How to pick a character to cosplay as????....

Started by leslie, February 04, 2010, 09:16:22 PM

leslie

Hey guys,

Ok so here's a question for everyone...how do you pick a character to cosplay as??? Do you choose a character that you really like or who you would look good as or what??? Should I buy a cosplay costume or try and make it or what??? I have no clue how to pick and I'm totally stuck! I have never cosplayed before and I would really, really like to cosplay, but I have absolutely no ideas...there are so many characters to choose from and I am totally lost :(

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, tips or anything lay them on me because everyone I'm going to fanime with has at least one cosplay costume and I have none. Help please!
"Vodka means water in Russian, you know."

Vensy

I suggest you pick a character you like. =3 That's what I do... I don't like it when people ask me, "What character do I look like? So I can cosplay them..." Cuz I like the idea of choosing a character to cosplay that you like.. =3

For a first cosplay I'd say try to pick something more on the simple side. If you have experience with sewing and whatnot then you can make it, but if you're not.. then either buy a premade cosplay online, OR.. if it's a simple enough cosplay you can go to a clothing store and buy the parts to put it together. =]
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

Rodney_Pheonix

Vensy covered most of it, really just try for something simple (a term that's in the eye of the beholder mind you) and a character you like.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

leslie

Thank you both for the advice! That really helps a lot because I had no idea how I should pick a character or costume. I'm thinking I might buy the costume or clothing pieces this time and maybe next time I can make my costume like so many other people do. :D

I'm excited now that I have an idea of what I'm going to do! Thanks guys! ;D

Nina Star 9

Basically what was said. I like to choose cosplays of chracters that I like/from something I like (or love the costume of too much that I don't care anymore if I love the character or not) that are within my skill level for making them. Even if I fell in love with a character/costume combination, if it had, say, tons of metal armor, I wouldn't attempt it, since that's too far out of my skill range. As an example, this year I'm planning on cosplaying a character who has very little personality, but I love the game she's from and her costume. I was planning a cosplay (that has since been abandoned) of a character that I haven't really thought about since I was a kid and don't remember what she was like or what her show was like, but I loved her costume (and loved the show when I was about 10, but not anymore).

You should also keep in mind the popularity of the costume and how much attention you will be recieving in it (since some cosplays aren't well known, like mine from last year, but are cute enough and/or revealing enough that you will still get lots of compliments and photographs). Do what you love, yes, but if you really don't want a ton of attention, wear something less popular and/or less revealing. It's probably best to have a less popular costume or even just regular clothes to wear during down time so that you aren't being mobbed for pictures all weekend, especially if it's your first time cosplaying, since you might get tired quickly. I have been doing pretty obscure cosplays for a long time, so I recently decided to do things that I love that will get me a little more attention, since I'm a bit tired of not having anyone recognize me for all my hard work. It all just depends on your prioities and what you like. I wouldn't do a cosplay you didn't like just for attention, and I wouldn't -not- do a cosplay you love just because no one will know it, but it is something to keep in mind.

When deciding between cosplays to narrow down the choices, I make pro/con lists. I think I detailed it in another thread, so I'll find a link for you.

I hope that helps! <3

leslie

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 05, 2010, 01:10:30 PM
Basically what was said. I like to choose cosplays of chracters that I like/from something I like (or love the costume of too much that I don't care anymore if I love the character or not) that are within my skill level for making them. Even if I fell in love with a character/costume combination, if it had, say, tons of metal armor, I wouldn't attempt it, since that's too far out of my skill range. As an example, this year I'm planning on cosplaying a character who has very little personality, but I love the game she's from and her costume. I was planning a cosplay (that has since been abandoned) of a character that I haven't really thought about since I was a kid and don't remember what she was like or what her show was like, but I loved her costume (and loved the show when I was about 10, but not anymore).

You should also keep in mind the popularity of the costume and how much attention you will be recieving in it (since some cosplays aren't well known, like mine from last year, but are cute enough and/or revealing enough that you will still get lots of compliments and photographs). Do what you love, yes, but if you really don't want a ton of attention, wear something less popular and/or less revealing. It's probably best to have a less popular costume or even just regular clothes to wear during down time so that you aren't being mobbed for pictures all weekend, especially if it's your first time cosplaying, since you might get tired quickly. I have been doing pretty obscure cosplays for a long time, so I recently decided to do things that I love that will get me a little more attention, since I'm a bit tired of not having anyone recognize me for all my hard work. It all just depends on your prioities and what you like. I wouldn't do a cosplay you didn't like just for attention, and I wouldn't -not- do a cosplay you love just because no one will know it, but it is something to keep in mind.

When deciding between cosplays to narrow down the choices, I make pro/con lists. I think I detailed it in another thread, so I'll find a link for you.

I hope that helps! <3

Yes, that most definitely helps me! I didn't think of how popular certain costumes would be and the attention I could get from them...this is my first big anime convention so yeah that might wear me down a bit. I think I have an idea for a character I want to cosplay as since I love her outfit and her character as well. I don't think it is too popular of an anime so I don't think I would get too much attention at all.

Thanks for the great advice especially since I'm new to cosplaying and haven't been to too many conventions, but hopefully that will change :D

RaddaX2

1.  Choose within your reasonable body proportions (This)
2.  Choose within your level of skill (No throwing in globs of hair cement and thinking its "anime")
3.  Know what you're cosplaying.  It gives you reference for when you pose for pictures.  (optional/debatable)
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Rodney_Pheonix

Also, you should have fun while cosplaying.

If you aren't having fun something's wrong.

On a semi-unrelated note I just realized Jabba the hutt is a rip off of concept of Leto II the God Emperor of Deune...
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on February 05, 2010, 03:06:31 PM

On a semi-unrelated note I just realized Jabba the hutt is a rip off of concept of Leto II the God Emperor of Deune...

This. x1000.

If you don't have fun, then don't do it. It's pretty simple.

For me, it's starting to not be fun anymore with cosplays so obscure that I'd be incredibly lucky to have 1 person the entire con recognize me, and sometimes have no photo requests, so I'm doing things that will get a little more attention (even if they are somewhat obscure things like Jet Set Radio!). If it would not be fun to squeeze yourself into a skimpy little cosplay and maybe get the wrong kind of attention, then don't do it. If it wouldn't be fun to get mobbed for pics, then don't do something you will get mobbed in. If you do something that you don't love, then it likely won't be fun (some people can have fun with this, but I don't think I would). If your shoes hurt too much, it won't be fun. If your cosplay is -really- delicate and might break, then you'll be too focused on not breaking your costume to have a lot of fun.

I woul personally do something that you love that's within your skill and comfort level and is maybe somewhat known. You won't be mobbed all weekend, but you also won't get discouraged because no one is saying anything to you about your costume all wekend (I've gone entire weekends without a single comment on my cosplays before...I still love really obscure things, though ;P)

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13183.0.html

There's that link I promised you.

leslie

Quote from: RaddaX2 on February 05, 2010, 02:13:46 PM
1.  Choose within your reasonable body proportions (This)
2.  Choose within your level of skill (No throwing in globs of hair cement and thinking its "anime")
3.  Know what you're cosplaying.  It gives you reference for when you pose for pictures.  (optional/debatable)

Lol, no worries. I would never cosplay something I knew I could not pull off! I'm a realist in that sense ;D

leslie

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on February 05, 2010, 03:19:05 PM
Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on February 05, 2010, 03:06:31 PM

This. x1000.

If you don't have fun, then don't do it. It's pretty simple.

For me, it's starting to not be fun anymore with cosplays so obscure that I'd be incredibly lucky to have 1 person the entire con recognize me, and sometimes have no photo requests, so I'm doing things that will get a little more attention (even if they are somewhat obscure things like Jet Set Radio!). If it would not be fun to squeeze yourself into a skimpy little cosplay and maybe get the wrong kind of attention, then don't do it. If it wouldn't be fun to get mobbed for pics, then don't do something you will get mobbed in. If you do something that you don't love, then it likely won't be fun (some people can have fun with this, but I don't think I would). If your shoes hurt too much, it won't be fun. If your cosplay is -really- delicate and might break, then you'll be too focused on not breaking your costume to have a lot of fun.

I woul personally do something that you love that's within your skill and comfort level and is maybe somewhat known. You won't be mobbed all weekend, but you also won't get discouraged because no one is saying anything to you about your costume all wekend (I've gone entire weekends without a single comment on my cosplays before...I still love really obscure things, though ;P)

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13183.0.html

There's that link I promised you.

Yes thank you both for the most important concept of having fun while cosplaying! Since it is my first time cosplaying I want to have a good experience rather then having this be my first and last experience because of poor planning on my part. I want to be able to enjoy myself and thanks for reminding me of the comfort factor as well that's a biggie!  :D

The character I really want to cosplay as is from the anime series Kanon which is really girly I know, but I love it. The school uniform is simple and I can wear comfy shoes so I'm hoping I can find one online or an outfit that is similar to it. 

Moogleborg

Personally, I choose character that I not only like, but those who I think that I could easily look and act like as well. ^_^ It makes me feel more comfortable and natural. ^^
Running on moé, 24/7/365.