Why do attendees attend Day Zero when this day is only for the following:
     People who pre-reg want their badges early
     Staffers
     Dealers
     Press
     Guest relations
     Security
     People involved in Swap Meet
The actual day the con starts is Friday morning around 10 AM, Can an attendee hold till then... Day Zero should only pertain to the list above and I still say that Attendees should follow con tradition and start the fun Friday going into Monday.
There should be a rule change about attendees at day zero because the true events don't start till days 1, 2, 3, 4       

ewu

2009 had the dance, swap meet, select vid rooms and the gaming room open on day zero. For some, these may have been attendance worthy events.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Moonblossom

What does it matter if some  people want to attend the "quiet" day? If they're finding ways to have fun and it's alright with the con staff, how is it even an issue?

Knightfire

I go on Day Zero to pick up my Badge and to check out the Swap Meet.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Moonblossom

I usually fly in from Canada Thursday morning, check in at the hotel and rest a bit, then head to the con and get my badge, and while I wasn't attending last year, if the swap meet starts early this year again I will totally be hitting it up on Thursday. It's nice to be able to do some things before the con gets insanely busy.

edit: Killed some illogical grammar.

Knightfire

Quote from: Moonblossom on January 18, 2010, 09:02:07 AM
if the swap meet starts early this year again I will totally be hitting it up on Thursday. It's nice to be able to do some things before the con gets insanely busy.

I'll be surprised if they aren't doing a Day Zero Swap meet this year.

Charis

I didn't come in until Friday my first year ('08), and changed that to come up Day 0 last year.  Have to say I vastly preferred the Day 0 arrival, and do for  most cons I go to; for Fanime, I have a four-hour drive or so up to San Jose, so it's nice to have a night to rest from that.  I'm also a cosplayer first and foremost, and mine are usually involved enough (or at least time-consuming enough) that I like having a hotel room in which to change.  That and the chance to hang out with friends and chill before the craziness of con picks up is the main reason why I'll do Day 0.  The swap meet and prereg pickup are added bonuses.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

MikoChika

Day Zero is perfect. My friends and I take a ten+ hour drive up to San Jose, so it's nice to be able to arrive the day before anything really starts. It sucks to drive that far and miss like.. half a day of funness. That extra day also alows us to rest up, check out the con grounds, an so on. To have a few things to do on Day Zero is even better. Gives us somthing to do in a town we dont know.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

Tony

Hey, we have the facilities as of Wednesday morning... I might have to start a "Day Minus-One"!  ;D
(Except that the staff would crucify me.)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ewu

Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
Hey, we have the facilities as of Wednesday morning... I might have to start a "Day Minus-One"!  ;D

FanimeCon now open Day Minus-One.
Attractions to look forward to feature the wide swaths of the public lower concourse offering a vending machine and an ATM for your pleasure. We have also negotiated a lucrative contract with the Starbucks (which may now be a Peets?) to operate during their normal business hours. Attendees, please come early so that you may enjoy absolutely nothing at all......Bonus: if you get in the way of the decorators and Fan Services setting up Registration or Exhibit Halls, you will receive a generous helping of A$$ kicking, served up by yours truly.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jerry

Day Zero and Day Minus One... ? :D

imitates Rod from Avenue Q --- My Cup run-neth over! :P

Hmm - knowing some of the rabid fanime fans, they might as well have a pre-registration Line party.

knowing some of the work-a-holic staff there might be a small skeleton crew that might set up for an even earlier swap meet, hang out or some random public event or goof-ing off ness. :P

I'm definitely looking forward to Day Zero.  - and maybe some day a " Day Minus One " ;)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

VanessaAyukawa

I've never actually attended day zero, but will this year to get a head start on the swap meet. I plan on buying more used than anything else. The swap meet tends to have older merch from old series.

Neo-Zaku

I like arriving that day early. Not only to get my pre-reg badge but also catch up with people I haven't got to see for a year without the distraction of the Con. I will be actually attending Con this year while on leave between my current station and my next one. Which is (and some of you folks may kill me :P) Japan.

Thursday gives you a chance to also get the hotel room in order, find any last minute repairs that need to be done on your costumes, stock up on food and drinks, read over the schedule and generally get ready for Day One.

I sadly would not make it for a Day Minus One. The anticipation would kill me late Day Zero... and no this has nothing to do with Lelouch.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

Shinsengumi

I've been going to day 0 since 2007, I'd rather go to day 0 just to get my badge the room and the check out the swap meet also have a little rest. Plus it's a good way for people that live too far from San Jose. Also you might find some good stuff at the swap meet on thad day. I might go to day 0 again this year.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

MikoChika

lol.. a Day Minus One.
That getting alittle too carried away XD!!
Please, don't feed the moogle.

Knightfire

Quote from: ewu on January 18, 2010, 01:33:31 PM
Quote from: Tony on January 18, 2010, 01:13:59 PM
Hey, we have the facilities as of Wednesday morning... I might have to start a "Day Minus-One"!  ;D

FanimeCon now open Day Minus-One.
Attractions to look forward to feature the wide swaths of the public lower concourse offering a vending machine and an ATM for your pleasure. We have also negotiated a lucrative contract with the Starbucks (which may now be a Peets?) to operate during their normal business hours. Attendees, please come early so that you may enjoy absolutely nothing at all......Bonus: if you get in the way of the decorators and Fan Services setting up Registration or Exhibit Halls, you will receive a generous helping of A$$ kicking, served up by yours truly.

Feels like I'm doing nothing at all.

Nothing at all!

NOTHING AT ALL!!!

Moonblossom

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Moonblossom

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist :(

</sweeps Flanders under the rug>

Nothing to see here, move along, back on track.