Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

idontknow

Should we already have a paid registration before renting out an AA table? Or is it possible to rent an AA table and register later?

summerchristmas838

..and continuing on the previous question by someone else, if that friend we want to share the table with is a few months shy of 16, then what?

WhiteTreeFox

hi, I had a question about the seller's permit and was wondering if anyone could help me? I was googling for help on filling it out and I found this bit on an AX forum:

Quote** The BOE apparently does not process application earlier than 30 days from the selling date. Since the selling date is 7/2, that means they won't take your application for processing until 6/2.

the full thing is here: http://www.anime-expo.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10712

I know this is from an AX site and fanime may be different, but since I'm pretty sure we do need the permit to register for the table way early, what should I do, has this changed and you can get a permit anyway? I hope this makes sense, I don't want to miss out on a table because I didn't fill it out properly on or time.

thanks!

Tonyantonius

When registrations come in, will we be able to choose where our table can be? I want to try to have a table next to my friend 

Kimba616

Hate to add on to the growing list of questions, but is there a mailing list for AA, or is my best bet to check the site daily?

WhiteTreeFox

eeek one more question! is this still the business address and phone number of fanime? I found in earlier in the thread:

Address: 786 Auzerais Ave
San Jose, CA 95126-3503
Phone: (408) 297-8430

thank you everyone!!

VocaloidHaine

Hi~!

Sorry to add on to the list of questions~ ><;

My friend and I were planning to share a table together & it's our first year selling at the AA, we were wondering if ONE of our other friends can sit with us at the table to help us sell, just an extra pair of hands. (I'm aware of the rule of only 2 person behind a table, but just wanted to ask.) Thank you for reading! ;w;

rosaleendhu

Quote from: WhiteTreeFox on January 16, 2011, 10:17:24 PM
hi, I had a question about the seller's permit and was wondering if anyone could help me? I was googling for help on filling it out and I found this bit on an AX forum:

Quote** The BOE apparently does not process application earlier than 30 days from the selling date. Since the selling date is 7/2, that means they won't take your application for processing until 6/2.

the full thing is here: http://www.anime-expo.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10712

I know this is from an AX site and fanime may be different, but since I'm pretty sure we do need the permit to register for the table way early, what should I do, has this changed and you can get a permit anyway? I hope this makes sense, I don't want to miss out on a table because I didn't fill it out properly on or time.

thanks!
Fanime is usually pretty good about giving us a fair amount of warning for the day tables will go on sale, and they'll tell us exactly what we need then.  If they do decide to absolutely require the permit number when we register, you will have enough time to print out the rules and go to the BoE in person and explain the situation.  I think the 30 day thing is for mailed/phoned in applications, but you can always call the BoE and ask.  I've always found them to be really helpful.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: idontknow on January 16, 2011, 12:35:06 AM
Should we already have a paid registration before renting out an AA table? Or is it possible to rent an AA table and register later?

It's good to have a paid registration to be safe. The AA registration form has been changing pretty much every year, so you may or may not have to have to enter your registration number when registering. I will get back to you if I find out more!

Quote from: summerchristmas838 on January 16, 2011, 01:52:47 AM
..and continuing on the previous question by someone else, if that friend we want to share the table with is a few months shy of 16, then what?

You have to be 16 to sell at Fanime, so I'm fairly sure your friend will have to wait until next year to begin selling unless they turn 16 before the convention starts. :x

Quote from: Tonyantonius on January 17, 2011, 03:48:42 PM
When registrations come in, will we be able to choose where our table can be? I want to try to have a table next to my friend 

Yes, this is where the "group leader" thing comes in. An appointed "group leader" can request for their group of usually up to 10 tables to be seated together, and can also pick exactly where in the AA layout they want those tables to be at out of the remaining available spaces.

Quote from: Kimba616 on January 17, 2011, 07:02:21 PM
Hate to add on to the growing list of questions, but is there a mailing list for AA, or is my best bet to check the site daily?

Check the site and the forums, but also email artistalley[at]fanime.com to be added onto any possible mailing list that may be used later on.

Quote from: WhiteTreeFox on January 19, 2011, 11:00:52 AM
eeek one more question! is this still the business address and phone number of fanime? I found in earlier in the thread:

Address: 786 Auzerais Ave
San Jose, CA 95126-3503
Phone: (408) 297-8430

thank you everyone!!

I'm not 100% since I have a permanent seller's permit and thus haven't filled out the form for a while, but the address shouldn't have changed from last year.

Quote from: VocaloidHaine on January 19, 2011, 09:25:52 PM
Hi~!

Sorry to add on to the list of questions~ ><;

My friend and I were planning to share a table together & it's our first year selling at the AA, we were wondering if ONE of our other friends can sit with us at the table to help us sell, just an extra pair of hands. (I'm aware of the rule of only 2 person behind a table, but just wanted to ask.) Thank you for reading! ;w;

Sorry, it's only 2 people behind a table at any time. That's not to say you 3 can't switch off, though!

Phew~ Lots of questions! I'll try to check forums more often now that the threads are more active. Sorry for the wait, everyone!
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

ewu

you want to have a paid registration. the payment will not be linked, but the systems will probably talk to each other.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

WhiteTreeFox

Quote from: rosaleendhu on January 20, 2011, 03:10:33 AM

thanks!
Fanime is usually pretty good about giving us a fair amount of warning for the day tables will go on sale, and they'll tell us exactly what we need then.  If they do decide to absolutely require the permit number when we register, you will have enough time to print out the rules and go to the BoE in person and explain the situation.  I think the 30 day thing is for mailed/phoned in applications, but you can always call the BoE and ask.  I've always found them to be really helpful.

I guess I'll have to call and ask then, I don't live anywhere near a BoE office ): thank you for your reply though I appreciate it!

also does anyone know what tables will cost this year? Should I put down what it was last year or do we have enough time to wait for it to be announced? I do have to mail it in since I don't live nearby so I hope there will be enough time for it to be all processed. anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

thank you again, you guys are super awesome :)

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: WhiteTreeFox on January 22, 2011, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: rosaleendhu on January 20, 2011, 03:10:33 AM

thanks!

also does anyone know what tables will cost this year? Should I put down what it was last year or do we have enough time to wait for it to be announced? I do have to mail it in since I don't live nearby so I hope there will be enough time for it to be all processed. anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

thank you again, you guys are super awesome :)

Registration is planned to begin sometime in February. Crossing our fingers for the earlier, the better! If you do not think that is adequate time before the convention, it should be safe to put down last year's table price. I don't think the BoE will care too much if it's perhaps $5-10 or so difference per table. Good luck!
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Ren_Zhao

Hi everyone! Update: You will need to have a paid Fanime badge (i.e., your registration number) for AA registration, but not your permit number. As long as you get your seller's permits before the time of the actual convention, you all have nothing to worry about! So, feel free to wait until registration has begun to send in your seller's permit applications, as that should be more than enough time before the convention begins. Hope that will relieve much of the anxiety regarding permits for now. :P
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Tonyantonius

Well thats a major relief.
I have another question though, Does the artist alley have outlets? I wish to bring my laptop to search up references when doing commissions 

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Tonyantonius on January 24, 2011, 10:07:53 AM
I have another question though, Does the artist alley have outlets? I wish to bring my laptop to search up references when doing commissions 

The AA will not provide you with outlets, but usually if you bring your laptop to the staff table at the front of the hall, you can leave it to charge there if you really need to. Same with dead phones, etc. Otherwise, just bring a laptop with a good battery and/or a spare battery.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

ewu

know that running of powercords and using any of the power outlets in the room are strictly prohibited. gas generators? H3LL no....car batteries and inverters, ok:) have fun carrying it!:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Tonyantonius on January 24, 2011, 10:07:53 AM

Artist alley does have outlets but I REALLY ADVISE NO. Artist alley really don't want anyone to recharge their batteries while sitting down. My best advice for reference is try grabbing a magazine or Ask your customers to provide an image reference!.... (sorry everyone, I just want to warn everyone and save their embarrassments....)

cowsrcute

I'm just wondering since me and my sister wants to sell at fanime but we also got another little sister. She isn't selling anything but shes to young for me to let her run around herself. Could she stay at the table with me and my other sister? Or can me and my other sister take turns at the table so theres still only 2 people at the table so my little sidter can hang out there so we dont go over 2 ppl? Thanks!

Hachimitsu

Quote from: cowsrcute on January 26, 2011, 01:00:19 PM
I'm just wondering since me and my sister wants to sell at fanime but we also got another little sister. She isn't selling anything but shes to young for me to let her run around herself. Could she stay at the table with me and my other sister? Or can me and my other sister take turns at the table so theres still only 2 people at the table so my little sidter can hang out there so we dont go over 2 ppl? Thanks!
if shes little its okay to have her in the table along with your friend, even though its only 2 chairs I sometimes see a third person doing helping and taking care of their younglings! So I think its a yes!

ewu

Always only 2 chairs:) a younger sister is clearly acceptable, but helpers are a notion that we have not specifically said anything on, but definitely frown upon. Only 2 people allowed to sell. A third hanging out maybe ok....maybe even watching the $$s....but touching artwork and speaking to customers is clearly in a zone that we do not like. Don't spoil it for others and make us need to establish a hard rule about only 2 people behind the table.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom