Final Fantasy XIII

Started by Liquid, January 14, 2010, 11:43:34 PM

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on January 19, 2010, 08:31:49 AM
Interesting to sat the least. Judging by what was written it is still just rumors and speculation, but then again it might be the translator giving the wrong impression. As far as "The Last" of it kind., that could be taken in any direction. True, it could be the way that you mentioned, but it could also be interpreted that it could be the last FF where Single Platform only (for most of the world in this case) or where they used a specific character design in mind.

Wait... what translation?

Knightfire

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 19, 2010, 03:48:33 PM
Interesting to sat the least. Judging by what was written it is still just rumors and speculation, but then again it might be the translator giving the wrong impression. As far as "The Last" of it kind., that could be taken in any direction. True, it could be the way that you mentioned, but it could also be interpreted that it could be the last FF where Single Platform only (for most of the world in this case) or where they used a specific character design in mind.

The links you gave me were in full japanese, so I had to use Google translator to read them in English.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on January 19, 2010, 04:29:58 PM

The links you gave me were in full japanese, so I had to use Google translator to read them in English.

But I already explained it. They're changing the game to be something completely new and will no longer be following that standard RPG formula. They're going to completely try and deviate and revamp/revolutionize RPG's and that Final Fantasy XIII will be the last of the standard style RPG.

FF hasn't been single platform for years. FF7 was on PC. FFXIII is being released on 360. FFXI was PS2/PC/360. And character design has varied a lot in FF alone, look at Crystal Chronicles and XIII. You're trying to hard to look for something it's not saying instead of just accepting it.

FF as you know it is dead. They're going a different direction, whether this is good or bad is yet to be seen. FFXIII however is out, and for the most part, is accepted as bad.

Knightfire

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 19, 2010, 06:58:01 PM

But I already explained it. They're changing the game to be something completely new and will no longer be following that standard RPG formula. They're going to completely try and deviate and revamp/revolutionize RPG's and that Final Fantasy XIII will be the last of the standard style RPG.

FF hasn't been single platform for years. FF7 was on PC. FFXIII is being released on 360. FFXI was PS2/PC/360. And character design has varied a lot in FF alone, look at Crystal Chronicles and XIII. You're trying to hard to look for something it's not saying instead of just accepting it.

FF as you know it is dead. They're going a different direction, whether this is good or bad is yet to be seen. FFXIII however is out, and for the most part, is accepted as bad.

They already been driving away for years though, so I don't see it as any different. Did you react this way When FFXII got released, or XI, or X, or Tactics? The way I see it, Final Fantasy "died" once X came out and that was almost a decade ago. I'm not trying to change your views on the game (sorry if I came under the impression if I was).

You got me there on the PC ports, completely forgot about those.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on January 19, 2010, 07:57:58 PM

They already been driving away for years though, so I don't see it as any different. Did you react this way When FFXII got released, or XI, or X, or Tactics? The way I see it, Final Fantasy "died" once X came out and that was almost a decade ago. I'm not trying to change your views on the game (sorry if I came under the impression if I was).

That's why they gave them a new title for tactics. FFXI is the only one that was different. X totally followed the pattern. XII and XIII also follow the pattern completely. Tweaking minor things and changing the battle system does not change it's still a standard JRPG.

questionette

I'm so excited for this game :).  I just hope it doesn't fail like X/X-2 did for me (and I didn't bother playing XI or XII :-/), the only thing that bugs me is the "Eidolons" (Guardian Forces)...I liked how they were before :'( now they're like...mech car things....meh.  But still super excited! Already pre-ordered my copy ;)

Knightfire

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 19, 2010, 08:24:27 PM
Quote from: Knightfire on January 19, 2010, 07:57:58 PM

That's why they gave them a new title for tactics. FFXI is the only one that was different. X totally followed the pattern. XII and XIII also follow the pattern completely. Tweaking minor things and changing the battle system does not change it's still a standard JRPG.

Isn't how each FF differentiate themselves primarily by the Battle System (plot as well)? Changing that is not just a minor tweak. A minor tweak is giving Mega Man the ability to Charge his Mega Buster. We are talking about how the game is played. FF X is a very different game from FF IX and FF XII, as well as XIII from what I been hearing.

You keep saying that FF XIII is the last of the FF formula but by what was posted, it already has broken the formula. Then what is the big deal? :-\ I don't like going back and forth like this, so I'm going to call it quits.

PyronIkari

Sigh -_- Why does no one understand terminology anymore.

You don't get it. You seem to think that genres have their own set types.

Let me try to explain this in a couple of ways.

Street Fighter compared to Street Fighter 2 compared to Street Fighter 3, Compared to KOF, compared to Samurai Showdown.

All of them fit the same cookie cutter type for 2d fighting games. Some of those are good, some have good systems, some have have ad systems, some are bad. Different stories, different input types, different design, but they all fit the basic most common mold for a 2d fighter. How the games play out are basically the same. Now, compare that to, Marvel Vs Capcom, Arcana Heart, Guilty Gear, and BlazBlue. They have are similar, but have very different basis. They're very different, and they don't follow the base system. Then compared those lists to, Virtua Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur. They're no longer even comparable anymore.

Now in retrospect, let's say Final Fantasy is the first list. Every Final Fantasy fits in that type except for FFXI. No game in the FF series changes that much in terms of how its laid out. The battle systems may be different, magic and summons may be different, but essentially they're played exactly the same. But it's not just Final Fantasy, MOST JRPG's fit in this mold. Tales, Suikoden, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, all of them fit in the genre mold.

But then you can take the second list, where it's basically the same premise but they spit it up enough to where it's not. These can be other RPG type games, like Action RPGs. Now you take the same basis idea, and you COMPLETELY change the system completely, like Tactics Games, Ogre Battle, or even games like Borderlands and Fallout.

The idea is to remove Final Fantasy from the first genre, and completely change it. Dragon Quest will stay the same and remain the staple of that genre, while FF is going to try and completely change into something else. Games like FFXI and XIV are the only two true FF's that have deviated from the base JRPG genre. Every other FF game that deviated was given a new title. Crystal Chronicles, Tactics, etc.

So to recap... FF1-X2 FFXII and FFXIII are basically all the same exact genre. Kingdom Hearts though cannot fit in that genre because it's an Action RPG. And don't argue that FFXII was an Action RPG because it wasn't. Battles were still menu based but autobattle could be utilized and just because the screen doesn't change, doesn't change that. Action RPG's are defined by direct control of the character at all times, where as menu based RPG's are controlling characters via commands. Mass Effect=Action RPG.

Liquid

If I had to guess, I'd say they were going to go the action RPG route. They seem to have been leaning more and more that way without actually crossing over. Other action RPG titles have become pretty popular with this genre. Although I am eager to see if they prove me wrong and show us all something new we haven't seen before.

Over the years they have been releasing a wide variety of different types of FF genres and titles. I would not be surprised if they took more popular aspects from all of these individual genres and somehow tied them all together into one crazy game. Puzzles, like in Crystal Chronicles. Customizable fighting schemes for each character, with combos and the like, as in Dissidia. They could integrate some stuff from their online titles. Maybe even somehow integrating strategic combat scenarios, like in Tactics. They could also take aspects from successful titles made by other companies. Games such as Fable, God of War, Metal Gear, Mass Effect, etc.

I'd be happy if they allowed for airship flying again (although not a necessary task, I found it fun in previous titles to zoom around the world at my own discretion.) It'd also be nice to have the chance to raise and breed chocobo again and take part in races (one of the aspects of FFVII I really enjoyed and feel should be done again.) Who really knows what they plan to do exactly, but with FFXIII coming out soon and FFXIV not too far behind, I'm sure information will come out sometime this year in regards to their next title, whether it be FFXV or an entirely new game altogether.

EDIT: Maybe something non-linear where you can go anywhere in the world you want and make your own decisions and decide your own actions. Actions which can alter your storyline, gameplay, and outcomes. That would certainly be different for them.

EDITx2: A while back I remember hearing someone tell me that SE had plans to combine the stories and characters from all FFs into one final game before ending the series. Not sure how reliable that rumor was though....and I have no real access to gaming websites at work....so I can't really research on my own. Contrary to the information stated, I find it hard to believe that SE would abandon such a successful franchise with such a huge following, in order to pursue something different. I'm kind of hoping they don't go through with that, but instead just make the games better.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Jerry

hmm interesting speculation there Liquid---
i didnt realize that SE [im assuming you mean Square Enix] was eventually dropping the FF franchise series. then again I havent seen any other game go beyond say 15+ sequels. :P [besides say mega man]

I mean they still have the Kingdom Hearts series, and knowing how many spin off that universe(s) they have you know they will keep some of the staple FF characters around.

My guess is that today [generation you tube] gamers possibly may prefer a non-linear game? I dunno. I have to admit that my attention span has gotten steadily worse over time when all the [open ended-ness of games] ever since the GTA some gamers get to overwhelmed by the "open world" and get too distracted... I know i do sometimes.

As for FFXIII and eventual XIV and XV, I'll probably get them out of nostalgic loyalty, but I havent consisently played a Final Fantasy game since FF X and FF:Tactics [war of lions on PsP] --- hopefully i may or may not jump on the FFXIII bandwagon [good or bad] sooner or later.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Liquid

Quote from: Jerry on January 21, 2010, 03:23:18 PM
I mean they still have the Kingdom Hearts series, and knowing how many spin off that universe(s) they have you know they will keep some of the staple FF characters around.

Well, FF characters in Kingdom Hearts is actually only a minor plot addition. It doesn't really add anything huge to the story or the worlds. It may have only been done to get current FF fans to be interested in buying Kingdom Hearts. Now that it is a successful franchise, they don't have to really add new FF characters or even keep the existing ones if they don't want to.

If you remember, Disney has recently aquired Marvel. If they really wanted to they could replace the presence of FF characters with Marvel characters; like Wolverine for example. Or they might just keep FF characters in there to make it remain a Disney\SE crossover title. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Liquid

For collectors of FF items (like games and strategy guides) here is a deal that Amazon.com currently has up today for pre-ordering the Final Fantasy XIII strategy guides:

Final Fantasy XIII Strategy Guide (Paperback) for $16.49.
Normal listing price will be $24.99 (Savings: $8.50)

Final Fantasy XIII Strategy Guide (Hardback) for $20.99.
Normal listing price will be $34.99 (Savings: $14.00)

If you order both you are eligible for the Super Savings free shipping (5-9 day shipping.) Total for both is $37.48, excluding tax.

Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Jerry

Wrong [Number] game i know--- but thought this was an interesting article...

Final Fantasy VII Almost Definitely Not Getting A Remake

Final Fantasy designer Tetsuya Nomura has finally gone and said it; he's stated in an interview that the most popular game in the series, FFVII, is likely not getting a remake as so many fans are begging.

It's been more than twelve years since the game's release, and Final Fantasy VII was the game that brought the series from its niche popularity into mainstream recognition.

I'm a bit divided. Though the desire for a remake seems blatantly fanboyish, I get why some people want it. When so many PS era classics like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid have already received remakes, it nearly seems fitting. And for all it does incredibly, Final Fantasy VII is really not the perfect game that many remember; no matter how complex and vague a plot is, it doesn't automatically guarantee a good one. Yes, no matter how gripping Aeris' death may have been for many of us, I don't think the story or even the script was particularly well-written. There's so much room for improvement there that part of me wants to see that improvement happening within the game itself instead of a billion disjointed spin-offs.

Still, Square-Enix hasn't been churning out much of anything special recently. If the complaints with FFXIII are any indication, the quality on a VII remake will reach the levels of kitsch and pander in Twin Snakes instead of the welcome retcons and expansions of Resident Evil on the GC. What more, FFVII was a huge game and it would take Square-Enix a long time to give it the once over. I'd rather see a Kingdom Hearts III.

Even if it may not be coming out, what's your opinion on an FFVII remake?

L 3 S L I 3 !

Quote from: questionette on January 19, 2010, 09:00:27 PM
I'm so excited for this game :).  I just hope it doesn't fail like X/X-2 did for me (and I didn't bother playing XI or XII :-/), the only thing that bugs me is the "Eidolons" (Guardian Forces)...I liked how they were before :'( now they're like...mech car things....meh.  But still super excited! Already pre-ordered my copy ;)

omg!11! I hate the new Eidolons! I loved the old school summons! That's the only thing that's probably gunna bother me about this game. Hopefully the game play doesn't suck, too. Dx
[FORMERLY KNOWN AS L3SLI3_LOV3S_CHU.]

Liquid

You should have posted that it its own topic Jerry. That's a completely different discussion, lol.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Death_Note_Matt

First off I am going to say this..I am a HUGE Final Fantasy FanGirl!
And I hate to say this but the last good game they came out with was FFX [And I didn't like that game that much >:T]...unless you want to add in My Favorite one for the Nintendo advance Final Fantasy advance tactics :D
But really....when SquareSoft became SquareEnix They went down hill and didn't release any thing that good..The only thing I liked from them was Final Fantasy Advent children THE MOVIE .___. And after that they started releasing all these Final Fantasy 7 based games =___=; I loved Final Fantasy 7 but damn DX I just loved it when it was just Cloud the good guy and Sephiroth the badass villain...and now that there is so many new faces..ugh..its kinda like Mortal Kombat..I am lost in whats going on with that series. Anyways..getting back to Final Fantasy XIII I am not looking forward to it...But I am going to but to to complete my Final Fantasy collection. >3>
Another Player has Entered the Game

Jerry

Quote from: Death_Note_Matt on February 23, 2010, 12:11:53 PM
The only thing I liked from them was Final Fantasy Advent children THE MOVIE .___.

Just FYI they - RE-released a "Newer" Version of this movie -

--- It has almost 20+ more minutes footage focusing more on clarifying the plot and the fight scene have be "recut" to actually show more violence.  I've never seen Cloud so bloody before... its a whole different experience.

Death_Note_Matt

Quote from: Jerry on February 12, 2010, 08:44:58 AM
Wrong [Number] game i know--- but thought this was an interesting article...

Final Fantasy VII Almost Definitely Not Getting A Remake

Final Fantasy designer Tetsuya Nomura has finally gone and said it; he's stated in an interview that the most popular game in the series, FFVII, is likely not getting a remake as so many fans are begging.

It's been more than twelve years since the game's release, and Final Fantasy VII was the game that brought the series from its niche popularity into mainstream recognition.

I'm a bit divided. Though the desire for a remake seems blatantly fanboyish, I get why some people want it. When so many PS era classics like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid have already received remakes, it nearly seems fitting. And for all it does incredibly, Final Fantasy VII is really not the perfect game that many remember; no matter how complex and vague a plot is, it doesn't automatically guarantee a good one. Yes, no matter how gripping Aeris' death may have been for many of us, I don't think the story or even the script was particularly well-written. There's so much room for improvement there that part of me wants to see that improvement happening within the game itself instead of a billion disjointed spin-offs.

Still, Square-Enix hasn't been churning out much of anything special recently. If the complaints with FFXIII are any indication, the quality on a VII remake will reach the levels of kitsch and pander in Twin Snakes instead of the welcome retcons and expansions of Resident Evil on the GC. What more, FFVII was a huge game and it would take Square-Enix a long time to give it the once over. I'd rather see a Kingdom Hearts III.

Even if it may not be coming out, what's your opinion on an FFVII remake?

I wanted the remake! I was waiting all those years..Hell that was the reason why I wanted a PS3 in the first place Dx But now that its a no Go Ahhhh! But then again...they did me a favor by saving me the disappointment of them jacking up my favorite classic but adding something lame in it..I mean if it aint broke don't try to fix it right :D Just keep it true to the old one. Well anyways its alright I still got my original one for the PS in the black too o3o complete with the booklet XD
Another Player has Entered the Game

Jerry

this is one way to "relax" on a couch.  8)

Jerry

Anyone's initial thoughts of the game now thats its out? [several friends picked it up from midnight releases] --- you crazy crazy FF fans. :P