it is apparently the most downloaded PSN game. And it is apparently a 100+ hour game too. Well I guess it can be no worse then Tales of Vesperia. Though just like that game I'll probably never finish it.

You didn't like Vesperia? Vesperia is a really good game, minus how the XBOX users got screwed. It wasn't as good as other Tales games, but still one of the better next gen RPGs to date.

Marketing on Agarest is just that... marketing. Agarest is no where near as good as Vesperia as a whole, though they are like comparing two very different genres.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 05, 2010, 03:22:54 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 05, 2010, 10:03:24 AM
Record of Agarest War

ic

You didn't like Vesperia? Vesperia is a really good game, minus how the XBOX users got screwed. It wasn't as good as other Tales games, but still one of the better next gen RPGs to date.

Marketing on Agarest is just that... marketing. Agarest is no where near as good as Vesperia as a whole, though they are like comparing two very different genres.
Didn't really like the characters and the story as far as I got seemed very bland and boring. The combat system started to become tedious and repetitive. Only Boss fights made it any fun. Stopped playing it around 20-30 hours in game. I'll go back and finish it eventually, though when that will be I don't know.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Jerry

been reading random reviews and seen some game play from "Heavy Rain" -
look interesting, but i dunno if its worth $60 :P

that or im just REALLY cheap.  :-[

lyricaldanichan

Oh this game is worth $60. Have you played the demo on PSN? It is a beautiful game, reminds me of Se7en and a bit of film noir.

Quote from: Jerry on February 22, 2010, 09:10:07 AM

been reading random reviews and seen some game play from "Heavy Rain" -
look interesting, but i dunno if its worth $60 :P

that or im just REALLY cheap.  :-[

Jerry

ah! i forgot the demo was available via PSN network :P

that and I realized my ps3 is still being borrowed.

thanks for the tip!

lyricaldanichan

No worries!

Another suggestion for people who may not have played it is Demon's Souls for the PS3. Thankfully Atlus brought the game over and is a very well done RPG.. not your typical one at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

Quote from: Jerry on February 22, 2010, 01:30:20 PM

thanks for the tip!

PyronIkari

Quote from: Jerry on February 22, 2010, 01:30:20 PM

thanks for the tip!

Friend was/is working on this game.

The game is very very very simple. It's basically a movie version of a choose your own adventure book, if you remember those from your childhood. The story and graphics are incredibly well done, and how the branching works makes the replay value incredibly high.

It's not difficult, and even "bad ends" are worth seeing for how they pan out. There is nudity in the game... so there's tits and ass, maybe even penis(I didn't ask) so be weary of that if you're playing with people that might care.

It's beautiful and cinematic. But it's more like a book than it is a game, and that will turn a lot of people off. Think... Dragon's lair with choose your own adventure.

Jerry

Just saw the mini article for the new "Metal Gear Arcade" - featuring 3D googles with head tracking capabilities with a light gun/rifle accessory.

Wild.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10458408-1.html

Would you play this? or does the Concept of 3D "everything" kinda bother you?

clawmaster

FF 13 review well sort of like a review, it was reviewed by Yahtzee. ah lol that lovable angry Australian lol. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1569-Final-Fantasy-XIII

check out our site, we cover all the latest news on both anime and video games and also we have a podcast http://missionstartpodcast.weebly.com/

Jerry

*phoenix down*

so I'm actually gaming again and its great!

Just picked up a couple of random games:

Deathsmiles
its your 'typical' ~ bullet hell games, where its all about the skill of dodging a screen full of enemy bullets while watching anime graphics and sweet lolitas on screen :P

Gundemonium
another game thats only on the Playstation network and cheaper than what i spent on the Deathsmiles. :P

Trinity Universe
on sale @ Fry's for $40 this week! :D
looks like your typical anime rpg and all that jazz...

What are you guys playing and/or looking forward to play this summer?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Jerry on July 02, 2010, 10:34:18 AM
*phoenix down*

so I'm actually gaming again and its great!

Just picked up a couple of random games:

Deathsmiles
its your 'typical' ~ bullet hell games, where its all about the skill of dodging a screen full of enemy bullets while watching anime graphics and sweet lolitas on screen :P

My only complant about the game is that it has only about 9 stages that take, like, 3mins to get through. I wish they had a few more then that.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.