Attendees at Day Zero (A False Start)

Started by N.E.R.V.agent220, January 18, 2010, 12:55:25 AM

Sen

Quote from: ewu on January 18, 2010, 01:33:31 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
Hey, we have the facilities as of Wednesday morning... I might have to start a "Day Minus-One"!  ;D
(Except that the staff would crucify me.)

FanimeCon now open Day Minus-One.
Attractions to look forward to feature the wide swaths of the public lower concourse offering a vending machine and an ATM for your pleasure. We have also negotiated a lucrative contract with the Starbucks (which may now be a Peets?) to operate during their normal business hours. Attendees, please come early so that you may enjoy absolutely nothing at all......Bonus: if you get in the way of the decorators and Fan Services setting up Registration or Exhibit Halls, you will receive a generous helping of A$$ kicking, served up by yours truly.

Since when did I hire you as a bouncer?  :P
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

ewu

Quote from: Sen on January 19, 2010, 03:39:12 PM
Since when did I hire you as a bouncer?  :P

That would require that I be paid....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

abcbadcat

Day 0 is for all the sweet hotel parties

duh

N.E.R.V.agent220

Quote from: abcbadcat on January 19, 2010, 04:55:47 PM

duh
Dude, Save it for Sunday night allright.

Jerry

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on January 19, 2010, 08:39:57 PM
Quote from: abcbadcat on January 19, 2010, 04:55:47 PM

duh
Dude, Save it for Sunday night allright.

You mean you guys dont want to start partying on Wednesday? [Day minus one?]
I think we should start a new tradition  ;)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

FanFicGuru

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

KyraEnsui

Day 0 is all about being ready and jump start for Friday! Check in, get badge, and do little drinking! That's why I started coming up on Day 0!

heeroyuy135

Well I'm glad I'll be attending Day Zero. It also gives me less to bring down since I can go grocery shopping in San Jose instead of back home, plus I'm hoping they'll do the staff Rock Band Freestyle Tourney like they did last year.

Steve.Young

Quote from: ewu on January 18, 2010, 01:33:31 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
Hey, we have the facilities as of Wednesday morning... I might have to start a "Day Minus-One"!  ;D
(Except that the staff would crucify me.)

FanimeCon now open Day Minus-One.
Attractions to look forward to feature the wide swaths of the public lower concourse offering a vending machine and an ATM for your pleasure. We have also negotiated a lucrative contract with the Starbucks (which may now be a Peets?) to operate during their normal business hours. Attendees, please come early so that you may enjoy absolutely nothing at all......Bonus: if you get in the way of the decorators and Fan Services setting up Registration or Exhibit Halls, you will receive a generous helping of A$$ kicking, served up by yours truly.

I would LOVE to enjoy absolutely nothing at all :P
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Barnes

I'm tempted to....oh, wait I can't do that at the SJCC. Maybe I should just update my hotel stay from Wed. night to Tues morning 0_o
Day -1
Day 0
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5? XD
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Angelx624

Well, I want to go to Day 0(Thursday) so I can pick up my badge and meet some Fanime con-goers. =)
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

Liquid

I had a terrible Day -1 last year and I'd like to complain about the services offered, in hopes that things can be improved for this next year.

1.) The ATM fee was really high and I didn't get a receipt. Also, it paid me crinkled up bills. >:(

2.) My chips got stuck in the vending machine. (I think it didn't like the money?) ???

I was kinda tired after having to vigorously shake the vending machine for my chips (which never fell), so I went to get coffee.

3.) The bartista would not accept my crinkled bills. I had to speak to the supervisor in order to get a coffee. For some reason my coffee tasted like cigarettes and it also burnt my tongue! It kind of shocked me and I ended up spilling it all over myself. >:(

After that I decided to wander around the convention center and admire the decorations that were being put up.

4.) I tried to talk to a girl putting up decorations near Registration, but my speech was slurred due to the burnt tongue. She took me for a drunkard! I tried to explain what had happened to me, by using hand motions in a charades like fashion.

I acted like I put money into a machine, got angry at it cause it didnt drop my item and then shook it. I acted like I came to another machine and it gave me crumpled bills (I pulled out my bills to show her.) I then showed how I got coffee and spit it up and spilled it cause it was nasty and burnt my tongue. She must have mistook my motions as trying to solicit her for sex, cause the next thing I know she pushed me away! :-\

I was still a bit tired from earlier and thus I stumbled and fell, messing up some nice decorations nearby. :(

5.) Then, some guy who swore he was the head of Fan Services assaulted me for messing up the decorations! I would never have believed a head volunteer could get so violent... I don't remember much, but I do vaguely recall being choked by yellow tape... (He never did apologize. :'( )

Yes, this is a joke. <3
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Cosplay Cyborg

This thread is so much win! I laughed SO hard just now. This is why I love Fanime so much -- everybody has a great sense of humor and is really gung-ho about the whole con experience. I wish that AX was like this, but then again, it might take a miracle at the rate things are going now.

That aside, I love Day Zero! I use it to flaunt my joke cosplays every year, and depending on the response I get from them, they either go back into the vault or reappear elsewhere. Last year's joke cosplay was CEO Mokuba, based on a joke between a friend and I about Seto getting killed in a D-Wheel accident and Mokuba taking over Kaiba Corp at age 17. It got a very small response, probably because it was so complicated. The year before that was a Team Rocket Scientist to go along with my friend's Giovanni Cosplay. Nobody knew what the heck I was. Oh well. XP

Other conventions I've been to this year had pretty boring Day Zeros. Nobody was around, especially for PMX's Day Zero. I used that time to try and hunt down the room my panel was gonna be in. It was fun running around trying to find it, especially cause some of the corridors were still dark later at night and my friends and I pretended we were in Silent Hill. It was really funny, so I guess that Day Zero wasn't TOO bad.

The only thing that could make Fanime's Day Zero even BETTER is to have the Karaoke Room open. I love the Karaoke staff at Fanime~ They're so awesome. :3 The only reason I've never signed up for a volunteer position is because I live so far away and I wouldn't be able to go to any staff meetings (if they do that).

Oh man, I started rambling.

But yeah. Day Zero = Win. Day Minus 1 would be hilarious if someone actually did it. I wouldn't mind joining in if someone wants to do something. ^W^

- Cy

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: Cosplay Cyborg on February 19, 2010, 05:13:02 AM
Day Minus 1 would be hilarious if someone actually did it. I wouldn't mind joining in if someone wants to do something. ^W^

- Cy

Um, we appreciate the enthusiasm and fun you're having at Fanime, but please don't. Day Minus 1 is for senior staff who have to be on site to oversee the actual construction of the con. You wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere or see anything because of all the people running around setting things up. Plus we might even get in trouble for having our attendees wandering around when forklifts are zooming around.

Plus, it's kinda nice for staff to have this day to ourselves before the con and the stress starts.  ;D
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

Cosplay Cyborg

Ahhh, I see. Well, good luck to you guys setting up! I promise I won't get in your way~

I'm gonna be up there a couple days early anyway, so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone wanted to do something off-site if anyone else is in the area, really. I'm from SoCal so I usually only attend the convention for just the days I attend, then go home. This year a splurged on plane tickets and I'm gonna be there for a week cause I wanted to have some time to walk around and see the sights. My friend goes to college in SF and she's always talking about the city, so I figured why the heck not? Plus, my traveling buddy wants to see the "Baby, The Stars Shine Bright" store.

- Cy

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: Cosplay Cyborg on February 19, 2010, 08:29:12 PM
Ahhh, I see. Well, good luck to you guys setting up! I promise I won't get in your way~

I'm gonna be up there a couple days early anyway, so I figured I'd ask and see if anyone wanted to do something off-site if anyone else is in the area, really. I'm from SoCal so I usually only attend the convention for just the days I attend, then go home. This year a splurged on plane tickets and I'm gonna be there for a week cause I wanted to have some time to walk around and see the sights. My friend goes to college in SF and she's always talking about the city, so I figured why the heck not? Plus, my traveling buddy wants to see the "Baby, The Stars Shine Bright" store.

- Cy

You could hang around the area in San Jose, but I wouldn't recommend you actually walking around the SJCC. Don't ruin the magic of the whole thing by seeing everything get set up!
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

Angelx624

Lol, part of me wishes I could be in San Jose on Wednesday, but ah Thursday will be good enough, that is, if we can go. D: I wonder if my friend's friends are checking in on Thursday..... >>;; Well cause I dunno if he's going on Day 0 or not. =( But maybe my boyfriend and I can still go to it so we can get our badges. ^^; I'll just tell him the lines aren't as bad as Day 1(least from what I hear). XD Plus on Day 1 I'll be wearing semi-comfortable shoes. >>; I don't want to stand around in them for over an hour. >< So ya.... x.x;;

Anywayyys, now I'm rambling! XD Guess I'm just very excited. @///@ With it being my first time going. :D

(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

Glitch

Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on February 19, 2010, 10:18:25 PM
Quote from: Cosplay Cyborg on February 19, 2010, 08:29:12 PM

- Cy

You could hang around the area in San Jose, but I wouldn't recommend you actually walking around the SJCC. Don't ruin the magic of the whole thing by seeing everything get set up!
Things get set up? As in people putting things together? That doesn't make sense. How does that connect with fanime magically appearing every year when the magic in fans' hearts wills it together?