rubbing people the wrong way?

Started by lunarknight, January 16, 2010, 02:56:29 PM

lunarknight

I understand that there are situations which people have a disagreement over certain matters. But can it result in total alienation within the community? because I'm beginning to feel that way >_<

PyronIkari

Quote from: lunarknight on January 16, 2010, 02:56:29 PM
I understand that there are situations which people have a disagreement over certain matters. But can it result in total alienation within the community? because I'm beginning to feel that way >_<

Yes, it can, and will... but

LOLOLOLOLOL CON DRAMA.  On the reverse side, a lot of really retarded douchey people are popular for no reason whatsoever despite being total creepy douchebags. Take some of the members of this forum that hang out in the "Meeting/Gatherings" forum. But all in all, who cares. The community as a whole is stupid and some of the most drama filled I've seen in any community ever. I tend to stick with my friends, and not really care about the community as a whole.

KitsuneOniko

sadly i have to agree with u mikey... lol werent you kasumi n i talkin bout this when we were hangin out the other day? i've been around loooooong enough to see this kinda thing within the community... happens to even the best of us... not sayin stay away from everyone and everything but you do gotta be aware there will ALWAYS be biased ppl! Even in the simple form ("FMA FANS ARE SOOOO COOLER THAN NARUTARDS" OR "BLEACH PWNZ INUYASHA" Etc.... or even artists vs gamers vs otaku enthusiasts and so on)
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

Mizuki

It's partially standard in any type of community of people, but it seems to be the worst I've ever seen amongst con-goers. I guess thats what happens when you have a ton of socially inept people gathered in one facility, or just a group of people in general gathered up. You decide!

pandrogyny

Quote from: Mizuki on January 17, 2010, 10:38:55 PM
It's partially standard in any type of community of people, but it seems to be the worst I've ever seen amongst con-goers. I guess thats what happens when you have a ton of socially inept people gathered in one facility, or just a group of people in general gathered up. You decide!

That seems to be the largest problem I've encountered at fanime, honestly. I have definitely met a lot of really cool, totally awesome people in past years. But I have also met my share of major creepers. :/
Apparently I am very approachable, and it gets me into some uncomfortable situations at times. ;  n;" And then I wonder if I am the victim of someone who just walked out of the How To Talk To Girls panel with a little too much confidence.

It's sad that some people aren't even aware of how off-putting they can be. But that is why I never walk around alone. It's always good to have a friend with you to bail you out of a really awkward conversation or whatever.

Persona

Context? While I agree with what you're saying as a generality, it's hard to actually have a discussion about it when it's so nonspecific.

Quote from: lunarknight on January 16, 2010, 02:56:29 PM

VanessaAyukawa

I use to care and avoid the drama and just lurk (Look at how long I've been here but no actual posting.) Now, I figure I should just post and share instead of reading. There are a handful of lame people but I just scroll a little bit faster when I see their names. AND there are some super sweet/awesome people who I don't see post as much. WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE.

PyronIkari

Quote from: VanessaAyukawa on January 18, 2010, 02:53:45 PM
I use to care and avoid the drama and just lurk (Look at how long I've been here but no actual posting.) Now, I figure I should just post and share instead of reading. There are a handful of lame people but I just scroll a little bit faster when I see their names. AND there are some super sweet/awesome people who I don't see post as much. WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE.

Eh, I don't really agree with this. Lots of people that are stupid, say things worth saying sometimes. And lot of people that are awesome, say stupid things sometimes. It's a matter of getting things out of what you read, whether they say something good or bad. People shouldn't ignore or accept things just because they come from people they like or dislike. Just don't let things that you dislike bother you, and try to avoid the drama of it all. People are people, there's always something you can gain.

HarpB

I like totally misunderstood the title of the topic...

Liquid

Quoterubbing people the wrong way?

Generally if you are going to rub someone, make sure to have their permission first. Once that is established, make sure to do it the right way. More often than not, this would be a fluid, soft and slow motion in only one direction. Such as a downward petting motion. Rubbing both ways, back and forth, can lead to chaffing and rashes. ;)
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Jerry

Quote from: Liquid on January 25, 2010, 01:32:17 PM
Quoterubbing people the wrong way?

Generally if you are going to rub someone, make sure to have their permission first. Once that is established, make sure to do it the right way. More often than not, this would be a fluid, soft and slow motion in only one direction. Such as a downward petting motion. Rubbing both ways, back and forth, can lead to chaffing and rashes. ;)

everyone needs a dose of common sense.

some more than others.  :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom