EVO 2010, July 19-21 at Caesars Palace Resort in Las Vegas

Started by Barnes, January 15, 2010, 01:28:04 PM

Barnes

Wow.

http://evo2k.com/

Six games? What will they be?

Get hype! Blah blah blah, discuss....
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Mizuki

Super Street Fighter 4 singles
Super Street Fighter 4 teams
Super Street Fighter 4 exhibition
Super Street Fighter 4 dance off
Tekken 6
Blazblue

Mizuki

Yo, I was joking when there would be multiple SSF4 categories....

Real list is
SSF4
T6
TvC
BBCT
HDR

SSF4 girls only.

What a joke...

What you can do to help sanitize the god awful game list is by signing up on shoryuken.com's forums before Feb. and vote for the game that should have made it in... Melty Blood Actress Again in feb.

G.I.R

Lets see, It's the three days before Comic con (actually the 21st is preview night).

I could go from the L.A. area to vegas on the 19th, and make the mad dash to San Diego Wednesday afternoon,  or, just take my leisurely time driving to comic con on Wednesday...      Hmmmm.  Decisions decissions. XD

Jerry

random article since I noticed that most EVO contenders are usually guys:

---

http://gaming.mancouch.com/721167029/can-girls-really-compete-with-guys-in-video-games/

The Evolution 2k tournaments, the biggest fighting game events in the United States, just announced they're hosting a females-only competition this year for the upcoming Super Street Fighter 4. Initially I thought this was a step forward for female fighting gamers, a way of not only highlighting their talent in the games but encouraging other female fighting gamers to step up to the professional plate. But a majority of people on the forums considered this a stupid move on the part of the committee, which surprised me. According to them, a women-only tournament spreads the message that girls can't compete on the same level as guys and need their own separate division.

I touched numerous times on the competency of girls as professional gamers when I was an editor at Hardest Level, so you may have already have an idea of my opinion on the matter. But this is my first time posing the question straightforwardly: Do you think girls can really compete with guys in video games?

Before any girl gamers get me wrong, when I say "compete with guys" I don't just mean giving your friends or their friends the smackdown at a party. I mean winning locals, going to regional qualifiers. Qualifying. Bring your butt over to the big events in Vegas or wherever. And if not winning over everyone else, at least winning most of your matches and making every single one of your opponents work for those wins.

Girls have been competing in tournaments for a while, but never at the same level of recognition, most of which they've received being girls and more than just decent at their game. But never because they were a Fatal1ty or SephirothKen or Justin Wong.

This is not hesitant sexist rhetoric but a valid question. Once again, do you think girls can really compete with guys in video games? And do you think it's right that EVO2k is segregating male and female gamers?

----

So what do you guys think? I'm all for female gamers, but do you think they should be separated?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Mizuki

Rofl, this is a really stupid idea, most girls are against it, most guys are against it, it's a joke. Not only are they saying that girls need their own section of the tourney because they suck, but it's giving them special treatment just because they're girls. In japan, there's a handful of females who make it to SBO and place in decently sized tourneys. There was an all female team for Virtua Fighter, Female Chunli got pretty far in ST SBO along with Muteki Guile, And there's a female SF4 player named Choco who does well too. I think it's the perception of how females are supposed to act in this time and age, even though it's not as strict as before, but there's still the feeling of "females are only at gaming events to be sex appeal" it seems. It also probably doesn't help that gamers smell, and are socially awkward, making girls kind of turned off trying to be in tourneys filled with those kind of guys.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Mizuki on February 03, 2010, 02:29:47 PM
Rofl, this is a really stupid idea, most girls are against it, most guys are against it, it's a joke. Not only are they saying that girls need their own section of the tourney because they suck, but it's giving them special treatment just because they're girls. In japan, there's a handful of females who make it to SBO and place in decently sized tourneys. There was an all female team for Virtua Fighter, Female Chunli got pretty far in ST SBO along with Muteki Guile, And there's a female SF4 player named Choco who does well too. I think it's the perception of how females are supposed to act in this time and age, even though it's not as strict as before, but there's still the feeling of "females are only at gaming events to be sex appeal" it seems. It also probably doesn't help that gamers smell, and are socially awkward, making girls kind of turned off trying to be in tourneys filled with those kind of guys.

Too bad it doesn't apply in the US.

Girls suck, in the US, and they CAN'T compete on the same level as guys (in fighting games at least). Seriously. There's only 1 girl that sorta can, but that's only a "sorta" can. The biggest reason this is an issue is that it's taking resources away from the major tournament. Most of the people whining are stupid and have no point in their whining.

If the girls stepped up their game, then good for them, compete with the rest of the guys, but at this point, none have made it pass round 1 except 1.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

AND THE RESULTS ARE IN!

Melty Blood wins vote!

Congrats to the Melty Blood community who has won the vote for the final game at Evo 2010. Melty Blood won with a decisive 27% of voters and will have their game added to the lineup of Evo 2010. We are also making one more change to our 2010 lineup. After conferring with the BlazBlue community we have decided to replace BlazeBlue with Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the PS3. Big thanks to the BlazBlue community for graciously stepping down.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

Mizuki

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 03, 2010, 06:35:22 PM
Quote from: Mizuki on February 03, 2010, 02:29:47 PM

Too bad it doesn't apply in the US.

Girls suck, in the US, and they CAN'T compete on the same level as guys (in fighting games at least). Seriously. There's only 1 girl that sorta can, but that's only a "sorta" can. The biggest reason this is an issue is that it's taking resources away from the major tournament. Most of the people whining are stupid and have no point in their whining.

If the girls stepped up their game, then good for them, compete with the rest of the guys, but at this point, none have made it pass round 1 except 1.

Yeah, totally. I don't know why it's only in US that it's like that. Well, I could think of some reasons, but they're probably untrue. But we can all agree that it's going to be sloppy as all heck and probably really bad to watch. Also MB is gunna be awesome this year, we already have confirmed out-of-country players coming.

Barnes

And it's on right now. And I'm still here... nevermind. You can apparently watch the stream from here:

http://evo2k.com/live/
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Wow some nice games so far.

Everyone played well but I could tell Justin was very confident in himself when he came up and other people's confidence dropped when it shouldn't. That or they got overconfident and ended up giving up the match. Given Justin is still an extremely smart player, people just need to keep their cool. Either way I'm looking forward to the semi-finals tomorrow and MvC2 and Melty Blood Sunday.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

Just saw JTChinoy play =D

They were talking so much crap about him. Dunno if they were being douches but I thought those matches were good.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

JTchinoy

The guy talking crap is one of norcal's 2 best players.  I train with him periodically and norcal tekken in general talks crap about me in general, so it's not surprising.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

LordKefka

Wow... -.-;

Either way, how did you place? I couldn't watch the rest of the matches.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

JTchinoy

i didn't get out of my pool. the korean that won EVO sent me to losers at the winner's final of my pool. lost to a law player in losers final, so i got 3rd in my pool which doesn't mean much. lol

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

LordKefka

I don't think that's bad at all. Well, hope you at least had fun at Vegas  ;)
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

JTchinoy

drank an AMF then dropped 20 on roulette my last night.  I made $2.50! hell yeah!

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

LordKefka

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor