Re: Occupancy of hotel rooms - General Thread for Roommates Wanted - Fanime 2010

Started by Moonblossom, February 07, 2010, 08:37:22 AM

Moonblossom

I'm pretty sure the max legal number of people in a double room at the Fairmont is four :/

DracoMancer

um, you do realize that 90% of the time con-goers put a bunch of people in their room? i went to Fanime in 07 and had like 8 people and that was letting the hotel know ahead of time. they didn't say anything against it.
"A burrito? That is so pathetic. I WANT A TACO!" -Grimmjow voice actor.

Moonblossom

You're very lucky. Some hotels will charge extra at checkout or even kick you out if they catch you over-stuffing rooms to that extent. It's a safety hazard and it's unfair to the maintenance staff. It's been discussed many times on these forums, and it's strongly discouraged for legal and safety reasons, as well as giving the congoers a bad image in the hotel's mind.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,8369.msg198308.html#msg198308

If people over-stuff rooms often enough and basically screw the hotel out of large amounts of money, eventually they will just get fed up and stop offering discounted rooms.

Just because you've gotten away with it in the past does not make it acceptable.

Jerry

The recent post on this thread does bring up and interesting topic- Safe "room occupancy"

Now I'm not part of this department, but I think we should have someone from the proper Fanime or Hotel Staff  have an official ruling of what is best for the hotels... and the safety for our Convention Goers.  :)

* raises hand *
Hey Mods could we get clarify please?  :)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

ewu

From my experience, I believe that it is up to the hotels and CMR to enforce their policies. Fanime does have involvement but it is substantially on the periphery of the main responsibilities.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

DracoMancer

Well I usually let them know ahead of time anyway. But I would never over stuff a room that could clearly not fit that amount of people. The room we have is 2 bed and a bath and I don't plan on adding anything beyond 8, 8 being the absolute max. Besides some people we thought could join our room either aren't sure, or might not be able to get a ride so I doubt we'll even have 7 let alone 6.

But *shrug* up to you guys. You either want to room with us or you don't. I've been con-ing since 2004 so I know all the in's and out's of hotel rooming.
"A burrito? That is so pathetic. I WANT A TACO!" -Grimmjow voice actor.

Moonblossom

::)

I've been booking and staying in hotels since way before 2004 (I'm nearly 30 and my best friend lives several thousand miles away, that's a lot of travel), and sure as shit didn't want to room with you in the first place, I was just letting you know what you're planning to do is frowned upon.

Jerry

Ladies please. Keep your comments and suggestions on topic please.

I was merely pointing out that there might be some safety or possibly hotel guidelines that need to be expressed in case of any emergencies happening--- there is no reason to use any unnecessary language or go back and forth--- so long as what you do with in the room is safe, legal and does not cause an issue with the Hotel and other Convention go-ers.... then everything should be [in theory] OK.

Other than that back the usual thread - roommates request(s) thread . Thanks!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kyra_Maverick

The people who work these hotels aren't stupid. They know that some people over crowd their rooms and other people follow the rules. Last year at the Hilton the man running check in gave me 4 room keys (one for each of us) and told me that if I happened to 'lose a key and need another one' to let him know. However at the Crowne Plaza I received a 'do you think I'm stupid' look when I actually did lose my room key and requested another.

Some hotels are more easy going about it then others.