Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

misosoupaddict

"Seller's permit number" is the same as the "account number" on the permit, right?

ALSO, where exactly on the site will we access AA registration once it's open? (site's navigation is a little confusing/requires extra clicking)
Find me in Artist's Alley 2011!
deviantart gallery

Aya Brea X

Quote from: ewu on February 19, 2010, 09:58:37 PM
The price was $30 last year and only those that registered at con were allowed to select their tables, which numbered around 100.

The demand has been high for a number of years but in the end the $30 was not covering the cost of the tables and chairs let alone anywhere near the cost of the room.

FYI - AX is $100, SakuraCon is $100, Anime Boston $80 (8ft) and Sac Anime is $45(NOT including the $30 table that you can rent).

Even at $200 per table you could not hope to recoup the price of renting out the hall and hardware.  If the point was purely fiscal in terms of making money from AA ONLY CONSIDERING the table rental fee, you might as well shut it down and not have an artist alley and save many thousands of dollars.  It's something for the attendees to check out as well as the artists to do (and something for you guys to staff at).  We might not be the #1 reason people go to Fanime, but we're certainly one of the reasons.  I suppose even if tomorrow there's no more AA at Fanime people would still go to your con, but be less satisfied.  I have no idea what your fiscal picture looks like, but the 45 registration fees for attendees go to covering stuff, too.

I guess if my parents were still paying my bills, then the exponential price hikes every con is doing would not bother me, but there's only so much loss I could eat before it's just more sane to go to the con, sit in a corner and doodle with others who cannot afford this luxury.  When AX hit 100 I just gave it up and joined staff.  Where is this going to stop?  Until we're paying the same price as the dealers so you guys are a bit closer to recoping cost?  I'd rather just take that money and fly to Japan for the weekend.

Not the end of the world, mind you, but it's still kind of sad.

ewu

Unfortunately, its just that, you have no idea what our fiscal picture is, nor the costs of putting on a con. AA was never a place for an artist to make money, it has been to provide a location to share your wares.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

whatt

Quote from: ewu on February 24, 2010, 11:11:51 PM
Unfortunately, its just that, you have no idea what our fiscal picture is, nor the costs of putting on a con. AA was never a place for an artist to make money, it has been to provide a location to share your wares.
wait, so artists don't really make a profit at fanime? :\ i'm flying in and now i'm scared of putting all my money into something that won't be worth it  :'(

jAded

Honestly, most artists are happy if they break even by selling at the artist alley. Profit margin is completely dependent on how well your wares can cater to your audience. It's a risk that you have to be willing to take because I've seen people struggle, and I've seen people really successful. I know people who do well and all they do is travel to conventions to sell their artwork.

So ultimately, whether you make money or not is dependent on you: your skills/wares, but I wouldn't bank on the artist ally making a huge profit for you. If you go in with that mindset, more often than not, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Quote from: whatt on February 24, 2010, 11:29:25 PMwait, so artists don't really make a profit at fanime? :\ i'm flying in and now i'm scared of putting all my money into something that won't be worth it  :'(

Oniko

$50 does not seem that much for a table.  I've talked to a few people flipping out about it but really I dont see the big deal.  It's supply and demand, last year so many people wanted a table I think it's smart of the AA staff to have raised prices.  It's still not as bad as I have heard from other cons.  Besides I would certainly hope I can at least make $50 in selling stuff.
Also most people have 2 artist per table.  At least I've noticed a lot of sharing, so if your smart about it you split the price.  $25 is really cheap for a table.  So if your worried about covering your cost how about sharing?  When it gets closer to May there are always post about people looking for anyone willing to share a table. I've always shared mine with another.  It also helps when one of you can stay while the other gets food XD
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Althena

uhm... a bit of a deterrent question, but, how many tables will be available this year for the AA?
here lies everything...the world I wanted at my feet... my victory's complete...

Hakoshi

I have a question so my friend who plans to share a table with me at the artist alley. She is in college in Canada and won't be coming back to San Jose until the end of April. So I was wondering and asking does she have to have a permit as well, even when I'm purchasing the full table and I have a seller  permit. Or can she get a permit when she gets back to the states and still join me at my artist table? 

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Hakoshi on February 25, 2010, 11:59:15 PM
I have a question so my friend who plans to share a table with me at the artist alley. She is in college in Canada and won't be coming back to San Jose until the end of April. So I was wondering and asking does she have to have a permit as well, even when I'm purchasing the full table and I have a seller  permit. Or can she get a permit when she gets back to the states and still join me at my artist table? 

Since you two are sharing, if you already have a permit and are the one that registers for the table, it should be fine. As long as she gets the permit before convention, she will be able to participate in the artist alley. :]
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

Aya Brea X

I have an idea of how much your hall rentals costs, enough to know that to try to break as a convention on AA table rentals alone is a ridiculous proposition. 

I have NEVER made that much money on AA when combined with table costs plus badge plus hotel.  It took me several years to scrape past break even.  I did not say I refuse to not make a profit, what I am saying is there is only so much I am willing to eat loss-wise to do this. 

Tony

Quote from: Aya Brea X on February 28, 2010, 08:23:42 PM

I have an idea of how much your hall rentals costs, enough to know that to try to break as a convention on AA table rentals alone is a ridiculous proposition. 

I have NEVER made that much money on AA when combined with table costs plus badge plus hotel.  It took me several years to scrape past break even.  I did not say I refuse to not make a profit, what I am saying is there is only so much I am willing to eat loss-wise to do this. 
Not to squash discussion, but I'd like to politely suggest you start a new thread on this subject, and that we leave this thread dedicated to Q&A for AA. Maybe I can offer some insight into the hows & whys there.

BTW, I very much appreciate you not totally flaming out on us, like the OP in the other thread. >.< Having been self-employed in the past, I can relate to the frustrations you're coming up against, and so can understand that it's hard not to just unload.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

LiL Moon

Hi! Are we allowed to have helpers behind the table as well? I've asked this question before and I've seen others ask it, but it hasn't seemed to have been answered.  ???

UsakoMinako

Hello all!
I know in this economy for some $50 is more like 500. You could go to the SF cherry blossom festival and get a space for $450 2 days. Even if I don't break even at AA, just the experience of meeting new people and finding new artists, talking to customers will be a ton of fun ^_^
Some cons and fairs make you jump through so many hoops, application processes etc.-Fanime seems to have a standard set of requirements and for that I am greatful ^_^
As an artisan, a person will find that making the money has alot to do with your presentation and your communication with your audience. On your journies you will also find out where the best places to go and show and sell your wares may be. If you start with small goals, such as covering the table cost first, then you will find yourself being much happier with your AA income results:)
Go to the con to enjoy your stay! Don't stress yourself out!

jAded

Quote from: LiL Moon on March 02, 2010, 08:32:57 PM
Hi! Are we allowed to have helpers behind the table as well? I've asked this question before and I've seen others ask it, but it hasn't seemed to have been answered.  ???

In the past, you can have someone behind the table with you to help you sell. No more than two people are allowed behind a table at any given time.

megamoth

Question: are there height/line of sight limitations for table signage? I would like to snazz up the table this year with pvc signs, as I have seen other AA exhibitors do, but I was wondering on what specific height we should build the PVC frame.

ps. I would also like to add how appreciative I am of the staff (I always like to add this, but as an event coordinator myself I am SERIOUSLY grateful) Also, for the most part, there have been some really cool and helpful people on these forums. To those of you who are part of the solution, you ROCK.  Thank you. ;D

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: megamoth on March 02, 2010, 09:46:33 PM
Question: are there height/line of sight limitations for table signage? I would like to snazz up the table this year with pvc signs, as I have seen other AA exhibitors do, but I was wondering on what specific height we should build the PVC frame.

The height of your PVC stand doesn't matter as long as it's stable, so feel free to do what you want with your setup. :] However, if it falls over or looks like it will, then we have a problem.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: LiL Moon on March 02, 2010, 08:32:57 PM

Like jAded said, helpers are definitely allowed, but just make sure you mention who your helper is during registration so the staff can get an idea of how many people will be behind the tables at con.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Hakoshi

I had another question do we hae to notify staff, if a friend come sto watch our table? Such as if the two artists have a gathering to go too or need to get food, ect. Can we have someone who isn't registered in the artist alley watch the table? Also all my friends have a gathering to go too on Sunday 12pm, so would I just set the table up after then or do I have to be there all day Sunday?

Kyra_Maverick

I've seen people pack up their money and leave their tables as-is for a short time. Some make signs along the lines of "Off to Gathering/Arcade/Showing/Panel, be back @ 1:00"

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Hakoshi on March 03, 2010, 03:43:42 PM
I had another question do we hae to notify staff, if a friend come sto watch our table? Such as if the two artists have a gathering to go too or need to get food, ect. Can we have someone who isn't registered in the artist alley watch the table? Also all my friends have a gathering to go too on Sunday 12pm, so would I just set the table up after then or do I have to be there all day Sunday?

It's probably preferred that you try asking the people at the tables around you before asking someone who isn't registered in the artist alley, just so the staff is sure about who is behind the tables at all times. Usually if you ask your neighbors to watch your table to make sure nothing bad happens to your things they won't mind it at all.

Your table will still be waiting for you if you come in and set up after the gathering on Sunday (as long as you check in on time on Friday/Saturday morning), not to worry. :]
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011